Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Quick Loop SlingsQuick Loop Slings
Previous

Next
New Post
5/24/2016 12:57 PM

Seen in another thread, this caught my attention:

scothill wrote:
One of the two reasons I prefer the VCAS over the VTAC is that with a bit of patience on the front mounting position I can use the front loop as a Rhodesian setup. I have been doing it for years before I even knew the term. It is very positive, and just as quick as a Ching without all the extra loops and studs. 

I've seen others reference doing this with the VCAS (Magpul MS1, too), but never have heard it said that it was as fast for them as a Ching sling.

I'm in the process of putting together a web store for a VTAC/Ching related design of my own, so I'd be very interested in hearing more about the setup involved in getting the VCAS put together as a rhodesian rig that works that fast. I want to know as much as possible about how people use other loop slings before I start telling everyone mine's better.

I'd appreciate anyone's input on their experience with loop slings in the real world, particularly tactical slings that pull double duty with some sort of improvised loop. How many actually practice with and use a loop sling?

New Post
5/25/2016 4:35 PM

My experience with the Ching Sling is that you constantly have to be managing the location of the middle strap. It just doesn't stay nice and open like in the pictures. That means that it is not big loop, but rather something I have to blade hand through. I found it interesting that every time Randy Cain picked up a rifle during the class or changed its position from carry to use he adjusted the position of the middle strap, and my guess is that he doesn't even realize it, as it is now so automatic. The other thing is that I like the loop high up on my bicep, and in both cases find that it is not uncommon for me to need to shove it a bit higher with my shooting hand. Both of those factors mean that it takes time to get into the loop. I know that it goes against conventional thought on the Ching, but that is my personal experience. A hasty is faster than either and what I use unless I have time to sling up. If I have time, for me getting into it there is no difference between a Ching and using the VCAS that same way.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/26/2016 9:12 AM

I shoot using a "Rhodesian" style sling fairly often and have taken animals while using it as a support.

I use one of Andy's slings on a 1895GBL and a DIY nylon version I made before I knew someone was selling such a sling on my Ruger Scout Rifle.

It's very fast to get into. When not slung I carry it with the rearward part of the loop retained by my support hand. This means I can just slide my hand through it without thought.

Much like scothill I prefer to have the loop high on my bicep and will adjust it higher on occasion. With practice I can get it about half way up my bicep without adjusting things and this is sufficient.

New Post
5/26/2016 4:22 PM

He's no longer in business but the Riflecraft RS series of slings are amazeballs.

New Post
6/6/2016 12:16 AM

the0thermrt wrote:
He's no longer in business but the Riflecraft RS series of slings are amazeballs.

Thats too bad. Riflecraft made some great slings.

But that gives me an idea... Hey Hill Bros, I've got this great gear idea! (it's worth a shot)

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Quick Loop SlingsQuick Loop Slings