Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...6.5 Creedmoor and 308 win6.5 Creedmoor and 308 win
Previous

Next
New Post
5/10/2018 7:45 PM

hi, I just bought a Ruger American Preditor in 6.5 CM. It’s my first 6.5 and It’s very accurate but I was wondering what you guys opinion/experience is between that and the 308 win. for hunting deer and elk ? Also, in regards to target shooting. Everyone seems to be singing praises to the 6.5

New Post
5/10/2018 10:14 PM

Every time you go down in cartridge/bullet size, the bullet you select becomes more critical. This probably would never be a problem unless you pursued something quite a bit larger than deer, as picking a bad 6.5mm bullet  today would be hard.

Having said that, a LOT of Scandinavian moose (about the size of our elk, I've read) have fallen to the 6.5x55, moreso than any other caliber.  The game officials there survey and keep "one-shot-stop" data.  They find little difference in killing power and the distance the animals run, between the 6.5 and larger calibers.

New Post
5/23/2018 8:06 AM

With decent bullet choice, the 6.5 CM will run right with the .308 on elk. I am trying to transition to 6.5 CM.

New Post
9/15/2018 2:11 PM

I have abonsoned the 6.5 CM idea altogether. I sold me last one about a month ago. It’s a great round but doesn’t offer anything over the 308. In fact within the distances that I hunt here in the VA (0-400 yards) the 308 is more versatile.

New Post
9/19/2018 7:39 AM

Until you reach past 800 or so most shooters won’t see much difference. After that the 6.5 has some benefits.

New Post
9/19/2018 9:38 AM

I have debated the same 6.5CM vs. 308W topic myself.

What did Heinlein write? TANSTAAFL or something like that.

The 6.5CM with most loads will shoot flatter, drift less, and recoil less. The average shooter may not be able to see a difference in hit probability…but it is there.

If you want to turn $$$ into noise the 308W has bulk surplus ammo offerings the 6.5CM does not.

The 6.5CM will be harder on barrels but few will ever burn one up. If you don’t practice enough for it to matter, you may want to hedge your external ballistic bets anyway you can and shoot the 6.5CM. If you DO shoot enough to burn up barrels…then you are probably good enough to appreciate the added insurance the 6.5CM’s better ballistics give you.

From a terminal ballistics stand point I think you would have to go over +165gr 308 bullets to see any realworld difference in tissue damage or killing ability.

I have killed plenty of stuff with a 308W and I currently don’t own one. From my experience the heavier +175gr bullets kill markedly better than the lighter 150gr and under.

I have also killed plenty of stuff with a hot 6.5mm. The 6.5’s are much less forgiving of bullet design in my experience. So do your research. 

A good shooter can do things with the better ballistics of the 6.5CM that you can’t do with the more anemic 308W.

A less skilled shooter needs to hedge their bets anyway they can to get the bullet into the hydraulics.

All things being equal the vast majority of shooters (expert to novice) will shoot the lighter recoiling 6.5CM better than the heavier recoiling 308W.

A good line in the sand for terminal performance is the distance at which a given load drops below its fragmentation threashold. Usually someplace between 1800-2200fps, depending on bullet design. I would guess the 6.5CM carries that velocity threashold a bit farther than the 308W in most cases.

Others are entitled to their own opinion but I do not consider either the 6.5CM or 308W serious elk cartridges. Will they work most of the time under good to great conditions? Sure. Are they ideal? NO!

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
9/19/2018 7:15 PM

Good post Strow, though I'd not characterize the 308 as "anemic".  I see the 6.5 Creed as THE cartridge for west of the Mississippi, if for no other reason than its markedly reduced wind drift compared to the 308.  It is really the best choice for anyone inclined (and has the skills) to dial for elevation.

Having said that, for the "Practical Rifleman" as Randy Cain refers to the Scout concept, the Creed doesn't bring anything to the table, IMO, that the 308 doesn't already posess.  Cooper said few have any business shooting past 300yd.  The Army's decades of research bear this out.  As you stated, decent milsurp 308 is less than half of the cheapest Creed ammo.

New Post
9/20/2018 11:57 AM

TAK, “anemic” may be a bit harsh. How about “efficient”?

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
9/20/2018 8:17 PM

The 308 is definitely not anemic, lol! My favorite hand load, which is not upper end, pushes a 168 grain Nosler Accubond Long Range at 2825 FPS. That’s no slouch. I prefer the three extra caliber sizes, heavier weight and more energy that it has over the 6.5CM. Here in Va we have good size whitetailed deer, big black bears (728lb stare record) and elk around the Va / Ky boarder. So, I prefer to deal with the slightly increased recoil to have the above mentioned benefits.

New Post
9/21/2018 7:51 AM

I live in a very rural county in the Appalachians of Virginia, two miles west of the Blue Ridge. The closest business that sells any variation of 6.5 is beyond reasonable driving distance. I have a Mossberg Patriot in .308 Winchester. I have a goodly stock of 165 grain soft point ammo on hand and can find a variety of 308 ammo at Wally World, a 45 minute drive away. The rifle is fitted with a Tasco 2.5-10X40. Both lenses on the scope are adjustable. This rifle will kill anything in this area, the largest game being whitetail and black bear.

Just about any variation of 6.5 is inherently accurate and the right choice of bullet put in the right place will put an animal on the ground like a bag of wet sand. I chose the 308 because I can buy ammo for it almost anywhere. That's not the case around here with 6.5.

New Post
9/21/2018 10:07 AM

I’m glad I went through the 6.5 phase and was able to gain experience loading for it and shooting it. It is very accurate but no more so than the 308. It also has less recoil than the 308 but not much less with heavier 6.5 bullets.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...6.5 Creedmoor and 308 win6.5 Creedmoor and 308 win