Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...My GSR My GSR
Previous

Next
New Post
5/9/2016 7:44 AM

One of the two reasons I prefer the VCAS over the VTAC is that with a bit of patience on the front mounting position I can use the front loop as a Rhodesian setup. I have been doing it for years before I even knew the term. It is very positive, and just as quick as a Ching without all the extra loops and studs. Using it backpack style for lack of a better term is pretty interesting. One of these days I need to just get in a spool of sling webbing and do some experimenting with some different ideas I have. Unfortunately, our mountain sling deal kind of fell through with the manufacturer were were talking to.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/13/2016 11:31 AM

scothill wrote:
One of the two reasons I prefer the VCAS over the VTAC is that with a bit of patience on the front mounting position I can use the front loop as a Rhodesian setup. I have been doing it for years before I even knew the term. It is very positive, and just as quick as a Ching without all the extra loops and studs. Using it backpack style for lack of a better term is pretty interesting. One of these days I need to just get in a spool of sling webbing and do some experimenting with some different ideas I have. Unfortunately, our mountain sling deal kind of fell through with the manufacturer were were talking to.

From a cross body carry, I can definitely get in to the loop quickly while it has no problem laying flat during carry.  I also like the ability to "backpack" carry if I needed to use both hands.  I would definitely like to see someone with better resources than I have at home make a good quality sling like this with minimal hardware, moving parts, and the k.i.s.s. rule in mind.  I've looked at a ton of slings and many of them have too many buckles and parts for my application.  Andy's Rhodesian leather sling is a very nice design and I was looking for something like that but synthetic.  Is HPG going to keep pursuing something?

* Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem * De Oppresso Liber *

New Post
5/13/2016 11:35 AM

Here's a few close-ups of the buckle system that I put together.  While it works well for me, if I had the resources, there are a few things that I'd do differently.

[URL=http://s77.photobucket.com/user/sunmonk1/media/1.jpg.html]
[/URL]

[URL=http://s77.photobucket.com/user/sunmonk1/media/3.jpg.html]
[/URL]

[URL=http://s77.photobucket.com/user/sunmonk1/media/2.jpg.html]
[/URL]

New Post
5/14/2016 5:22 AM

I like that sling a lot, Gregg.  I'm not sure if the Hill bros are planning to produce a sling, but I know they've definitely discussed it in the past.  I've never used your style of sling before, but I would certainly give one a try someday if an HPG one became reality.  I've been running a VTAC on all of my long arms.  Really, a lot of that has to do with having used them on my work guns when I was active duty, and a very similar style one (HK style) even earlier when in C 1/10 back in the day.  Over time, the VTAC became very comfortable for me to use, so I haven't yet felt a need to switch.  I even bought a Vickers sling to try out, but personally didn't care for it.  Still have it...brand new.  That said, I've often been intrigued with the Rhodesian style like yours.  I might give one a go at some point.  It certainly is versatile, uncomplicated, and effective.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
5/14/2016 7:49 AM

I know I said this on the scout forums but I'll say it here too. That's a nice rifle and I really like that sling.

Thanks to you I just ordered a pile of webbing and hardware last night.

New Post
5/14/2016 8:02 AM

I never saw the need to re-invent the wheel myself.  A Langlois or Wilderness Ching works for me, as intended.  For more of a "tactical"/long-range rig, a TAB gear sling gets the nod.

New Post
5/14/2016 10:18 AM

oldpinecricker wrote:
Like it a lot. You also got an smoking deal on the optic as well. This is the optic I've been thinking about acquiring for my left hand GSR. It would be interesting to see how that optic is working for you.

I've got an ISO 1.8-10 optic I thought putting on but it's awful heavy.

Thank you.  I actually got very lucky on the scope.  In fact, my wife was able to find another one that I have on an AR.  It looks like Vortex has quite making that particular scope.  They are getting harder to find but are still out there.  If you want one, I'd suggest trying Sportsman's Warehouse.  They might still be able to order it.  That's how we got the second one.  As for the scope, I love it.  I've had it on the range working from standing, bench, kneeling, and prone.  I've had no problem with eye relief, target acquisition, or light gathering.  As for the rifle build, it left the "Scout Rifle" concept quite a while ago and I look at it as a general purpose rifle.  That being said, it is not light but then again, I don't mind extra weight on a rifle that is intended to fulfill multiple roles like this one is.

New Post
5/14/2016 10:32 AM

Thanks for all the "sling" feedback guys. I'm not going to lie, making your own sling might not seem that complicated, but it can be a pain in the butt. I more or less wanted to do it to have the satisfaction of making something myself and something that was made for me. That being said, if I had found a similar, uncomplicated sling that was at a reasonable price at the time, I probably would have bought it. It's cool that there are a ton of slings out on the market and I even think I stumbled across a synthetic Rhodesian that is being made by a company authorized by Andy. As for mine, I purchased the sling material, the sling studs, and have 2 trips to the local upholstery shop for sewing. I was able to get the buckles for free as a sample pack. With that, I have about $60 in the making of this sling. I didn't really save anything by making it but then again, that wasn't the point.

New Post
5/14/2016 1:02 PM

take-a-knee wrote:
I never saw the need to re-invent the wheel myself.  A Langlois or Wilderness Ching works for me, as intended.  For more of a "tactical"/long-range rig, a TAB gear sling gets the nod. 

I made my first Rhodesian sling after seeing the Galco "Ching" Sling and thinking I could do a much lighter version out of some old nylon slings I had laying around. I hadn't even heard of the Rhodesian sling at that point. Since then I've been fascinated with improving the design and making my own slings.

I have a TIS shooting sling on my long range hunting rifle and a nice Chestnut Rhodesian Sling from Andy that lives on my 1895GBL. Even so, I will continue to make and refine the sling that lives on my Scout/GP rifle because it's a matter of pride and at 2.65 ounces my current sling is much lighter weight than the commercial offerings I've seen.

Cost wise, I've probably spent about $100 since I started making my own but I've got enough hardware and webbing to build quite a few slings after this last order of 24 feet of webbing/seat belt material and hardware.

New Post
5/15/2016 7:45 PM

A few guys who post here occasionally got Rifles Only to do a run of TAB slings in a really light material.  IIRC, EdT was one and he put one on his Montana as he didn't want to put a third sling swivel on it.  He liked as I remember.

New Post
5/16/2016 8:12 AM

Now that I have a better look that is very similar to a sling I have from a company recommended on here. I put it on my SSG, and have used it a bit in the field. Our idea was even simpler and low pro, but utilized a piece of hardware from one company, so.... At this point, the project and other slings are definitely on the back burner. Time is a premium, and to try and push a company to make something happen quickly becomes a poor utilization of our time. There is another design I have been kicking around in my mind that I haven't fully worked out yet. If you like Ching Slings, but also like crossbody carry, SLG designed one as a GP field sling and I think that SKD is doing it for him now.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/18/2016 3:50 PM

Gregg,

Was that stock a drop in fit for the GSR? Ive had a little trouble deciphering McMillans web site about which stocks are designed for the GSR.

Ive been running my GSR since 2011 or early 2012. I love the thing. I can consistently maintain a sub moa with buffalo bore .308 sniper ammo. Your stock pictures sold me on getting a upgrade for my wood laminate.

Thanks!

New Post
5/22/2016 12:12 AM

Yes, it was a drop in fit.  No issues at all.

New Post
5/22/2016 6:47 PM

Awesome, thank you.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...My GSR My GSR