Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...1911 or "just another" Glock?1911 or "just another" Glock?
Previous

Next
New Post
3/29/2016 4:21 PM

Well. That was a breath of fresh air.

New Post
3/30/2016 1:52 AM

I run my Glock out of the box. Have been shooting the Glock 19 for several years. I also use it as a duty weapon. It's a great gun, but I don't need to sing the praises, they are well documented.

I have been considering a 1911 for many years. I love the look, love the history, and enjoyed shooting the guns owned by my friends. The last few posts were interesting and have me thinking of a 1911 again. I guess I can't go cheap, time to save some $.

New Post
3/30/2016 3:50 AM

And Im thinking about getting a Glock 19. Its in the Goldy Locks zone as far as size is concerned. I just think a stock Glock leaves some to be desired. The sights are place holders for real sights. Ive seen the front sight on Glocks come off inside holsters and such. A poorly swaged 1911 sight will do the same thing so its not really a big deal to me. I would probably add the extended slide release that comes stock on the 34, a grip plug and call it a day. Like I said, I love my Glocks but people seem to attach a mythical level or reliability and longevity to them and Ive seen them break. I know a guy that shoots competitively, and 19 has gone through some major over hauls in as a few as 10,000 rounds. Thats not a small number but it smacks in the face of some of the claims I see on various internet videos and communities. A gun is a machine and machines break.

New Post
3/30/2016 7:22 AM

DKC wrote:

There is only one magazine for the 1911, and that’s the various Wilson products. Chip McCormick magazines are trash and will experience feed lip deformation before a 47D/T/ETM magazine. Keep your eyes on the follower of a Wilson mag, specifically the shelf that engages the slide lock and you’ll be good to go for a long time. When it stops providing sufficient lift for your slide lock get rid of the spring and follower replace for a nominal fee and keep going. I have 47Ds that have been through thousands upon thousands of cycles, being loaded for months at a time, and I have yet to replace a follower or spring in any of my inventory of magazines.

I'll agree with you on the other points, but I don't really agree about the CM mags....I've been carrying mine EDC for a while now and no issues.  Several guys that I work with now, and guys from my old unit are running CMs and like them, as well.  Granted...the Wilsons definitely have a more finished appearance and to me feel / seem overall smoother, but I haven't had the CMs do anything squirrelly on me...yet.  I have some WC 7 and 8 round ETM mags....perhaps at some point I'll get a few WC 10 round mags and switch over to them and see which I like better.

Well, I reckon I've hijacked the OP's thread for long enough....although....this is all good food for thought for a guy thinking about getting a 1911, and also good knowledge for all of us.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
3/30/2016 10:36 AM

Gotta agree here with Ken. 47Ds are good mags but in my experience, they require maintenance (spring replacement and follower replacement) on a routine basis. And again, in my experience, 47D feed lips tend to spread much much easier than any other I've used.

For my money, the best 1911 mag in the business are Tripp's. Period.

New Post
3/30/2016 12:25 PM

Haven't tried the Tripps, El Mac.  I might have to look into those.  Two questions....do they make a model that plays nice with the SA Lightweight Operator?  Do they make a 10 round model?

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
3/30/2016 1:52 PM

alpendrms wrote:

Haven't tried the Tripps, El Mac.  I might have to look into those.  Two questions....do they make a model that plays nice with the SA Lightweight Operator?  Do they make a 10 round model?

El Mac....I looked at the Tripp website and see that they offer 7, 8, and 10 round mags for the 1911 in .45 ACP.  They look nice, and prices appear to be commensurate with the Chip's and Wilson's.  

I guess my only remaining question is how well they work with the SA LW Operator.

New Post
3/30/2016 2:45 PM

Due to the ramped barrel of the Springfield, one of the reasons we recommend them in the LW over other brands, there shouldn't be any magazine issues specific to the frame. It is only when the ramp is in the frame that run into issues.

I have used the 10rd CM over the years with no issues. Tried 47Ds a few times and found them to be a 6 month magazine continuously loaded before the spring needed changing. They would go longer, but enough didn't that was the longest I would trust them. Feedback from other shooters is that was pretty common. The old WC adage used to be to have 3 sets. One in use, one in the wings, and one in the process of being replaced by WC. I never saw the point when the Wolff 7rders were cheaper and bombproof. Then Wolff had to go and screw them up with a coating so they don't drop free reliably anymore. At this point I run a mix of the old stainless Wolff and WC 8rd ETM mags, which I have found to be reliable long term.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/30/2016 2:56 PM

alpendrms wrote:
alpendrms wrote:

Haven't tried the Tripps, El Mac. I might have to look into those. Two questions....do they make a model that plays nice with the SA Lightweight Operator? Do they make a 10 round model?

