Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Barnes Precision Match 85gr 5.56: Thoughts?Barnes Precision Match 85gr 5.56: Thoughts?
Previous

Next
New Post
6/24/2016 6:30 AM

Wondering if any of our experienced backcountry folks here on the HPG Forum have tried these bullets in their AR.  If your barrel twist rate is 1:8 or faster, these should stabilize well, and yield a pretty high ballistic coefficient.  I've got a 1:7 twist in my DDM4, so they ought to shoot well through my rifle.  Aside from having a longer range 5.56mm bullet that will arrive with some more punch, one other thing that is attracting me to them is that they are magazine capable, meaning they will feed properly as opposed to being loaded as single shot rounds.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/463...

Has anyone tried these out for longer range shooting?  If so, how do you like them?

Thanks for any info!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/24/2016 3:32 PM

Went ahead and ordered two boxes of it from Bass Pro Shops...they actually had it in stock!  Figured I would try it out in my Daniel Defense.  If my carbine likes it, I think it could be a great bullet for longer distances once I get moved back out west!  Counting the days until then, for certain!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/25/2016 7:50 PM

I'm quite curious to know what that load chronos out of a 16in barrel.  Its gotta be moving pretty slow.  I'd just shoot M855 or 62gr PMC and use M855A1 (if I could get some, I'm figuring you can) as it's barrier blind and use 62gr Federal Fusion if I wanted to hunt whitetails with it.

New Post
6/25/2016 8:10 PM

Take-a-knee wrote:
I'm quite curious to know what that load chronos out of a 16in barrel.  Its gotta be moving pretty slow.  I'd just shoot M855 or 62gr PMC and use M855A1 (if I could get some, I'm figuring you can) as it's barrier blind and use 62gr Federal Fusion if I wanted to hunt whitetails with it.

It does start off slower, but then picks up.  I've been mostly going with 77gr Black Hills Match (blue box, but I have bought red box on occasion).  The 1:7 twist in my barrel likes 77 gr.  It'll stabilize the lighter bullets pretty well...but I wanted something arriving with some punch out at longer distances.  The Barnes 85gr should do that even better.  I've read that many guys are getting sub-MOA performance at ~ 100 yards with them, and zero key-holing. Once I get to try it out locally, it might be my preferred round to have on hand once I get to move back out west for good.  The latest issue of AR-15 Magazine has a pretty good article all about this bullet, how it stacks up against other bullets, and how it performs in different ARs.

Here are some test stats I pulled off another forum:  

Chrono velocities from the 19 April '15.... 

Shoots great ! Just under 1 MOA at 100yds 

Both barrels are 1n7 twist, I saw no signs of keyholing in either barrel, ammo is loaded to mag length, and I experienced no feeding problems. 

2 ea 10 round groups fired from both barrels, for a total of 20 rds per rifle. 80 degrees, approx. 232 ft above sea level 

Velocities from my rifles 

Brand of ammo ..................Headstamp.................16" V7 Middie, Wylde......................20" PSA CHF Wylde. 

Barnes 85gr OTM.5.56.......BBR 5.56 13..................Av. 2482 Fps, ES 32......................Av. 2565 Fps, ES 48 

New Post
6/28/2016 3:58 PM

My bullets arrived today...I sure hope I can find some time soon to try them out.  I measured their length against a standard 5.56 mm round and from their appearance...no difference.  However, these are not for use in a 223 Remington chambered rifle....only 5.56.  I think this is because they are technically a 224.  As long as the carbine / AR is chambered for 5.56 or labeled "Multi" like my Daniel Defense, these should work.  The real test will be to eventually get to use some at long distances out west, or maybe this fall down at my Tracker buddy Mike Hull's place south of Charlottesville.  I'm also going to ask a couple of my former 10th Group buddies that are currently gunsmiths in Colorado about this round.  Both have spent time as SOTIC trained snipers and have plenty of time behind lots of rifles at longer ranges.  My hope is that this will be "the round" to carry in the backcountry for times when I want to carry my AR as opposed to a bigger bore gun.

New Post
6/28/2016 5:05 PM

alpendrms wrote:

My bullets arrived today...I sure hope I can find some time soon to try them out.  I measured their length against a standard 5.56 mm round and from their appearance...no difference.  However, these are not for use in a 223 Remington chambered rifle....only 5.56.  I think this is because they are technically a 224.

Same diameter.  The difference between a SAAMI 223 chamber and a mil/5/56mm chamber is the latter has a longer throat (think Weatherby freebore) and guns so chambered are rated to a higher chamber pressure.  That is, the 223 SAAMI chamber is rated to a lower pressure than the mil chamber.

New Post
6/28/2016 5:07 PM

alpendrms wrote:

I'm also going to ask a couple of my former 10th Group buddies that are currently gunsmiths in Colorado about this round.  Both have spent time as SOTIC trained snipers and have plenty of time behind lots of rifles at longer ranges. 

Them SOTIC-trained dudes are bad-to-the-bone, or so I've been told:)

New Post
6/28/2016 5:10 PM

Take-a-knee wrote:
alpendrms wrote:

My bullets arrived today...I sure hope I can find some time soon to try them out.  I measured their length against a standard 5.56 mm round and from their appearance...no difference.  However, these are not for use in a 223 Remington chambered rifle....only 5.56.  I think this is because they are technically a 224.

Same diameter.  The difference between a SAAMI 223 chamber and a mil/5/56mm chamber is the latter has a longer throat (think Weatherby freebore) and guns so chambered are rated to a higher chamber pressure.  That is, the 223 SAAMI chamber is rated to a lower pressure than the mil chamber.

Ah...got it.  Well....I haven't found anybody else I know yet that has tried them, but I will be putting some through my rifle soon (I hope).  Based on my research so far, they ought to be pretty squared away.  Both of my gunsmith buddies that are also former Group guys have gotten back to me and said they haven't tried them, but have heard good things.  I'm also waiting to hear back from a third SF buddy of mine that is currently in a gunsmith school.  He might have played with them.

New Post
7/1/2016 9:55 AM

I like the range reports from the dude that goes by the internet handle of Molon. If you google "molon 85 grain barnes", links to range reports at M4Carbine.net and Lightfigher.net will pop up.

Question for anyone: what's the terminal performance expectation of this bullet? Barnes is known for their expanding bullets, but this looks like a more traditional OTM. Is it supposed to open up, or tumble? If the former, what's the minimum velocity it needs to do so? I couldn't find any data either way.

Thanks in advance for entertaining the geek-nerd questions.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Barnes Precision Match 85gr 5.56: Thoughts?Barnes Precision Match 85gr 5.56: Thoughts?