Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Leupold VXR 1.5-5 IERLeupold VXR 1.5-5 IER
Previous

Next
New Post
6/19/2016 11:55 AM

sheltowee wrote:
How much does eye relief change when changing from 1.5 to 5 power when using the VXR 1.5-5 IER? Do you have to creep closer to get proper sight picture? Does anyone have experience with both the 2.5 scout scope and the VXR 1.5 to 5 scout scope on a GSR? And if so does the added magnification benefits outway the extra weight of the vxr?
Regards,

I have both the 2.5 fixed (currently riding on my Marlin 336 Lever Scout), and the 1.5-5 x 33 VX-R on my GSR.  Of the two scopes, I definitely like my 1.5-5 better.  Yes, I do personally believe having the extra power available is worth the added weight over the 2.5 fixed.  At 4x out to 5x, I do "crawl" the stock just a bit to get a proper sight picture, but not excessively.  The 2.5 fixed is a great scope as well, but with my eyes getting older, I know I would not be wanting to take longer shots with that scope, so that's why I keep it on the lever gun...more of a short-yardage brush gun, anyhow.  With the Leupold SOD and the MGM Throw Lever I added to the 1.5-5, it's now set up to do a lot of different shooting, at a fairly light weight.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/19/2016 6:36 PM

Thanks for the feedback on the optics, I appreciate all of the knowledge that you and others share here on the HPG Forum. I will try the VXR 1.5 to 5 on my Scout, my eyes also need more help as the I get closer to the half century mark!

New Post
6/20/2016 7:05 AM

At this point, Leupold makes 3 IER scopes, the 2.5 fixed, a 1.25-4, and the VXR 1.5-5. From a purely optics and shooting standpoint, the VXR is my favorite, but I own two of the 1.25-4 and one 2.5. The 2.5 was bought before the other two options and is a fine scope with the most eye relief. It is really hard to beat on something like a pistol caliber lever action or even a 30/30, but given the price difference between it and the 1.25-4 and weight difference at this point I just generally buy the variable due to the higher magnification. The VXR in my experience has a bit less eye relief than the non-VXR. It is also quit a bit lighter. In essence, you are getting the best of both worlds. I go back and forth on the requirement for a lit reticle. I know that I sure like it, but I just don't like the extra weight. I know get stronger and all that. What frustrates me the most is that the other VXR scopes I own are quit a bit lighter than my VXR scout. I am sure there is some reason for the weight difference, but for now I go back and forth each time I start to think about it. The last two times I opted for less weight, in one case due to the weight of the rifle itself, and in the other I just wanted a simpler lighter package, but just couldn't give up 4x over 2.5x. If you are on the fence take a long look at the 1.25-4 as it straddles the fence too.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/8/2016 3:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I ordered the VXR 1.5- 5 IER, and should have it arriving next week. I have to get it set up for a September Maine Bear hunt. I ordered the Warne low mounts and plan on starting with a 180 gr Corelok load since I have a good stock. Thought that it would be a good bear load also.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Leupold VXR 1.5-5 IERLeupold VXR 1.5-5 IER