Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Surefire XC1Surefire XC1
Previous

Next
New Post
5/4/2016 7:42 PM

Anyone have any experience with the Surefire XC1?  I'm intrigued by how light it is, but from reading descriptions it sounds more like a light for a dark house, and not the dark woods.  Would I be better off with the x300?

New Post
5/8/2016 10:29 PM

I am still unsure what niche the XC1 fills. It does check the box "light mounted on pistol" But for throw, spill, and general power, it falls well short of what we have gotten used to. One truism is that when you need a gun, you really need an efficient gun with enough power for the job. The same formula is true with lights, particularly in the outdoors. I have always been amazed at how back country uses up lights that seemed pretty bright in town. I have seen this on a number of occasions looking for a "possible armed intruder" at rural properties. Distance, minimal reflectivity, and little ambiant light all conspire to soak up lumens at a high rate. I have yet to find a location, urban or rural wherein I wished for a less powerful light.
I would install an X300U and call it a day.I

New Post
5/9/2016 7:38 AM

It was designed for CC and I think it fits that niche better than anything else. That being said I wasn't super impressed with the switch setup. One guy had it on his gun in a local lowlight class I took, and even with my big hands I didn't find it very easy to make work. He ran it just fine in the class, but I didn't want to rush out and get one. Whether or not it is enough lumens is a whole other discussion. If you want a dedicated light on a gun you CC, especially IWB it is probably worth a look otherwise I would look elsewhere.

And yes folks do CC IWB the larger lights, and I have done it, but it is not ideal when you need to more concealed at least in my experience.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Surefire XC1Surefire XC1