Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Glock 45 (9mm)Glock 45 (9mm)
Previous

Next
New Post
3/3/2019 7:59 AM

the G45 is a very nice feeling gun...better than the previous 19/23 series, for me personally. It shoots like a Glock...incredibly reliable and more accurate than one can shoot. The handle will prevent it from being a good hot weather canceled EDC but in cool temps it’s a non issue. This doesn’t bother me since I only carry for woods defense while backpacking and bow hunting. Loaded with Underwood Xtreme penetrators and Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman ammo it makes a fine choice for such a task. 

New Post
3/4/2019 3:42 PM

I simply "don't get it" when it comes to this gun.  IMO, they got it bassackwards.  Take a G17 and cut the grip down to take G19 mags?  Now yer talkin', same OAL/size as a Commander with and Officer's grip length.

New Post
3/5/2019 6:54 AM

TAK, that makes no sense either. Take a gun with already horrible ergos and chop the grip? Yeesh.

New Post
3/5/2019 8:11 AM

I’ve been a fan of the 19/23 for years but the grip never really felt great to me. The half inch extra barrel length of the 17 made a noticible negative difference when inside the pants but next to no functional difference in velocity and sight radius. So for me, grip feels fantastic, I get two more rounds and the functionality is all Glock.

New Post
3/5/2019 12:37 PM

El Mac wrote:
TAK, that makes no sense either. Take a gun with already horrible ergos and chop the grip? Yeesh.

Three of my Glocks have 1911 grip angles.  A little epoxy and a sander is all it takes.  I'm about to do the others soon.  That epoxy doesn't stipple like the plastic so you need to skim coat it and sprinkle aluminum oxide on it after you shape the grip.  You won't hear me tout "Glock Perfection", but they do tend to go bang, sometimes even when they shouldn't.

New Post
3/5/2019 2:01 PM

Accidental discharges are always user error / carelessness in Glocks.

Why go through all that trouble sanding and applying epoxy to a Glock just to get a 1911 grip angle - just buy an M&P!

New Post
3/5/2019 2:39 PM

chriscscs wrote:
Accidental discharges are always user error / carelessness in Glocks.

I beg to differ, I've seen clothing get caught in a holster and had a G17 go bang right by my left leg.  Shooter was a "Tier One" level instructor, combat vet, 18yrs in SF.  Glocks have gone bang hours after they were holstered, from a pull toggle on a jacket pulling the trigger when someone reached up for something on a shelf

Why go through all that trouble sanding and applying epoxy to a Glock just to get a 1911 grip angle - just buy an M&P!

I have an M&P9L, nice gun, it ain't got a 1911 grip angle either.  I'm going to epoxy it as well.

New Post
3/5/2019 2:40 PM

In all fairness, M&Ps haven't quite built the same reputation for reliability as Glocks. That being said, they are the modern double stack pistol with ergos most like a 1911 which is why I carry one. And the 2.0s seem to have addressed any and all reliability issues and also the trigger issues of gen 1. Buy one, change the sights for nicer (although you don't have to because they come with plenty good metal sights), and drive on.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/5/2019 2:40 PM

chriscscs wrote:
I’ve been a fan of the 19/23 for years but the grip never really felt great to me. The half inch extra barrel length of the 17 made a noticible negative difference when inside the pants but next to no functional difference in velocity and sight radius. So for me, grip feels fantastic, I get two more rounds and the functionality is all Glock.

If you can hide it, go for it.  I've heard others rave about the 19x's grip.  Not everyone's hands are the same.

New Post
3/5/2019 5:22 PM

That sounds like carelessness to me! I mean really, who holsters a gun and doesn’t notice for hours that a jacket toggle is caught in it until it goes off, rofl! If someone is that careless then it could happen with any sidearm. Not just Glocks.

New Post
3/5/2019 8:11 PM

chriscscs wrote:
That sounds like carelessness to me! I mean really, who holsters a gun and doesn’t notice for hours that a jacket toggle is caught in it until it goes off, rofl! If someone is that careless then it could happen with any sidearm. Not just Glocks.

Actually no, it couldn't happen if the gun had a manual safety or a grip safety.  Poo poo it if you want but sh!t happens, and it only has to happen once to screw you

New Post
3/5/2019 8:58 PM

It’s still carelessness. Good point about the grip safety.

New Post
3/5/2019 9:01 PM

I’m pretty heavily invested in Glocks but I don’t think they are anywhere near as safe as a condition one 1911.

I like a thumb safety on a gun I’m going to carry 24/7 in field conditions.  

It is nice to stick the gun, ready to go in your boot as you crawl into your sleeping bag.  With a Glock it needs to stay in a rigid holster or kit bag with a Zachaeus. Then to draw you have to use two hands or tie the Zach or kit bag to something solid in the tent.

New Post
3/6/2019 5:58 AM

I started this thread by saying that I, personally, really like the G45. It’s my bowhunting companion. I usually don’t carry a round in the chamber unless I feel the need to such as walking through the woods in the early morning darkness on the way to my stand.

All of my holster draw training is done by drawing, chambering a round, firing. I’m pretty quick with it and for the most part don’t feel disadvanged. However, in the woods at night with a bow in one hand, I do feel better with a round chambered. I use a guides choice chest holster.

New Post
3/24/2019 8:22 AM

I have the G45. Fits great in my kit bag, I have a bucket of G17 mags. This gun works well for me. But I also like my 43X.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Glock 45 (9mm)Glock 45 (9mm)