Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39...our second rifleRuger American Ranch 7.62x39...our second rifle
Previous

Next
New Post
5/15/2018 8:02 PM

Well....since my son absconded with the first one we got and the local sporting goods store had them on sale....I picked up another one so we would not have to fight about who gets it first.

I was a little bit worried because the first one shoots so well and I will admit some small fears that it might have been a fluke. Those fears were soon put to rest as soon as we got this one on paper. I mounted a Leupold VXII 2-7 and was getting nicely clustered 1.5 inch or thereabouts groups at 100 yards with zero malfunctions. We are shooting Golden Tiger FMJ. After we had it on paper, we spent the morning just shooting for fun at various targets.

I am not sure what it is about this rifle: the size, the weight, the magazine, the accuracy, or maybe all of the above, but it just works. Of all the toys in the safe, these are getting the most milage and have become a trusted campion in the truck or on the shoulder for our desert and mountain journeys.

I am also becoming quite enamored with the 7.62x39. It has a mild report, is decently accurate, will easily engage an adversary out to 300 yards or a little bit more, and ammo is compact and stores nicely for travel. I have tried it in the past, but I guess I did not pay enough attention. I can't wait to start handloading for this rifle!

I was also playing with ammo storage and figured out that 60 rounds of 7.62x39 fits perfectly in a Pelican 1030. 

I am going to head back out to the desert with my Marlin 336TK for a comparison. Right now I have no quams about the Ruger replacing the Marlin as my beat around rifle. I would like to figure out iron sights, but might just switch to QD rings and throw a back up red dot in my rifle kit bag. It would be nice if Ruger supplied the American Ranch with sights similar to the PC Carbine. I have checked out that rifle at the local gun store and really liked those sights. 

I am tempted to get one in 5.56 and use my Speer 70 grain SP load in it. I really love that bullet and have taken several whitetails and hogs with it. It performs much better than the standard 55-62 grn. SP. Here's a link to the bullet for the handloaders out there:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010619848/speer-bullets-22-caliber-224-diameter-70-grain-semi-spitzer-box-of-100#

I get a solid 3000 FPS with Varget and it makes a great all round load for the .223. 

At this point the rifle is defenately worthy of consideration  for a solid general purpose rifle.

I would post some pics, but don't currently have a hosting site. Sorry. 

I hope this information is useful,
Matt

Credo Quia Absurdum!

New Post
5/16/2018 7:32 AM

Maybe this can stand in as a picture:

I'm going to live with mine (300 blk) for a while before posting a report but so far I'm thinking it's the rifle I've been wanting for most of what I want a rifle for.

The .30 shorts (30-30, 7.62x39, 300blk) are a great choice for a knocking around caliber. They may not have the range of .308, but they have plenty of thump, are good out to 200 yards, and allow for small compact actions. Plus the noise and recoil are low. I went with 300blk because we have a relationship at Hornady and have plenty of that ammo. Plus I already had an AR and lots of p-mags in the caliber, and a suppressor that should clear pretty soon. Last I looked it was kind of hard to find good 7.62x39 subsonic ammo. With the cost of x39, it was hard not to go that way but the logistics of having two carbines supported by the same infrastructure and the other factors won out.

So far, I've had no feeding problems whatsoever and I love the abbreviated bolt throw. The plastic stock is light and made it very easy to modify (side sling swivels, pic rail on the front for a light). And the price... criminy.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/16/2018 7:42 AM

Long before "black rifles" were popular as sporting arms (35+yrs ago) a handful of us loaded that 70 gr bullet in our AR's. The magazine restricted the cartridges' OAL so we didn't get anywhere near the velocities you're getting, but a couple of my hunting buds nonetheless used them on deer to great effect. At the lower speeds we were forced to live with, the bullet didn't over-expand and penetration was more than adequate.

I would never have predicted it, but the paradigm of an accurate $300 rifle is well established these days and the performance you're getting with the Ruger American is not an aberration, it's delightfully common.

New Post
5/16/2018 7:50 AM

Evan,

What did you pay for yours if you don't mind me axing?

New Post
5/16/2018 8:39 AM

I quit price matching and just go to Sportsman's Warehouse now because they always have a decent price on things plus some good country boys working the gun counter. If memory serves, it was $470 before tax.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/16/2018 9:44 AM

You guys are killing me. Just when I thought I had settled on a cartridge and rifle you throw this into the mix along with a new cartridge that I hadn't really considered. Thanks a bunch!

