Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Weapon ShieldWeapon Shield
Previous

Next
New Post
3/30/2016 7:19 PM

So, at the risk of reigniting the age-old "best gun lube" debate...nearly as volatile as the .45 vs. 9mm one...I give you this option for a weapons cleaner-lubricant-preservative.  Weapon Shield recently underwent some hard-core testing by DOJ SMEs and emerged the best...head and shoulders....above ALL other competitors.  And I do mean ALL.  

Now, like many of you, I have to say "show me", and "prove it to me".  Well, I've been going through my own small tests, beginning with cold temps, and whether Weapon Shield would "freeze in battery" when applied to my 1911.  So far, down into single digits, it is still as slick as it is when at "normal" temps.  The folks that conducted the DOJ testing tried it on a contraption that replicates repeated cycling of an action over and over.  Weapon Shield kept functioning well beyond the point when others seized up.  

I also watched a video made by the inventor that conducts similar tests.  Impressive results.

So, I'll put this out there among our many learned and experienced HPG Forum folk....your thoughts?  So far, I am getting the feeling I may have found the proverbial Holy Grail lube.  Maybe it's too early to say that, but my initial personal findings are promising.  All feedback and insights are of course always welcome.  I am sure there will be some that still swear by Hoppe's #9...if for no other reason than the fact that the scent of it reminds us all of deer camp!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
3/30/2016 7:56 PM

I know nothing of Weapon Shield but I'm liking Lucas Gun Oil a LOT so far.

New Post
3/31/2016 6:21 AM

Good video describing the characteristics of the product, and some shop testing against some others on an interesting device that was designed expressly for testing lubes and friction levels.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oXD34To...

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
3/31/2016 8:31 AM

I think it's worth mentioning that 99.99% of all "gun lubricants" have been - and always will be - some existing product that has already been developed for some other application - they're simply rebranded products. I suspect Weapon Shield is no exception.

Secondly, small arms don't have any special lubrication requirements outside of any environmental considerations. Too thick, too thin, too little or too much will always have the potential to cause problems, but the properties of the product itself are not that critical.

If you use the right amount (of the right kind for a particular firearm) under the right conditions, lubricants will not be a failure point.

New Post
3/31/2016 9:17 AM

41magfan wrote:

I think it's worth mentioning that 99.99% of all "gun lubricants" have been - and always will be - some existing product that has already been developed for some other application - they're simply rebranded products.

This is obviously the case with Lucas Gun Oil, as they make automotive products.  Having said that, lube up an AR with CLP and another with Lucas Gun Oil, and cycle the actions by hand, and you'll know the Lucas product is on another level.

We found out 30yr ago that STP would markedly increase the reliability of an M60 machinegun on a hot day.  Lewis Awerbuck favored  auto tranny fluid  for lubing his firearms.

New Post
3/31/2016 10:20 AM

I am off the merry go around of the next greatest lube. I tried Froglube and quickly found it wasn't as advertised. I tried Fire Clean and only after a long period of use found out it wasn't right for my uses. At this point, I know that Slip 2000 and EWL work for my uses based off of years of use in a variety of environments and on a variety of platforms. Sure I would like something a bit less viscous, but there are always trade offs. I was very interested with the information Nick shared in the Winter Skills Class on TW-25B. I used TW-25 (can't remember if it is B or not) for a number of years prior to going to the Slip Stuff, again on a variety of platforms, temps, environments, etc..., and never had a problem. As what I was using was a grease I was a bit leery of it in colder temps, which finally prompted my switch to the Slip stuff. I have a number of bottles of the slip stuff and until it is used up I will be just using it. I may get a tube of the TW-25B to see if it is what I used before, or heck dig through storage boxes and see if I have any left. Other way I won't be switching lubes again until a product has been on the market for a number of years with lots of feedback from a variety of users. Inducing issues with my guns just to try something new is not where I am at.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/31/2016 12:37 PM

scothill wrote:
Other way I won't be switching lubes again until a product has been on the market for a number of years with lots of feedback from a variety of users

I've heard this one's had a couple of years of real world testing...

Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

New Post
3/31/2016 1:10 PM

thelunk wrote:
scothill wrote:
Other way I won't be switching lubes again until a product has been on the market for a number of years with lots of feedback from a variety of users

I've heard this one's had a couple of years of real world testing...

Sorry, I couldn't resist :)

Ballistol is good stuff ..... but I quite often don't use it on guns. :^)

New Post
4/1/2016 9:00 PM

I've also recently been turned on to weapon shield and really like it. the series of videos on the friction machine show it is slicker than any other lube out there, including Lucas.

I also really like fireclean, too.

so far, i haven't run into any issues with weapon shield

New Post
4/2/2016 7:30 PM

I've kind of come to the opinion based on personal experience that all CLP's are fundamentally flawed, not in the individual products but the concept. Their claiming it will clean, lube and protect/ preserve in one product. The last two I can certainly get behind, but a cleaner should be it's own deal. For all of the bike guys on here, do you use the same product to clean your chain as well as lube it? Probably not. After reading many reviews of "the next best thing" I've decided part of the problem was just a matter of trying to do too much with one product. So for me for the foreseeable future I'll be keeping my cleaners and lubricants as two distinctly products. In my case that's Hoppes #9 to clean (a gun has never been dirtier after using it). And currently Boeshield T-9 for lubricant, rust inhibitor. It is totally a carry over product, I believe from aerospace, that's made it's way into the bike industry and it was the closest thing to me last time I did a really through stripping and cleaning of my weapons. I know it works great in outdoor environments in crappy conditions and seems to be holding up well in my guns so far. But that's just my $0.02

Really any lube that penetrates a little and has staying power under high temp should be just fine. Like others have said there can be certain environmental factors that can make one stand out just a bit from the others but they're mostly all 80% solutions. Just depends on which end of that scale you're on as far as what you're expecting that product to do for you.

