Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...6.5 Creedmoor and 308 win6.5 Creedmoor and 308 win
Previous

Next
New Post
5/10/2018 7:45 PM

hi, I just bought a Ruger American Preditor in 6.5 CM. It’s my first 6.5 and It’s very accurate but I was wondering what you guys opinion/experience is between that and the 308 win. for hunting deer and elk ? Also, in regards to target shooting. Everyone seems to be singing praises to the 6.5

New Post
5/10/2018 10:14 PM

Every time you go down in cartridge/bullet size, the bullet you select becomes more critical. This probably would never be a problem unless you pursued something quite a bit larger than deer, as picking a bad 6.5mm bullet  today would be hard.

Having said that, a LOT of Scandinavian moose (about the size of our elk, I've read) have fallen to the 6.5x55, moreso than any other caliber.  The game officials there survey and keep "one-shot-stop" data.  They find little difference in killing power and the distance the animals run, between the 6.5 and larger calibers.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...6.5 Creedmoor and 308 win6.5 Creedmoor and 308 win