Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Vortex Crossfire 2-7x Scout Scope?Vortex Crossfire 2-7x Scout Scope?
Previous

Next
New Post
5/21/2016 7:05 PM

Ive been lurking around here for a couple years now but I finally decided to sign up and start posting.

I have a Marlin .30-30 that Im looking to put a scout scope on.  While I know that Scott holds the Leupolds in very high regard (and I have nothing against them myself) but Im looking for something a bit cheaper.  I only spent $300 on the rifle and Im not looking to put that much more money into the gun.  Im a huge fan of Vortex red dots but I dont know much about their scopes.  It is part of their crossfire II line.  MSRP is $200 but you can find them on Amazon at the moment for $125.

It appears to be a relatively new product.  Does anybody have experience with the new Vortex scout scope specifically? If not, what is the general consensus on Vortex scopes?

Also, I'll be using a XS leverscout rail with undetermined rings (any suggestions?)

New Post
5/21/2016 9:14 PM

The Vortex scopes are generally regarded as good to go. I've never had one myself though. Their scout offering is a bit heavy for a scout scope and I think I'd be looking at the Burris 2.75x or 2-7x if you wanted to save a little cash over the Leupold. The price is good though... even better than the Burris. I will say that scopes have come and gone for me over the last five years but my Leupold Scout Scope is still here and is still my preferred optic for normal hunting situations.

Rings are interesting because generally scout scopes can use some pretty low rings thanks to their skinny objective lenses. Warne Quick Release rings are well regarded but I've been running Weaver Quad Lock rings because they're the lightest ones I've found. They also happen to be dirt cheap which is pretty cool too.

For 30mm rings the lowest and lightest I've found have been the Vortex rings.

Measure for your rings twice and buy once. Those with more lever gun experience can advise you better but I'd worry about the receiver interfering with the lowest rings so you might need mediums. For example, on my bolt gun the eye piece of my scope is lower than the rail with a 32mm objective in the lowest 30mm Vortex rings. In contrast a 28mm objective sits just above the rail in one inch Weaver Quad Lock Low rings.

This means the 32mm objective won't clear a full length XS rail and that's one of the reasons I took it off. I actually ran into comb height issues (worse than what I had before) when I was running the XS rail on my Ruger Scout. Thus, if a scout scope is in your future I'd recommend staying away from full length rails unless you need the comb dropped.

Edit: For reference the comb on a 1895GBL is to low for me with iron sights so YMMV and all that.

New Post
5/22/2016 9:08 PM

Just received my vortex scout last week, waiting on rings to mount, and as was said, medium rings are needed, but it's to clear eyepiece, or ocular end, not the objective, the adjustment ring makes that the big end. Obviously since I haven't mounted the scope, I have no performance review, but it seems sturdy enough built, and the glass is nice and clear. Not sure when I will get around to getting it all put together, but I will let you know my further impressions when I do.

New Post
5/22/2016 9:35 PM

I think the Vortex is worth a shot since they have a good name and the scope has a great price.

I plan to go with the lowest rings I can fit since I have no problem with the height of the current iron sight axis.  Interestingly the ocular lens housing is larger than the objective lens housing so that will be my limiting factor.  Vortex given dimensions for the scope, but I had to email XS for dimensions on their leverscout to see specifically how large the center cutaway is to know how low I could go. I think I will go with the Weaver Quad Locks because they can detach without fancy tools and are light and cheap.  Ill know what size to get when I hear back from them.

Im pretty new to pairing scopes to rifles since every scoped rifle Ive owned I bought with a scope already on it.  Finding the right rings is a situation I havent had to deal with before and have never given much thought to.

New Post
5/26/2016 12:54 PM

Well, I got around to mounting my vortex scout today. I used warne medium QD rings, and they seem pretty ideal in height. Since it is the ocular end that is bigger and requires the higher rings, it stays pretty close to the bore axis, and doesn't mess with cheek weld. The glass itself is clear as Ive come to expect from Vortex. Eye relief is most forgiving at higher magnifications, but is fine at the lowest. Construction appears rugged.

Weather is pretty rough in my part of Texas right now (no electricity as I write this, had to wear a headlamp to mount the scope), so I won't be able to zero it today, but so far I'm pleased with the scope, especially at its price point.

New Post
5/26/2016 3:37 PM

Thanks for the report.  It looks like I might have a buyer lined up for my car so as soon as I sell it Ill probably be ordering the mount and scope holding off on rings until I can take some better measurements on the rail.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Vortex Crossfire 2-7x Scout Scope?Vortex Crossfire 2-7x Scout Scope?