Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Any Sig M17 Experiences?Any Sig M17 Experiences?
Previous

Next
New Post
7/20/2019 12:23 PM

I am heavily invested in the 1911 and Glock platforms.   That said I would like to get a striker fired full-size gun with a manual safety-a modern approximation of the 1911.   I’ve come to the conclusion that for 24/7 use in rural or wilderness areas a manual safety is a big plus.  Additionally though I live in Free America, as a CCWer trying to obey inane restrictions, I end up having to unholster and stow the gun periodically (post office, school, government bldgs, airport pickups, gun buster establishments etc.).  A manual safety makes unholstering, stowing, reholstering safer.

This forum got me thinking hard about the S&W M&P 2.0 5” and maybe compact but now am thinking about the Sig M17.

Any experiences with the M17 or opinions on it?

New Post
12/14/2019 3:06 PM

I tend to disregard gun free signs unless the location takes security seriously enough to employ Magnetrons, controlled entry points and on site armed security. For most locations, the worst outcome resulting from ignoring the sign is being asked to leave, or at worse a city ordinance trespass ticket being written. Just keep your pistol secured and concealed.

A safety on a striker fired pistol is silly, redundant, and almost always an engineering after thought.

If you are already spun up on Glocks, have you considered adding "The Gadget" or Striker Control Device? It does what you want during administrative functions. For some reason The Gadget is a very polarizing part. If one is fair minded, it makes sense in certain niches.

All that said, given the choice between the M&P 2.0 and the Sig 320/M17, I will choose the M&P 2.0 every day of the week and twice on Sunday. The 2.0 is an excellent piece that corrects the slight flaws of the 1.0, and generally improved everything about the basic M&P design. The 320/M17 has poor ergonomics and is still in the Beta test phase in my view.

New Post
12/14/2019 3:10 PM

Silly on many levels. And wrong altogether.

New Post
12/14/2019 3:12 PM

El Mac,more detail please.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Any Sig M17 Experiences?Any Sig M17 Experiences?