Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Bridging a GapBridging a Gap
Previous

Next
New Post
6/7/2016 11:44 AM

Dear All at HPG - I stumbled across an article in Soldier Systems today that brings a real good looking practical bridge to a common firearms gap issue. 

From Chiappa Firearms (unknown to myself) have introduced a product known as X-Calibre Inserts.  With this, you can convert an over/under break barrel 12 ga. to fire 20ga, 410ga/45COLT, 45ACP, 44MAG, 40S&W, 357MAG/38SPL, 9MM, 380ACP.  20 gauge adapters are available to shoot: 410ga/45COLT, 45ACP, 357MAG/38SPL, 9MM.

This is super interesting to myself, as you know pistol ownership up in The Great White North has a myriad of issues.  This has the potential to not only be super useful but, a great way of expanding your inventory.

Craig

New Post
6/7/2016 3:59 PM

Everything I have heard about performance has been poor. Its an interesting idea but I can't really come up with a practical application, my focus has always been on keeping a stable fed on as few (and as common) calibers as possible and stacking it deep.

If you have a 12 or 20g I would think the money (or weight) for this kit would be better spent on good 12 or 20g shells.

New Post
6/8/2016 6:50 AM

Fowler - good to know, scratch it from my memory, and ack your point about the common calibres. I don't delve into it much just now as work has kept me from getting out into the bush for the last three deer seasons and I have plenty of range time at work.

Craig

New Post
6/12/2016 3:24 PM

Sub caliber inserts have been available from others for quite some time.

I ran a 12 gauge to 38 special insert (12" I think) from Ace Dube / MCA sports years ago as a dispatch gun and for misc culling. They work as advertised. This was before I got my first suppressors. The subcaliber inserts bring 38 Special cowboy loads out of a +20" singleshot shotgun down to almost hearing safe I would guess. The 12g bore after the insert works as a big expansion chamber. They are surprisingly accurate with just a gold bead...if you do your part. Anything I put down with it, stayed put down.

They do take a single shot shotgun to a whole new level of quiet and versatility.

I have tossed the idea around about getting a couple NEF/H&R 12g single shots. Cutting them to 19", JB Weld solid irons, and get rifled 22lr and 9mm insert from ShortLane adapters. I think it would make a good "loaner" or truck gun. Reliable, durable, simple manual of arms, and access to many different ammo options. 

Probably a good thing I didn't have access to these as a kid...

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Bridging a GapBridging a Gap