Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...How to add a lightrail to a bolt gunHow to add a lightrail to a bolt gun
Previous

Next
New Post
7/19/2014 7:06 PM

Posted for Super Badger:

Here's a short explanation of how I added a picatinny rail to the forend of my practical bolt gun

Using a 3/16'' square cut end mill along with an X-Y vice and drill press, I carefully machined a slot that would accomodate the piece of picatinny rail. Evan used a dremel tool with good success. The key here was to make sure the stock was nice and level according to the action and bit, and that my cuts would line up with the barrel. This took some doing, and I ended up mounting the stock to a piece of wood that allowed me to clamp it in the vice and true it up.

I worked nice and slow, as the machine I was using was not exactly setup for this, being a drill press and not a milling maching. I kept constantly checking for the fit of the rail, inserting the barreled action into the stock to make sure that I was on the right track. This took me a long time, but paid off.

As you can see here, I got a little overzealous on a few of the end cuts, but it wasn't a big deal because it was going to get bedded in with epoxy anyway. What's not pictured is the additional hole I drilled about an inch behind the one in the rail. I used two stainless steel maching screws to fix the rail to the stock, and then bedded the whole works with Devcon plastic steel putty. The rail is now essentially a part of the stock, it's in there rock solid. I also machined the pic rail down a litte so that the bedding area would be a little more flat. Probably wasn't super necessary, but I figured what the heck.

I finished it off be bedding the remainder of the forend. I inlayed a carbon fiber arrow the length of the barrel channel that helps to add a bit of stiffness. After it was all bedded and set up, I used a bill to make sure that the barrel was free floated.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/19/2014 7:07 PM

posted for JSonn:

nicely done, I've been wanting to do this for a long time to my bolty and it doesnt appear to be too difficult. photos and descriptions are very helpful- thanks for the post

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/19/2014 7:07 PM

posted for Ray Z:

Great tutorial SB. Thanks! I've been thinking about attaching a rail for a while, but had been thinking about bolting in on the bottom of the stock until seeing your pics. Is there a reason for the length of the rail? Looks like a shorter rail would work and also be slightly lighter and attract less attention when without a light.

Ray

New Post
7/19/2014 7:08 PM

posted for jans:

Can you please let me know where to get the rail you attached? It looks like you machined the part that goes into the stock flat.

New Post
7/19/2014 7:09 PM

Ray,
Sorry that you didn't get answered earlier. The length depends on the light you want to use. I also leave it a bit longer just in case for future use.

I am not sure where Badger got that piece, but just about any piece of pic rail will do. The last two times I used the polymer ones from Magpul.

New Post
7/19/2014 7:09 PM

posted for minirunner:

I know it's an old thread. But what are the opinions on the 9mm shield, now that it has been around a few years? I am thinking of trading in my Kahr CW45 and a couple .22's that I don't use, for a shield. I like the gun and how it shoots. Just curious if anyone has stumbled on a problem or have found a better alternative. Thanks.

New Post
7/19/2014 7:10 PM

posted for SuperBadger:

Get one. Get one in 9mm. It's a very shoot able, very concealable, and so far very reliable (mine has around 400 rounds with no issues). I usually reserve it for carrying under a t-shirt, IWB. I have been mainly carrying it when I cannot conceal my full size. That being said, I am not as confident with it at distance as my full size. Out to 7 yards I can shoot it very well, but past that my accuracy falls off a bit. I would be curious to hear what others have to say on this, as I will admit I am not the worlds best pistol marksman.

overall, I highly recommend it.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...How to add a lightrail to a bolt gunHow to add a lightrail to a bolt gun