Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Suggestions for a lightweight pistol for at thru hike?Suggestions for a lightweight pistol for at thru hike?
Previous

Next
New Post
3/29/2016 4:29 PM

I like my Smith and Wesson R8 ver, very much. I have and have shot a few match grade autopistols and none of them come close the accuracy of my R8. I have two 1911s with match grade barrels, one complemented by a NM barrel bushing and they still cannot compete with the R8 in the accuracy department. The best way to describe is a laser beam. You might ask whats light about and N frame Smith? To that I would say that it is very light as it has an alloy frame. The stainless barrel is sheathed with carbon steel making the gun very front heavy which makes it eminently shootable. The sights are good but not great. The trigger is simply the best revolver trigger Ive even encountered and once if smooths out after ten or twelve cylinders is very easy to get good with. It gives up little in the way of on board capacity when compared to some of the autopistols I have. It has a rail for a light, and I usually hang a TLR 1 HL off of it. Its a pretty killer combination. U bought it for a trailside companion and I feel very, very confident with it. Its also hard to argue with a Corbon 180 grain A frame.

New Post
3/29/2016 4:31 PM

You wanted bigger than a .38. Maybe a Shield in .40. You can't mount a light on one but they are light, corrosion resistant, and reliable. I shoot mine in 9mm to the same level on an IDPA classifier as I do a Glock 17.

New Post
3/31/2016 10:13 AM

Now that the TLR6 is out, it opens up choices more. Not sure a shield in 9mm wouldn't be my choice at this point.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/16/2016 3:59 PM

[URL=http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/Platypus_2016/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160416_164023146_HDR_zpsmgsf89je.jpg.html]
[/URL]

Is what I ended up going with, thanks for all of the input from everyone on the forum

New Post
4/17/2016 6:54 PM

I ended up buying s sig sauer .380, it's basically a pocket sized 1911 style. But man if shoots SO GOOD, I spent more than I was planning on, but
[URL=http://s1064.photobucket.com/user/Platypus_2016/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160416_164023146_HDR_zpsmgsf89je.jpg.html]
[/URL]

New Post
4/18/2016 7:03 PM

I had one of those once . I'm not really sure why I sold it . it was a pretty good shooter . I ended up getting one of the new colt mustangs that I like pretty well . them pocket guns are just so easy to carry .

New Post
4/20/2016 10:08 PM

Hard to beat a scandium J-frame loaded with Speer Short Barrel 38+Ps.

New Post
5/2/2016 7:03 AM

It sounds like this story already has a happy ending, but just for the sake of contributing a few more inflation adjusted cents to the discussion:

1 - TLR6 is great.
2 - TLR6 makes g26 (or perhaps even better: cheaper used g27 or 33 with conversion barrel) a terrific candidate for reliability, simplicity, size, range of function, modularity, etc.

3 - If someone already shoots Glocks and is looking for a subcompact in 9mm, this combo is tough to beat. Especially now that there is a solid laser/light combo option that is priced extremely reasonably.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Suggestions for a lightweight pistol for at thru hike?Suggestions for a lightweight pistol for at thru hike?