Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...6.5 Creedmoor and 308 win6.5 Creedmoor and 308 win
Previous

Next
New Post
5/10/2018 7:45 PM

hi, I just bought a Ruger American Preditor in 6.5 CM. It’s my first 6.5 and It’s very accurate but I was wondering what you guys opinion/experience is between that and the 308 win. for hunting deer and elk ? Also, in regards to target shooting. Everyone seems to be singing praises to the 6.5

New Post
5/10/2018 10:14 PM

Every time you go down in cartridge/bullet size, the bullet you select becomes more critical. This probably would never be a problem unless you pursued something quite a bit larger than deer, as picking a bad 6.5mm bullet  today would be hard.

Having said that, a LOT of Scandinavian moose (about the size of our elk, I've read) have fallen to the 6.5x55, moreso than any other caliber.  The game officials there survey and keep "one-shot-stop" data.  They find little difference in killing power and the distance the animals run, between the 6.5 and larger calibers.

New Post
5/23/2018 8:06 AM

With decent bullet choice, the 6.5 CM will run right with the .308 on elk. I am trying to transition to 6.5 CM.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...6.5 Creedmoor and 308 win6.5 Creedmoor and 308 win