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
4/3/2016 9:42 AM

Weapon Shield actually has a solvent product as well, for periodic deep cleaning.  I used that before using their CLP.  My 1911 has remained very slick with it...in all the right places.  They also have a grease for specific applications.

New Post
4/3/2016 4:17 PM

alpendrms wrote:

Weapon Shield actually has a solvent product as well, for periodic deep cleaning.  I used that before using their CLP.  My 1911 has remained very slick with it...in all the right places.  They also have a grease for specific applications.

what did you think of the solvent? --especially as compared to the standard bearer, Hoppe's #9, or say, Brakleen?

New Post
4/3/2016 5:17 PM

I have never regarding any of the lubes I was using as a cleaner. Sure some make it easier to wipe stuff off, but that is about it. I used to use Tetra cleaners, and then switched to the Slip Stuff because it is non-toxic. It might take a bit more elbow grease, debatable, but I don't mind getting it on me. Hoppes #9 never really impressed me, neither did their lube, and unless things have changed it is toxic as hell. I will personally pass on that.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/3/2016 6:29 PM

That's a good point about the toxicity of various products Scot. Lubes will be subject to high temps that can cause them to break down into any number of nasty things. And cleaners you're in prolonged contact with and depending on where you clean your weapons adequate ventilation might not always be available. I've always worn gloves when cleaning but that does nothing to prevent inhalation. Looks like I need to upgrade at least my cleaner!

"Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children."

New Post
4/3/2016 10:30 PM

Slip 2000 and EWL

Any decent lube will work, but I like the two above better than anything.

And personally, just plain auto oil works fine too. I've never had a gun in good mechanical condition fail if it was kept even decently lubed.

New Post
4/4/2016 7:20 AM

A non-product-specific consideration.  If you're using separate products to clean and then to lubricate, make sure all the cleaning product is completely removed from any pieces before you apply the lube.  If not, any residual cleaner could negatively impact the fresh lube.

And one comment about Boeshield.  On its web site, there are multiple references to the product leaving a "clean, waxy coating".  It does, and it provides good protection for metal, wiring, etc.  However, this is definitely a situation of where too much of a good thing isn't good.  On small, tight-fitting parts, particularly where there is some spring-loaded action, Boeshield's "waxy" coating can "glue" the pieces together and inhibit/prevent proper functioning.  As in, for example, fly reel pawls and drags.  Don't ask . . .

Generally, as more/less stated above, most any decent oil, and perhaps a light grease for sliding parts, applied regularly, will keep guns running.  Considering the thermal and mechanical loads that are put on engines, including turbine-powered ones, and that those can be kept well lubed with "most any good motor oil", then one could presume that "most any good gun oil" would work on firearms.

New Post
4/7/2016 9:18 AM

I have used synthetic ATF for oil and TW25-B for grease for a while. I spend much of my hunting time in the North West UP. It gets cold there and I have never had a problem with ether lube.

The ATF is good to -30 or -40 F and the TW25-B says -90 F I will take their word on that one. My limit is -10 F to -15 F. Never had an issue with the lube freezing or gelling.

The ATF tends to stay where you put it for me any way. I do put it on thin I am sure if you put it on heavy enough it will run.

Best regards,

Roadie

New Post
5/26/2016 10:21 PM

Flyfishr, I am aware of the "waxy coating" claims, in my uses I've never had any issues including bikes and firearms. On a side note for the cyclists on here, if your shifters ever start to get gummy feeling or sluggish, a blast inside the shifter pod with Boeshield will get it feeling like new again.

But after this conversation and others I've gone ahead and ordered up a Weapon Shield kit. It comes with cleaner, lube and grease. Once I get it I'll clean everything thoroughly and re-lube with the new stuff. I'm curious if I'll notice much if any difference.

New Post
5/27/2016 9:22 AM

I've recently converted to Redline ATF fluid since I had a partial bottle sitting around.

New Post
6/8/2016 9:08 AM

Just saw this thread. I have used some specialty weapons lubes in the past, Slip was a good one. I started looking at testing, MSDS, and other factors such as cost. I'm kind of a redneck stuck in the city for now, but I came to the conclusion Mobil 1 or most synthetic automotive oils will work great.

That said I live in Texas we don't get down to single digits much, but Mobil 1 is tested to flow at -40F. It has more viscosity than an ATF. Some may want that some may not. ATF may not be a bad option it is thinner though. I have seen a lot of guys who use a mix of synthetic oi/ATF.

What I know is heat tested, Mobil 1 doesn't cook off on my AR very easily. It works on my 1911's. It is cheap. Slip was big cost for a few ounces and I get a quart of Mobil 1 for $5. I have been using that same quart for 3? years now.

My personal bang for buck favorite is Mobil 1, and in 3+ years of using on my weapons I have seen no adverse effects. The one caveat is I have never had occasion to test it below 30 degrees. I don't see it changing much at temps somewhat colder, but I cannot personally attest to that.

*I would also add, my weapons have not been any harder to clean. I have no idea if they were easier.  It's pretty easy to clean if address when you are done.  Not everybody has this option.  Just reporting my experience.  

Lug1.... If you falter in a time of trouble, how small is your strength?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Weapon ShieldWeapon Shield