Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Speer Gold Dot .223 AmmoSpeer Gold Dot .223 Ammo
Previous

Next
New Post
6/9/2016 5:15 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on how well Speer Gold Dor .223 ammo functions in a 16in AR, both the 64 and 75 gr? I have seen some gel tests that look impressive, however I have read reports that accuracy may be lacking.

New Post
6/9/2016 5:48 PM

For your reading enjoyment. IMHO DocGKR is one of the best sources out there on this topic:

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm#mozTocId394444

New Post
6/9/2016 10:29 PM

I have a boat load of the 64gr. PSA sells it on sale frequently. Sometimes free shipping.

As far as how well it functions, there are so many different AR's out there with so many chamber variations, it is hard to say across the board. I have no issues with it. The accuracy will vary with your gun, twist rate, chamber, and what your barrel likes.

Two AR's with the same exact specs and manufacture may favor one load over another. You can get some general ideas, but it just depends on how far you want to go in relation to accuracy. Minute of man or minute of angle?

There may be better loads. I suggest it is a decent load. I have paid $9.99/box, not bad for the class of ammo. Your mileage may vary.

Lug1.... If you falter in a time of trouble, how small is your strength?

New Post
6/10/2016 7:02 AM

Thanks for the feedback! PSA is where I saw the deal on the ammo, I thought it may be one of those deals that no one was buying due to poor performing loads. I will try a few boxes to see how my rifle likes it.

New Post
6/17/2016 1:44 PM

I run factory loaded 64 gr Gold Dot though my 12.5" MSTN/Noveske as it's all purpose load.. It is reliable, accurate, and consistent in my experience over approx. 700 rounds.

I also use this load in my LMT 14.5" and BCM 12.5" carbines. It works just as well in them. It is time to order another case actually.

I will note that there are two measures of accuracy. Paper and realistic. Other than establishing a solid zero, my using guns don't shoot paper. I could not tell you how this stuff groups, just that I hit what I shoot at far more often than not. This is on small targets like gophers up to big game. In my book that is accurate.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Speer Gold Dot .223 AmmoSpeer Gold Dot .223 Ammo