Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...My GSR My GSR
Previous

Next
New Post
2/2/2016 10:57 PM

My GSR   Modified By gregg.masnick  on 1/31/2018 1:47:27 PM

It all started with seeing Scott's rifle...

McMillan M40 stock (a little longer fore-grip for about the same weight as the laminate)
Quick detach sling cups on both sides as I'm an ambi-shooter and I prefer to sling cross body. 
Witt Machine MRE compensator which is so good that my 11 year old daughter can shoot it with a smile and it gives faster follow-ups.
Spec-Tech trigger is a little lighter and a little crisper...I love it. 
XS rail which allows for any just about any optic while maintaining back up irons. 
Vortex 2.5-10x32mm scope on QD mounts. 
Homemade Rhodesian style synthetic sling for off-hand stability. 

I wanted one rifle that would be at home in just about any situation. (survival rifle) I think I've found that in this combination and to me, it's kind of a jack of all trades that's not just another AR.

* Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem * De Oppresso Liber *

New Post
2/2/2016 11:25 PM

Do you mind me asking what the drive on that setup is? Soup to nuts?

New Post
2/3/2016 8:12 AM

Oh my... extremely nice setup. With enough training to speed up bolt manipulation when that is required, there's very little your rifle can't do pretty well.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/3/2016 9:47 PM

I'm not sure what you're asking but if it is why did I invest so much in to this particular rifle...well...LOL...because I fell in love with it as soon as I picked it up.  The concept, size, caliber, and action all made sense to me.  BUT as with every rifle that I have ever owned, I see things that I would do different based on my perception of the rifle and my envisioned use.  Prior to this rifle, I had a Remington Sendero 300 Win Mag which was a great long range shooter but way too big to haul around.  I also had a Remington 760 30.06 Pump which was a great hunting rifle with decent first shot accuracy but I also found it limiting.  I started noticing this little scout rifle in 308 which is a caliber that I am very familiar with from my Army days.  Mauser style action, magazine fed, heavy enough barrel, and kind of compact in length.  It was something different that seemed to meet just about all of my potential intended uses for a bolt action rifle and as I have listed in the initial description, every modification or accessory has a purpose that compliments me or my intentions.  

New Post
2/3/2016 9:53 PM

That's more or less what I thought...jack of all trades rifle.  I absolutely love the stock.  It allows much fast bolt manipulation over the stock laminate and feels great in the hands.  I also dig the XS rail which allows for just about any optic I could possibly stumble across and back up iron sights.  I actually sold a couple of rifles to pay for this rifle and the build and I have absolutely no regrets in doing so.  Not to sound like an 80's love song but it does just feel so right.

New Post
2/4/2016 2:43 PM

Gregg, I think El Mac was politely asking how much it cost you because he might have a thing or two he needs to sell off to acquire similar.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
2/4/2016 2:50 PM

Yes, Evan is correct...my bad for not using English. Thanks Evan!

New Post
2/4/2016 5:30 PM

Obviously not my rifle, but my math says $700 for th rifle, $600 for the McMillan, $100 for the muzzle brake, $100 for the trigger, $50 for the rail, $5-800 on the glass depending on if its the hs or the pst, and how lucky you can get in ebay. It's a heck of a build...and I want it...

New Post
2/5/2016 9:14 AM

LOL...I'm truly laughing at myself right now for not understanding what El Mac was asking.

No worries about asking about the cost, but RockinU was almost dead on with what he posted. The scope is a Viper HS LR 2.5-10x32 FFP XLR (MOA). I got it at a local Sportsmans Warehouse on sale for about $400 + $750 rifle + $650 stock + $100 mb + $100 trig + 100 rail + $30 sling = $2130 for a rifle that most probably wouldn't understand...LOL

Thank you all for the compliments. This has been a rifle that I have loved more and more. Next piece will be a short rail on the bottom in place of the sling swivel.

New Post
2/5/2016 11:49 AM

Beautiful GSR!  I'm semi-patiently waiting for Ruger to release their synthetic stock as a retro-fit to replace the laminate one on mine.  I'm running the Leupold 1.5-5 VX-R on mine, with a Griffin Armament Flash Comp (set for eventually getting a GA Sportsman model can for it)....otherwise, it is bone stock.  Your build has me thinking of some other mods down the road.  Very nice and I am envious.

I see from your signature line that you are a fellow graduate of the University of Pineland!   * Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem * De Oppresso Liber *

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
2/5/2016 11:53 AM

El Mac has been hanging out with his "clients" too much again.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
2/5/2016 12:07 PM

alpendrms wrote:

I see from your signature line that you are a fellow graduate of the University of Pineland!   * Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem * De Oppresso Liber *

Graduated Pineland University as an 18C.  C/3/1 SFG - ODA 191 & 196.  Yourself?

New Post
2/5/2016 2:39 PM

gregg.masnick wrote:
alpendrms wrote:

Graduated Pineland University as an 18C.  C/3/1 SFG - ODA 191 & 196.  Yourself?

Graduated as an 18D....C/1/10 (CIF) from the tail end of '88 until '92 on ODA 032 in Tölz and Stuttgart.  Then A/3/10 on 075 (Mountain ODA) at Devens, 'til it closed...moved to Carson...075 became 073...then 093 (C/3/10).  Became 18F somewhere in there.  Left 10th in '97 after recruitment and passing selection for one of the "other units"...spent the next almost 13 years there.  18Z in that timeframe.  Retired in 2010...just shy of 26 years Active.   

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
2/5/2016 4:31 PM

"Bad Bob" Howard was the King of Pineland in 82 when I recreated there.

New Post
2/5/2016 6:15 PM

Well...it looks like I came to the right place,,,LOL

New Post
2/5/2016 7:41 PM

gregg.masnick wrote:
Well...it looks like I came to the right place,,,LOL

Yep!  HPG is pretty much a perfect fit for our tribe.

New Post
2/6/2016 7:26 AM

I bet an HPG Stock Cuff to store spare rounds and your dope card would look mighty nice on that rifle!

New Post
2/6/2016 8:22 AM

alpendrms wrote:

I bet an HPG Stock Cuff to store spare rounds and your dope card would look mighty nice on that rifle!

LOL...I was just looking at that and some other gear.

New Post
5/7/2016 9:57 PM

I was asked about my homemade synthetic Rhodesian style rifle sling on a scout rifle forum today. Here was my response and a couple of "posing for animal crackers" pictures. After looking around at slings for some time, I decided to make my own based loosely on Andy's leather Rhodesian. I used one continuous piece of webbing and a couple of basic slides with a 550 cord, cobra weave adjustment pull. I like cross body carry and with the loop, I can quickly push the rifle over my shoulder for cross back carry and even pull one of the loop runs over my head for more stability.  I figured I would share this on here as well.  ( T-Shirt by daughters smile emoticon )

New Post
5/7/2016 11:37 PM

Like it a lot. You also got an smoking deal on the optic as well. This is the optic I've been thinking about acquiring for my left hand GSR. It would be interesting to see how that optic is working for you.

I've got an ISO 1.8-10 optic I thought putting on but it's awful heavy.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...My GSR My GSR