El Mac....I looked at the Tripp website and see that they offer 7, 8, and 10 round mags for the 1911 in .45 ACP. They look nice, and prices appear to be commensurate with the Chip's and Wilson's.

I guess my only remaining question is how well they work with the SA LW Operator.

Since I'm in your AOR right now, I'll be happy to loan you a couple or 3 to try out, then we will both know.

New Post
3/30/2016 3:50 PM

That is an outstanding idea!  I will give you a shout next week...we need to link-up anyway!

New Post
3/30/2016 4:37 PM

"Choogottimain!"

New Post
3/30/2016 6:10 PM

Ive tried Power, Power Plus mags in Kimbers, Colts and Springfields and they all seem to have trouble reliably locking the slide to the rear and if they cant do that Im not interested in what else they can do. Ive had my WC loaded for months at a time and find that they still provide reliable lift for the slide lock. Ive also had the follower in Chip mags hop forward after the last round resulting my having to strip the mag from the gun (this can also dammage the feed ramp on alloy guns…Ive heard). Never had to do that with a Wilson. If you look at the spine of the Chip mags at the terminus of the base of the feed lips you’ll notice that there are hard corners, the Wilson are rounded, almost forming a half moon or semi circle. I know a little about metal and as it regards the Chips and the feed lips having a squared off profile your asking for cracks, fissures or deformation after a full or partial cartridge stack rams into the top of the feed lips. On the Wilsons they just have more material at their base due to that semi circle cut. I tried to make excuses for the Chips, telling myself that I had a dimensionally unsound slide catch but after it happened across various guns, various brands with various price points I kind of just wrote them off. I have heard good things about Tripp Research and planned on getting some but my Wilsons work so well I just kind of never got around to it. I will try them now based upon the suggestion above.

New Post
3/30/2016 6:20 PM

Duly noted, DKC....and what you write does make sense and stands to reason.  Like I stated before...haven't had a problem with the Chips...yet.  That said, I will definitely be giving the Wilsons I have more play.  I plan to pick up a few of their 10 round models, and also I will be taking a good look at the Tripp offerings, based on El Mac's recommendation.

This is another reason why I love the HPG Forum...solid insight from folks, without all the fluff!

New Post
3/31/2016 3:23 AM

Thank you kind sir. I just wanted to help the poster and anybody else that stumbles upon this thread. I just hope that I have.

I like the hybridized follower of the Tripps, as I feel that the plastic slide lock engagement shelf of the Wilson mags are a weak point of the design.

New Post
3/31/2016 6:13 PM

And I appreciate in too, DKC. As it stands now, reading up on and looking around for a Springfield RO Operator in 9mm, but I'm open to other models, providing the same general feature set. Not a lot of experience with the Operator variant, but it's functionally identical to the standard RO in 9mm. Most reports so far have been positive, but that's how the gun industry works sometimes. I'll keep digging.

FWIW, I'll probably be using Tripp mags. Back in '04-05 MARSOC with the 24th MEU was using 10 round CMC mags in southern Iraq. It was actually one of their guys who got me interested in the 1911 in the first place, a year or so earlier in Africa. We talked for about 45 minutes about guns in general and 1911s primarily outside the SCIF I was pulling guard duty for that afternoon. I didn't find out until about 30 minutes in that he was a Gunny with Force Recon. I'm pretty sure he was the only Marine around the JSOTF there and was happy to have the company after dealing with SEALs and JAG Os all day ;-) 

New Post
3/31/2016 7:13 PM

The reputed "death" of the 1911 is highly over rated...but it does give me a good chuckle.

New Post
4/1/2016 5:00 PM

Scot, there are a couple of different versions of the CMC Powermag followers. One of them is pointy, and will contact the area on the frame under the feed ramp. Before I changed mine out, I was starting to get dings in the frame of my Springfield Lightweight Operator.

New Post
4/1/2016 5:36 PM

El Mac wrote:
The reputed "death" of the 1911 is highly over rated...but it does give me a good chuckle.

In civilian hands?  For sure.  In modern military units?  Its as dead as a doornail.  Think lever action.

New Post
4/1/2016 5:48 PM

Take-a-knee wrote:
El Mac wrote:

In civilian hands?  For sure.  In modern military units?  Its as dead as a doornail.  Think lever action.

I'd rank it more along the lines of M14 dead. I believe the Marksmanship units still use them for competition. 

New Post
4/1/2016 9:46 PM

Take-a-knee wrote:
El Mac wrote:

In civilian hands? For sure. In modern military units? Its as dead as a doornail. Think lever action.

Uh, even if that were true, who gives a shat?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...1911 or "just another" Glock?1911 or "just another" Glock?