Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...S&W 317/63 vs LCR 22lrS&W 317/63 vs LCR 22lr
Previous

Next
New Post
12/29/2018 4:07 PM

Does anyone have any first-hand experience with either the S&W 317 (mostly alloy), S&W 63 (SS), or Ruger LCR or LCRx in 22lr?

I am looking for a lightweight 22lr revolver with a smooth but stout DA trigger that will handle 10-20k rounds a year of standard velocity or subsonic ammo.

The idea is that you have a lightweight pistol with quality sights and a LONG, stout DA trigger, that really emphasizes driving and managing the sights while the trigger is pulled.  The idea is getting more prevalent with some VERY high-end shooters and the concept has been used extensively at the Rogers Shooting School with great results.   Higher volume shooting with less recoil, less blast less expensive, and a bit more emphasis on managing the trigger and sights because of the pistols light weight.

10,000rds of CCI SV would run less than $500.  10,000rds of Fed AE 115 would run closer to $2000.

It would also make a good training pistol for a new shooter with a single round loaded in SA.  You could start with CCI Quiets or Shorts.

It would also make a pretty handy backcountry gun in skilled hands. 

The S&W 317 3” would be my first choice as it weights less than 12oz.  However, I have read a lot of bad reviews with QC issues. You would need to run mostly SV or Subsonic ammo in the aluminum cylinder or they cases will stick.   

The S&W 63 3” is probably what I will get.  It is an all stainless and weighs ~26oz. It has better reviews than the 317 but it weighs over twice as much.  Making it easier to shoot…which is the opposite of what I am looking for.

The Ruger LCR and LCRx 22lr are also options.  Ruger makes a very stout revolver, but heavens these two are UGLY.  And the few LCR’s I have handled felt like they had sand in the action.  And did I mention they are ugly? 

Who makes a Kydex J-frame 3” AIWB holster?

Who is a GOOD J-frame gunsmith?

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
12/29/2018 4:42 PM

I've had the 3in 317 since it came out.  Trigger was absolutely stupid from the factory.  A friend stoned it up nice, never had a misfire after the trigger work either, can't really remember what brands of ammo I've used.  I've found it accurate for what it is.  Don't remember any sticky cases either.

I also have the 357 Ti Kit gun, and I'd sell it before I'd part with 22, not that I plan to sell either.

I love my 38 LCR though, and if I were buying a 22 kit gun today, I'd get the Ruger without hesitation, they have decent triggers out of the box.  Looks doesn't enter into the equation, IMO.

New Post
12/29/2018 6:14 PM

TAK, thank you for the relply!

Any guess at how many rounds you have put through the S&W 317?

I will give the LCRx 3" 22lr a look.

New Post
12/29/2018 7:08 PM

Less than 500 rds, I really haven't shot it much.  It has been years since I have shot it.  I'll try my best to put some rounds through and report back.  IIRC, I paid $329 for it.  They are double that now.  I've never seen a used one for sale.  At least they still make them, they stopped producing the 357 Ti kit gun.  Ruger has really filled a niche with the 3in adj sight LCR's

New Post
12/30/2018 10:16 AM

I think you need to decide if you want a carry gun or a training gun. In my experience the smaller and lighter a gun is the harder it is to shoot. That means that a new shooter is going to struggle more, and struggle leads to frustration. In my experience the JFrame size revolvers are the hardest guns to shoot of any I see people at the range with. If the pistol is for you drive on, but if it is in part for the boys and Cheyvonne, I would recommend skipping both the 317 and 63. I have also not been very impressed with any of the 2 or 3 317s I have shot. I would say look for a Ruger Sp101 or S&W 17/617. The Ruger is highly underated, and are good solid guns. I feel like they have made them in the past in 3" albeit with fixed sights, but their current 4.2" barrel with adjustable sights looks to me like almost a perfect training/small game gun. The 17/617 is the gold standard and one with adjustable sights and a 4" barrel would again be pretty dang nice in that roll, and I couldn't even begin to tally the thousands of rounds I put through a 17 my dad had when I was younger.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/30/2018 4:11 PM

The 317 does feel more like a cap pistol than a real gun.  The LCR feels like a lightweight version of a "real gun".  The LCR's grip reminds me of a D-frame Colt's grip, to me that is "Goldilocks". I liked the Colt D frame better than a S&W K frame.  I have slightly larger than average hands.  I've got no SP101 time but I believe that would be a solid choice as well if weight isn't a huge factor for you.

