Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Question about peep sights Question about peep sights
Previous

Next
New Post
12/27/2018 4:06 PM

This fall I was hunting for white tails.  I was using a bolt action rifle with a scope that I've used for years.  I always take this particular rifle out in August and make sure it's zeroed in with the ammunition I'll use for hunting.  Worked well, no problems.

I was parked in a small cluster of trees and had a clear shot on a nice buck that was kind enough to stand still at about 80 yards out.  I was shooting from a tree that had fallen over.  Everything was about as perfect as could be, except that I missed.  The deer walked about 10 yards ahead and I repeated the same miss.  Clearly my scope was out.

I tested it on paper later and the point of impact was about 12" high. I don't know where or when the scope got bumped.  The rifle lives in a padded case and I tend to baby it.  It's not easy to check my rifle's sights on the day I'm hunting.

I'm toying around with putting a peep sight on a Browning BLR so that I don't repeat this event.  It already has open sights but they're not my favourite.  I've heard that Skinner Sights out of Montana are worth consideration. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with them. (I'd put this on the Facebook page but my guess is the forum has a slightly older crowd with a few more years behind them.)

I'm not into reading glasses yet and my vision is pretty good.  Most of my hunting takes place under 150 yards.

Any thoughts on Skinner Sights or peep sights on a rifle in general?

New Post
12/27/2018 4:32 PM

I assume you mean the peep sight that goes in the dovetail on the barrel. I just put some on my 10/22 takedown. I’ve only been able to shoot them a little, but so far they are much better than the factory sights.

New Post
12/27/2018 5:12 PM

Hi ChrisF
I have Skinner Sight peep-sights on a Winchester lever gun and found them to be better then the buck horn sight that is standard equipment. I liked them enough that I bought one for my 10-22 Ruger 22. Works well in both cases.
My eyes are in decline but I'm still able to use the peep site. I use scopes on my two hunting rifles however.

I have no dealings with customer service, so I have no opinion there. The peep sites from Skinner are as advertised.

New Post
12/28/2018 7:56 AM

Thanks for the responses both of you. Yes, I'm looking at the sites that screw in where a rear scope mount would go.  I'll have to place an order in the spring and try them out.

New Post
12/28/2018 1:35 PM

I had a Skinner sight on a Marlin 1895 GBL I used to own and it was simple, rugged, and effective. If I remember correctly the model I had was the Alaskan.

New Post
12/29/2018 11:47 AM

First, thank you for stopping shooting and waiting to confirm your optics. Far to many folks just start trying to swag a hit and then get applauded by idiots if they get lucky. In opinion that only leads to wounded animals, which brings me to my story. I was hunting now a bunch of years ago. I shot and the critter humped and made it into brush, probably 25yds of movement, where I couldn't see him. I waited a bit to let him expire and slowly moved up on him. I found him laying down, but with his head up looking at me, and I could see blood where he was when I shot and between him and me. I decided to put a round into his head to finish him, the grass/brush was tall enough I couldn't see the body, as I didn't like the fact he was laying there wounded. I proceeded to miss a number of shots, which were well within my capability. I knew something was wrong, but I was focused on putting him down, and I didn't have any other options I could think of, but to keep shooting. Eventually he got up and took off, I tracked him for a ways, but we lost the blood trail in the dark. The next morning I came back and tracked him further, but then lost the trail. I don't know what happened to him. To this day that messes with my head. Turns out my scope got off somehow on the flight down. My impact had moved vertically about 4-5". Best I can figure is that the round went between his spine and lungs, and the impact stunned him. I took a couple of things away from that, since then I haven't hunted without irons on my gun. I can't use them as well as I once could, but I am not going to be stuck in a situation where I have a wounded animal again and no way to place accurate shots. I knew my shots weren't going true, but without back up irons it was a matter of holding and trying to figure out where I was hitting. Now if I know my optic is off I plan on switching to irons. The other thing is to test my equipment as often as possible. There was absolutely no reason I couldn't have confirmed zero before starting the hunt. I know that it can be a pain in some places, but I still try and do it as close to the hunt and hunting area as possible. I also tend to pound on my hunting setups pretty dang hard, stump shooting to see if I can't make something come loose. Not abuse, but just lots of field time under simulated hunting conditions. For me it is no different then breaking in a pair of boots or working out my pack setup.

As far as irons only vs an optic, every study done I am aware of has demonstrated that optics on a rifle help you hit more accurately quicker. There is the added benefit that magnified optics help you see better. Including into brush and shadows, which helps you aim more accurately. I have very few rifles, one come to think of it, that don't have an rds or scope on it. They all also have irons. I am not sure I would set out to hunt iron sights only. Even with some of the nice new ones there are still a lot of variables in the field that impact their utility. I don't care what you can do on a range with irons, or an optic for that matter, the proof is what you can do with them in the field. My recommendation is that before you decide to hunt with iron sights only you test them in the field. You don't even have to shoot just take them out and get a bunch of sight pictures under different lighting and circumstances, and be honest with yourself, "are you willing to pull the trigger on an living animal under those conditions?". If the answer is no then you have you answer.

As far as the Skinner peeps, I have the barrel mounted peeps on one rifle and I am a fan they work very well. I am not a huge fan of the ones located on the action as I find them aesthetically unpleasing and I also don't see the reason for the full length mounting, which just adds bulk and weight in my opinion. I used a Williams on my BLR Scout if memory serves, and it worked well.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/30/2018 9:10 PM

Thanks veriest1. Appreciate another bit of insight about the Skinner.

Scot - I'm a softy and don't really want to watch a deer suffer. I hunt for meat and have a great appreciation for my what I'm hunting. I do try to go out in the summer and simulate hunting conditions. I'll start saving up for a Skinner and have a look at whether or not it's hunting worthy. Always a big difference between what happens when you're dry and warm at the range and when you're shivering in a bush in November.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Question about peep sights Question about peep sights