Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Favorite AR Mags?Favorite AR Mags?
Previous

Next
New Post
5/21/2016 5:27 AM

I'm still mostly running the Magpul Gen 2 P-Mags, but I have always taken care to use the dust covers / feed lip protectors on mine.  I even did good cleanings and put the covers back on after coming back inside the wire after patrols.  I've only had one go bad on me, and that one was a hand-me-down from another guy I was overseas with.  I have so many P-Mags....probably around 20 of them....that I really don't think I could justify getting new mags unless the new one was significantly better.  I have several old-school USGI mags, as well.

I've recently chatted with Nick about his preferred AR mags...he likes the USGI ones with Magpul followers.  Apparently, the Magpul Gen 3's aren't a huge improvement over the older ones, so I don't see myself buying any of those.  

That said, is anyone using the Hexmags?  Others?  I'm also interested in trying one of the new DD 32 round models sometime.  Figured this could start some intelligent discussion here on the Forum and provide insight for others, too.  So...what's your favorite AR mag and why?

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
5/21/2016 9:08 AM

I have Hexmags. They've got a bit of a different feel than the P-Mags. As in, P-Mags feel sturdy, the Hexmags feel a little... cheap. They also use some sort of plastic that is bendier than the P-Mag.

I actually have a bunch of them because they are cheap, but i'd prefer P-Mags.

My friend had issues getting the Hexmags to seat in his AR, but I haven't had that issue at all.

New Post
5/21/2016 9:40 AM

This is what I mean, squeezing the P-Mag like this doesn't produce much noticable flex, but squeezing the Hexmag does. So a full mag flexes out a little vs. empty

New Post
5/21/2016 10:33 AM

Hmm.  Interesting.  A lot of the reviews I've read about the Hexmags touts their feed lips being thicker / sturdier than the PMags.  Have you had any issues with their functionality?  I actually ordered a couple to try out from Wise Tactical because they were inexpensive and I figured I would give them a try.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
5/21/2016 6:20 PM

I haven't really had any issues with mine. A couple were hard to seat at first, but that could just be me being a wimp. I don't put my stuff through hard use like you do though, mine just makes trips to the range.

New Post
5/21/2016 6:30 PM

chorpie wrote:
I haven't really had any issues with mine. A couple were hard to seat at first, but that could just be me being a wimp. I don't put my stuff through hard use like you do though, mine just makes trips to the range.

Truth be told, now that I'm retired from active duty, mine really only go to the range as well.  Maybe the odd backcountry trip.

New Post
5/22/2016 9:14 PM

I've had such good luck with p-mags, and I have so many of them, there'd have to be a pretty compelling development to make me try something new.

New Post
5/22/2016 10:07 PM

I dont have experience with a large variety of AR mags, but I own Pmags and PSA GI pattern aluminums.  Both do well for me.

IraqVeteran8888 did an AR mag torture test and at the end concluded (and I paraphrase) "This test concluded what we all already knew.  You should just keep buying Pmags."

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJgZ-u8iYuI

New Post
5/23/2016 1:32 AM

P-mags, Aluminum GI mags with Magpul followers, and British steel magazines with +10% springs and Magpul followers

New Post
5/25/2016 4:26 PM

Just got a couple Hexmags in the mail today and loaded them up for some shooting this coming weekend.  So far, I really don't see a single thing wrong with them.  They don't feel flimsy, they loaded perfectly, nice surface texture, good color (got the green ones).  I tried to force an extra round in past 30....nope.  It stopped right at 30.  The feed lips definitely seem more robust than my Gen 2 P-Mags.  They insert and release in my AR just fine, as well.  Plus, the price is right.  Once I shoot with them to see how they perform, I'll pass final judgement for my own uses.  I'm not going to drop them loaded on their feed lips or run them over with my truck....that's been done.  But if they perform fine for general use and do everything they are supposed to do....good to go...and I will probably order some more.

New Post
6/6/2016 9:18 PM

Hey alpendrms,

Been too long since I been on here. I have not used the hex mags, I cannot speak to them. I am very interested in the new DD's coming out. What I can tell you is beyond the few metal USGI mags I have, my collection is split up at 40% G2 and G3 Magpuls and 60% Lancer L5 AWM's. I REALLY like the Lancers. That said these days they are coming it a little bit more in price than Magpuls. I really like the the translucent smoke L5's. I have some of all colors though.

My magpul G2's hold up great. I make it a point not to drop them to much out of the magwell. The G3's I don't worry about they are very robust. All of these mags have held up very well for me. They have all functioned near flawless. But I keep buying and have love for the Lancer L5's.

I will post a great torture test done on another forum that brings some insight to several brands(hoping that is acceptable). It takes forever to get through this thread and it is heavy with video embedded but it held my interest off and on for several nights to get to the end of the meat.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/581741_The_Unscientific_Plastic_Magazine_Test___Videos_pg15___Part_2_pg16___mobile_users_56k_do_not_click_.html

Hexmag vids
https://vimeo.com/88778573
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlAgXVSiJzQ

If you want an L5 I will send you a couple to try, new in the package. I probably have more than some would say I need. In my mind I don't have enough yet though ; )  If you want a couple I will get them to you through JKW.

Lug1.... If you falter in a time of trouble, how small is your strength?

New Post
6/7/2016 4:24 AM

Hey Lug1!  Yep...good to hear from you!  I picked up some Gen 3 Magpuls and dyed them with Rit dye to darken them from the almost white sand color.  Haven't had a chance to shoot 'em yet.  Also got a couple Hexmags.  Both seem good to go for fitment and such in my DDM4...just need to find some time to get on the range.  I handled the new DD mags at an ADS Federal LE & Mil Vendor Day last Friday, and nothing stood out to me about them as being "the new hotness" and worth the $ they want for them.  As of now, between the older and newer ones I have, I'm fairly well set.  I will probably be down your way sometime in July, so maybe we'll get to link-up.

New Post
6/7/2016 7:54 AM

Yea my opinion is the Magpul G3's and the Lancers are the best polymer mags out there, for fit, feel, and function. The Lancers are a hybrid with steel feed lips though. Make sure JKW tells me when you are down or drop me an email or something. I'll get you a black, OD, or FDE one to paint up and Translucent smoke one. You can try them out. The market is pretty thin right now on mags. Lots of people prepping. But I keep pretty good tabs on where the cheapest buys are in stock.

That torture test of mags I posted is really something fun to look at. That guy does some crazy stuff,soaking them in chemicals and so forth. His finale is a real BANG!

Headed out to Arkansas this morning, my daughter is gonna be a college student. Woo pig sooey!! Age how does it work?

Lug1.... If you falter in a time of trouble, how small is your strength?

New Post
6/7/2016 10:56 AM

Magpull magazines cause malfunctions.

Not really, but they do enhance most inept shooter's tendency to "insert then bump" an AR mag.  IE, stick the mag into the magwell, then whack the bottom of the mag.  You can confirm this for yourself by fully loading several metal  mags and several Pmags.  Hold just the mag in your dominant hand and then whack the bottom with your support hand.  Most often the Pmag will squirt a round out of the mag with much less force than a GI mag.  Carry this bad habit over to loading an AR with a Pmag and you will sometimes have user-induced  "double-feeds".   This is the result of poor/absent training, not  Magpull's fault.

The only real issue I've seen with Pmags was GI's doing repeated mag dumps on full auto and cooking the feed lips so that they spread.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Favorite AR Mags?Favorite AR Mags?