Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...What sling do you use with your bolt action rifle?What sling do you use with your bolt action rifle?
Previous

Next
New Post
9/18/2014 9:44 AM

I am looking for sling options for my light bolt action rifle.  I had a TIS Slip Cuff sling but I found it hard to use and adjust on the fly.  I am looking for something simple and quick.  I generally add sling mounts to the side of my rifles and sling them across my back while hunting/hiking.  I like to be able to swing the rifle around and into action quickly.  I like the looks of the Shrek SOB B-sling but I cannot find it in stock anywhere.  Just wondering what you guys use and how you like it.

"The time has come to stand for all we believe in..." Hillsong United

New Post
9/18/2014 9:49 AM

I use VCAS slings (zytel non-padded) on everything these days. I have a couple of strap keepers on them so I can have the excess length captured during hand carry. I just haven't found anything better. On most rifles I can use the front loop for slinging up, and I can also hasty sling.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
9/18/2014 10:03 AM

I use a "Rhodesian" sling on my Ruger scout rifle. If you are not concerned with weight for a sling its excellent for shooting stabilized in a hurry.  Its a leather 2 point sling. The butt side attaches to a swivel of your choosing. The fore end is one big loop that goes 1/3 to 1/2 way down to sling your arm up quickly. A creswell bucke holds the loop and is easy to adjust, but not like a tactical slider or anything. Andy's Leather makes them. I have not yet had trouble with the loop getting tangled. It lays flat when slung. Also it is super simple with one Chicago screw and one creswell bucle. Besides the swivels you put on there are no other moving parts to fail.

http://www.andysleather.com/#!product....

Here is my rifle with the Rhodesian sling.

New Post
9/18/2014 10:29 AM

Hey, what case is that??

New Post
9/18/2014 10:34 AM

I use the VCAS Rhodesian style

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
9/18/2014 11:55 AM

It is an M-1 Carbine case. It fits the GSR in my configuration with the spacers and flash hider removed.

New Post
9/18/2014 1:37 PM

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like the VCAS sling is the ticket for me and my Rem 700 LTR.

"The time has come to stand for all we believe in..." Hillsong United

New Post
9/18/2014 5:55 PM

For what its worth, I find the VCAS sling harder to adjust quickly than I do the VTAC. I keep a VCAS sling on my work gun simply out of stupid superstition since I used it on another work gun in Afghanistan. My personal guns all wear VTACs. To me they are quicker to adjust and easier to really tighten up to the body so I can use both hands on a task.

YMMV.

New Post
9/19/2014 10:54 AM

The first 2 point I had was a VTAC and I have to agree that it is easier to adjust, and has a wider range of adjustment. I didn't like having to deal with the tail on the sling. Mine had the Velcro keeper and I found I still had to be messing with it. I like the captured nature of the VCAS better.

New Post
9/20/2014 8:32 AM

I like the USGI web sling. It's simple and rugged and since I've been using one on one long gun or another since boot camp in 2001 it's very familiar for both carry and shooting.

New Post
9/21/2014 7:50 PM

I am running the Vickers CAS as well on my hunting guns. I am not a fan of either the VCAS or VTAC padded slings, they just seem needlessly bulky. The non-padded VCAS has a decent width to it where I find the VTAC way too narrow. The tail on the VTAC is truly annoying....I had one on my 870 at work for a bit and it did me no favors.

New Post
10/1/2014 12:39 AM

What do you guys think about 1" vs 1 1/4" slings? I am a bit torn. I have used a simple 1" Rhodesian sling for years. The 1 1/4" slings seem to add a lot of weight. I used other slings, but I find myself drifting back to the simple 1" profile.

Looking at that Andysleather.com site I have been considering the synthetic Rhodesian for my GSR and CZ carbine, but can't figure out what width I want to go with.

New Post
10/1/2014 5:52 AM

Kinda comes down to what you are using the sling for...and how long you spend inside that sling. Short putzing, rock on with your 1". But if you are humping hard and long, you will be better served with a 1.5". Better weight distro. You are only talking probably only a few tenth's of an ounce difference I'm sure. If you can detect that kind of weight diff and you find it bothersome, you are truly a 21st Century kind of guy and a better man than me.

New Post
10/2/2014 7:19 PM

I used to use the original and simple Butler Creek comfort sling which was 1 or 1.25" nylon with a longer length of neoprene wetsuit material for long hikes. The newer ones are a little different. Good point though about the carry modes, I guess I've been using my feather weights and carbines more with the old 1" Rhodesian slings, but if I started carrying the 300 WBY Sporter I would want to grab a wider strap for a longer trek. I also like the 1" because it cuts in a little more and stays put when I have a pack on, but that is not for longer periods of time, but more to have my hands free when I need them.

Thinking about it more, my dad used to no let me have a sling when I was a kid. He wanted the weapon in my hands and not on my shoulder.

New Post
10/6/2014 9:15 PM

@colefoz, I just ordered a biothane 1" Rhodesian with swivels from that website you posted.

New Post
10/6/2014 9:55 PM

I want to change my answer. I received an RC2 sling form Rifle-Craft.com it's made of the same material (or very similar) material as the USGI web sling but it's similar in operation to a Rhodisian sling. I personally can't stand leather slings even though I like leather for a lot of other things. This thing locks up tight like a loop sling but is much quicker (obviously) to get into (or out of). An added bonus I found is that it can also be used as a hasty sling which is probably the fastest to get into but the least stable of the shooting slings.It's probably not ultra light for the ounce counters but for the advantage a good shooting sling gives you its not a place I'm willing to cut corners.

New Post
10/12/2014 10:54 AM

I got my sling. It has no stretch, can't absorb water, and has a little tackiness to it. It came super long so I can trim it once I get it fitted to my needs. I think the 1" was right for this material because it is so thin. Much lighter than leather and a little stiff so it might cut into my arm a little bit more if I was the 1.25" material.

Thanks for the suggestion.

New Post
10/21/2014 6:41 PM

I use a VTAC 2 point sling. I run it the exact same way I do on my work M4s as well as on issued SR25 and M24 rifles. It allows me to cinch it down across my chest, allowing both hands to be free. It also is very easy to swing to one side or another when I need to kneel.

Very simple, very practical.

[URL=http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/1f4ca87b-127f-4a7c-a5aa-8c181c88cce3_zps63ef6d96.jpg.html]
[/URL]

[URL=http://s18.photobucket.com/user/IV_Troop/media/SanitizedJan0608.jpg.html]
[/URL]

New Post
10/21/2014 7:58 PM

Its important to point out that if you plan on rocking a VTAC or VCAS type sling on a bolt, you have to set up your swivels in the right place. Running them in the standard 6 o'clock position just blows.

New Post
10/21/2014 8:03 PM

Absolutely correct on sling swivel comment. Awesome slings, just need to be attached properly to work as intended.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...What sling do you use with your bolt action rifle?What sling do you use with your bolt action rifle?