Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...What?What?
Previous

Next
New Post
5/23/2018 9:51 AM

What? 

This is an addition to my "need" a new gun thread. One of my requirements was capacity. Is this a deal breaker? I can get dbm rifles that have higher capacity than others and higher than lever guns. Should a rifle that only has a 5 cartridge capacity dbm be ruled out in favor of one that takes 10 or more? As and additional point Oregon (where I live) is poised to institute a gun "type" and magazine capacity law. Signatures are being collected on a ballot measure which I am postive they will get and once on the ballot this fall I am positive it will pass. This would make any gun "capable" of holding a dbm of mor than 10 rounds illegal thus ruling out the Ruger American Ranch which is currently leading the pack. Politics aside, should this influence me toward a smaller capacity rifle? I would hate to buy a rifle just to have to give it up (or register it which I think is possible under the law). What do you think about the capacity debate and the possible legal ramification of a decision toward the high capacity requirement?

New Post
5/23/2018 10:29 AM

Every person has to decide what their limit is, and what laws they are prepared to break. That being said, since I am not going to openly advocate breaking the law, it comes down to how likely you think it is the law is going into effect. Personally, I like the CZ version better anyway. The only thing that the Ruger really has over it to my way of thinking is the ability to take PMAGs. If I was in a location with a 10rd mag limit I would not hesitate to pick the CZ instead if it fit my desires. HOWEVER, if I thought registration was a possibility I would be buying every "high" capacity gun that I MIGHT ever want now and a 20+ magazines for each one, not type, but gun.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/23/2018 3:32 PM

Thanks for the input Scot. I went and reread the ballot initiative and the Ruger American Ranch woud not be impacted. It is just semi-autos. That keeps options open. I am looking at a couple of bolt actions in 7.62 X 39 the Ruger being one. 

New Post
5/23/2018 4:08 PM

When you're dealing with an oppressive institution, it can be nice to have a legal stand in for an illegal firearm -- same caliber, same mags, etc. Stock up for one and you're stocked up for the other.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/25/2018 7:27 PM

That is sound advice Evan and a smart way to keep things around and "legal". Were I going with a current caliber that I have, I would pick a gun that would do that thus making the decision easier. I am going into a different caliber and am trying to make the most grounded decision I can based on needs/wants and upcoming events. Sadly Oregon is headed the way of California as far as gun laws go. The ballot initiative is now in the signature gathering stage and I believe it will get the needed amount, then on to the election and the Governor's desk for signature. I am now leaning toward the Ruger American which has most of what I want. I can then see if I can refine it to my tastes. Let's hope for the best in all things Oregon right now. My best to you and family. 6 days to retirement!! Lot of coverage in one thread reply!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...What?What?