I'd like to add that a had a SS 3in S&W J frame 357 that was absolute junk.  Horrible trigger and shot "patterns" with ammo that you could shoot the tacks out of the same target with my old K frame 19

New Post
12/30/2018 4:43 PM

We are heading to town tomorrow and the local Sportsman's Warehouse has both the S&W 317 and Ruger LCRx 3" 22lr. Fortunately time is something we have an abundance of.

New Post
12/30/2018 9:26 PM

I've been on the bandwagon with using the small double action .22s as part of my practice most of this year. It definitely is challenging, fun and cheap! I have a pair of .22 LCRs that I use. I've also owned a 2" 63 for years. The 63 is easier due to the weight to shoot, especially weak/strong hand only. I briefly had a 317 that I really wanted to like. I didn't care for the large fiber front sight and even less for the trouble extracting cases after 3-4 cylinders. The LCRs can exhibit the extraction issue also, I think part of it is due to the 8 round cylinder. That said, I shoot nickel cased Stingers and they extract with no issues. When I shoot Minimags or SV I will load 6 for practice sessions and haven't had any issues. Holster for AIWB I'd highly recommend Dark Star Gear's AIWB for the LCR. I've carried a 9mm LCR in mine AIWB for a fair amount of last year until early summer this year. Hope this helps!

New Post
1/1/2019 5:39 PM

Vaspence, tell me more about how you would compare the LCR to the S&W 63? What barrel length is your 63"? How do the triggers compare? Have you ever had an issue with light strikes and primers not firing?

I have read and heard recommended that Standard Velocity (subsonic) ammo works best to keep the cases from sticking in the cylinder. Did you ever has issues with cases sticking in the S&W 63?

New Post
1/2/2019 7:19 PM

Hi Strow -
I took both pistols to the range today as it had been a long while since I'd shot the 63.
My 63 has a 1 11/16" barrel length and is a no dash. We lovingly refer to it as the Vesson. I got it in trade with a few other guns years ago, someone had cut the factory barrel down to that length removing the "Smith &" along with half the W. It has a better trigger and the weight (27 ounces with Pachmyers) of the pistol helps. I only shot minimags and some of those were getting a little sticky. Didn't think to take SV with me but will on a future trip. All shots today were DAO.
The Ruger trigger is a little crunchier and the pistol is lighter (14.5 ounces) but with two hands it isn't an issue. SHO requires more effort on my part but definitely makes me focus on trigger squeeze. I only load 5 when shooting minimags or SV and have no trouble with extraction. 8 rounds of brass cases can get sticky. Never an issue with the Stingers.

New Post
1/13/2019 10:53 AM

I have had the 317, LCR and SP 101 22 and of those the SP shot the best. In my hands, though, none were as accurate as the Ruger Mark series or Buckmark. I ended up selling the 22 when guns.

New Post
7/10/2019 7:53 PM

Late to the party. I had the LCR and LCRx in .22 and both have moved onward. IMO S&W makes a superior gun if you want a kit gun. I'd also consider a Ruger single-action as a kit gun. They're not quick, but if you need to make a precise shot I think they're a superior choice.

My Runner's Kit Bag carries a surplus Model 10 though, so maybe I'd the wrong guy to ask.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...S&W 317/63 vs LCR 22lrS&W 317/63 vs LCR 22lr