New Post
5/16/2018 10:36 AM

I'm not dissing anyone's choices, but for another reason not already mentioned, the 7.62 x 39 made more sense to me personally when you could buy ammo cheap. These days, the good stuff isn't any cheaper than any other non-magnum centerfire cartridge most places.

I guess I could mooch off my brother's cache ..... he stacked it to the ceiling (literally) back when it was $89 a thousand.

New Post
5/16/2018 5:28 PM

Cool rifle but still isn't a poly-stocked Ruger Scout.  It still fills a niche because the arguement to have something chambered in commie is sound. I wonder how that rifle would shot with that Hornaday plastic tipped load?  I'm guessing pretty well. 

These rifles are out in 223/ AR mag and 308/Pmag (AICS?) I believe.  I've seen the 223 but not a 308 yet.  It appears the compact in no longer cataloged but the short stocks are available at Ruger.com.  The only question is will they accept that new mag "bottom plastic".

New Post
5/17/2018 7:08 AM

Take-a-knee wrote:

Cool rifle but still isn't a poly-stocked Ruger Scout.  It still fills a niche because the arguement to have something chambered in commie is sound.

In .308, you definitely go to the RGS with syn stock. The niche the American Ranch rifles fill is that they're around 4 ounces lighter if that matters (it does to me) and they also have the shorter bolt throw and take higher capacity magazines. What I wrestle with on the .308 scout rifle is that it feels like a waste of the caliber to have just a red dot on it. So I end up adding another three quarters of a pound in weight over a T1 to have a low powered variable. Plus the ammo is bigger and heavier, etc. The .30 shorts are pretty much only 200 yard cartridges anyway so a red dot is pretty well matched. The out the door weight (10 rounds of ammo, light, sling, optic) of my .308 scout is 8lbs 10oz. The out the door weight of my .300 blk scout is 7lbs 4oz. For me, that 1lb 6oz is the difference between leaving the rifle at home or grabbing it.

If you are only going to have one, the RGS is the right choice. You can just run irons or a t1 if you are looking to save weight even though you're kind of throwing away caliber, and you can keep a magnified optic in QR mounts for when you want the range. Since I have both, the American Ranch is quickly becoming the only carbine I ever really have around.

New Post
5/17/2018 7:16 AM

Evan, sorry for the questions bro but I'm just not up on the Ranch rifle....you mentioned mag capacity. It looks like it ships with a 5 rounder. Are there other options?

New Post
5/17/2018 7:29 AM

The 7.62x39 ships with a 5 round Ruger Mini-30 magazine, but will take any Mini-30 magazine. I find the ten round magazines about right. The 5.56/300BO ship with an AR style magazine and will take any AR style magazine. I am mostly seeing people run 10 round Magpuls in them.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Credo Quia Absurdum!

New Post
5/17/2018 7:53 AM

Yep. My 300blk came with a 10 round p-mag. I find that about right for in the rifle, but then I've usually got a couple of 20s handy as well. Note that there are 2 variants - the older ones that take proprietary 5 round rotary style mags, and the new models that take min-30 or AR mags. Both are still being offered.

New Post
5/17/2018 8:09 AM

Weird...I only saw the 5 round rotary doowop on the Ruger site. But perhaps, I didn't realize what I was looking at. Or something.

New Post
5/17/2018 9:22 AM

This page shows the various offerings:
https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleRanch/models.html

New Post
5/17/2018 9:40 AM

Thanks, makes sense now. The .300 BO is a no brainer.

New Post
5/18/2018 1:08 PM

Gents:  FWIW:  I purchased a Ruger American in 7.62x39 a few months ago because I was looking for a hunting rifle with a limited range, thinking 75-200 yds.  Others here have already noted some of its fine features: lightweight, railed, threaded for a can, nice trigger and short throw bolt. I paired the gun with a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6 x 24 to give my aging eyes an advantage.  Hornady makes two rounds that I'm consistently getting less than 1" groups at 50 yds: the 123gr SST Black (80784) and the custom SST (8074). I've shot TULA, Privi, etc. with no malfunctions but the groupings aren't as good.  All in all, a very versitile gun at a great price. 

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Ruger American Ranch 7.62x39...our second rifleRuger American Ranch 7.62x39...our second rifle