Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Leupold VXR 1.5-5 IERLeupold VXR 1.5-5 IER
Previous

Next
New Post
10/4/2013 6:38 PM

When I originally measured my own LOP, it came out to be 13.5".  Firing arm at my side, bent to a 90 degree angle forward, measured from the bottom of my bicep out to the second pad of my index finger.  When I had the single spacer on the RGS, it measured out the same distance.  

That said, today I removed that spacer, installed new rings on the VXR, and moved it out to the end of the rail.  I then adjusted the scope slightly for good field of vision.  It's looking and feeling pretty good in its new location.  I used a pair of Warne QD Medium rings that I already had.  Their measured height is .375.  The low rings are listed as having a height of .250, so that's only a difference of .125...so the mediums will be fine and maybe I won't have too much brass kissing happening against the rear bell of the scope.  

Even though I removed that final spacer and technically brought the LOP under my actual body measurment, I figure that once I have a jacket on it will all even out.  I'll need to re-zero soon.  I'll take care of that and also zeroing the Marlin in a week or so out at my local range.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
12/3/2015 1:40 PM

For those out there using this scope....has anyone used it out on longer range targets in the 500-700 yard vicinity?  if so, does the VX-R you own have the FireDot Duplex reticle, or do you ahve a custom reticle installed?

Mine has the standard FireDot Duplex reticle, which offers no ranging capability for longer shots using hold overs....so in order to accomplish this, I will need to adjust the elevation setting (1 click = 1/4 MOA) to dial in for longer distances.  That's a whole lot of clicks to come up the correct MOA for say a 500 yard shot, based off of a 50/200 zero.  For guys using this same model scope and shooting longer distances, are you using this same technique, using a "Kentucky elevation" hold over / bracketing technique, or some other method?

Just trying to figure out how I can get the performance I want out of the scope, as best I can.  Another option is to have the reticle replaced with an LRV reticle by the Leupold Custom Shop.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
12/3/2015 2:06 PM

Consider custom turrets as an option.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
12/3/2015 2:19 PM

Nice!  I just looked up the Leupold (CDS) Custom Dial System!  That is a viable way to go!  I think I will order some for that scope....probably also get CDS dials for the 2-7 x 33 on my DDM4, as well.  Thanks for the idea!

New Post
12/3/2015 2:50 PM

When I ordered my scope a BDC was not available. I opted for the turret. To be honest I just haven't done much shooting with them to say if they are good to go or not. I would say buy one and see if you like it or not. What little shooting I have done with it seems to be good enough for my uses.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/3/2015 3:11 PM

Yep...I'm going to call the Leupold folks tomorrow and provide them my ballistics data.  I'll also probably send them the sheets I have that shows the data for the different rounds I use, and also a copy of the dope card I have for my GSR.  

New Post
12/3/2015 4:01 PM

alpendrms wrote:

Yep...I'm going to call the Leupold folks tomorrow and provide them my ballistics data.  I'll also probably send them the sheets I have that shows the data for the different rounds I use, and also a copy of the dope card I have for my GSR.  

Leupold is selling a screw-on CDS type turret now.  Just out.  I'd spend the money for that LRV.  I'm pretty sure the drops on it are just like the LRD, and those are identical to the B&C.  200yd zero, 300yd first line, 400 second, 450 third line, 500yd post.  That would be for a 155 Scenar @ 2800fps. A 150gr Nosler BT will fall 20-30 yd short of those

New Post
12/3/2015 4:08 PM

Take-a-knee wrote:
alpendrms wrote:

Leupold is selling a screw-on CDS type turret now.  Just out.  I'd spend the money for that LRV.  I'm pretty sure the drops on it are just like the LRD, and those are identical to the B&C.  200yd zero, 300yd first line, 400 second, 450 third line, 500yd post.  That would be for a 155 Scenar @ 2800fps. A 150gr Nosler BT will fall 20-30 yd short of those

Yes...the screw on CDS cap is what I already was talking about in my earlier post.  Part of my conversation with the Leupold people I'll talk to tomorrow will be about the CDS and the LRV reticle.

New Post
12/4/2015 9:49 AM

Just ordered a Leupold SOD turret (user install) for my VX-R 1.5 - 5 x 33.  Gave the rep my ballistics and environmental data for the etching onto the turret.  Once he does all of the computations, the new dial will be set up for me to quickly dial in all the way out to 550 yards, based off of the data for a Black Hills 175 gr BTHP with a ballistic coefficient of .505 and 2500 FPS.  http://www.americanrifleman.org/artic...

Also asked the tech rep about another thing about the standard duplex reticle.  I asked whether the thicker part of the cross hair would coincide fairly well with a 500 yard hold.  He said it would be pretty dang close.  Good to know.

New Post
12/4/2015 11:59 AM

alpendrms wrote:

Also asked the tech rep about another thing about the standard duplex reticle.  I asked whether the thicker part of the cross hair would coincide fairly well with a 500 yard hold.  He said it would be pretty dang close.  Good to know.

EXBAL says 432yd (200yd zero) for the post on the B&C for that load/bullet @ 1000ft MSL/60F.  If you look at Leupold's PDF and see if the distance from the crosshair to the top of the post is the same on both of those reticles that will work for you.  I'd suggest 155gr Lapua Scenars if you are try to shoot "Way out past Ft. Mudge":.

New Post
12/4/2015 2:46 PM

Just ordered one of these 1.5-5x Scouts.  I believe this scope on the GSR will finally convince me to sell the Steyr.

New Post
12/4/2015 10:03 PM

I want pics and a report Take-a-knee!

New Post
12/15/2015 9:11 AM

Installed my Leupold Custom Shop SOD (Screw On Dial) Turret.  Pretty easy install and making adjustments is quick.  I will get to test it out on a long range next month....should be good to go out to 550 yards now....even a bit past that.  

[

New Post
12/15/2015 7:02 PM

I too have SODs coming for a 1.5-5 Leupold VX3. Hoping it will be on the money. Time will tell. Mine is set up for MK262.

New Post
2/8/2016 8:54 PM

Anyone have this scope on a Ruger GSR with low Leupold or Warne mounts? If so can you post a picture?

New Post
2/11/2016 11:14 AM

CZ all the pictures of my rifle with that scope are in low mounts. I think Warne, but can't remember right now.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/29/2016 9:19 AM

I am mounting a VX R Scout on a Ruger GSR. For those of you that are running this combination, would you recommend Warne low rings or mediums? I have the standard factory rail and iron sights.

New Post
4/29/2016 10:47 AM

Low rings

New Post
4/29/2016 10:53 AM

10-4, thank you sir.

New Post
6/19/2016 9:25 AM

How much does eye relief change when changing from 1.5 to 5 power when using the VXR 1.5-5 IER? Do you have to creep closer to get proper sight picture? Does anyone have experience with both the 2.5 scout scope and the VXR 1.5 to 5 scout scope on a GSR? And if so does the added magnification benefits outway the extra weight of the vxr?
Regards,

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Leupold VXR 1.5-5 IERLeupold VXR 1.5-5 IER