Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Sig P220 10mm v. Kimber Tle Rl 10mm Sig P220 10mm v. Kimber Tle Rl 10mm
Previous

Next
New Post
7/25/2016 9:15 PM

Very excited that the boss gave me clearance for another firearms purchase. I am looking to add a steel-framed 10mm to the paddock. I have it narrowed down to either the Sig P220 or Kimber Tle Rl. 

Looking for any advice on either model or, if someone is lucky enough to own both, a comparison. 

I feel like I can't go too wrong with either. Thanks for your time on it. 

New Post
7/27/2016 6:18 AM

I have handled a few of the Sigs, but never shot one, and my experience with the Kimber 10 is a sample of one, but it is probably the roughest 1911 I have ever pulled apart including a Llama I owned way back in the day. My dad got it against my advice, in general I can't recommend Kimber, and then was having lots and lots of issues. Some of them were due to him not being a 1911 guy, but there were a lot of issues that were just flat out rough. All kinds of burrs and rough areas, etc... After a lot of experimentation with various springs and magazines he got it running. It seemed to shoot pretty well, but personally I would stay away. What I saw did nothing to change my mind that Kimbers in general look great and have a nice feature set for the price, but can be pretty damn dodgy in the reliability department.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
7/27/2016 3:31 PM

I don't think I'd want a "dodgy" 1911 in 10mm. That cartridge tends to heighten any weaknesses already present in a 1911. I don't have the Sig, but at the very least it will be one of the easiest shooting 10mms you will find. If the trigger is anything like Scot's 9mm SAO, it will also be a shooter.

New Post
7/27/2016 3:38 PM

Gun Tests recently had a review of 10mm's. The Sig, Glock 20 and a 1911 variant (I forgot which). All got decent reviews with the Sig and the Glock 20 getting A marks (the 1911 got a B grade I think). The difference between the Glock and the Sig was basically price in the mind of the reviewers. Accuracy was good in both of them. I have a Glock and like it but think the Sig would be a great 10mm.

New Post
7/30/2016 9:21 AM

Wow. Excellent thoughts. Sounds like the Kimber is not as solid as I perceived. The Sig P220 is such a widely used and loved gun. I am confident in its reputation. I will be adding one as a big brother to my P938.

Thanks!

New Post
7/30/2016 10:51 PM

Just some random thoughts I have...I have a G20. It is awesome. I am not a natural Glock ergonomics fan. But I do like my 10mm after training with it and adjusting to the ergonomics. I also would like a Sig 10mm.

The 10mm is a good cartridge and flies straight. Get some full power ammo though. Most of the off the shelf stuff doesn't do much more than a .40. That is ok for some range use, but if you are gonna have a 10mm for any hunting or defense purposes get some good ammo. I prefer Underwood XTP with controlled expansion. I also have some of their hardcast. The 10mm Gold dots in Underwood offerings are not a good choice that bonded bullet was made for the .40 s&w. From all I have seen the 10mm Gold dots do not hold up well at 10mm full power. There are a couple other full power 10mm options, but I do not have personal experience with them.

I have a friend who is very happy with Kimber 10mm. It is a newer model. I know that Kimber had a bad run for a couple years with some of their MIM small parts. This hurt their brand. My understanding is they have righted the ship on this issue. My 2 kimbers in 45acp are awesome, smooth and not a lick of trouble. But they are several years old before the MIM problems. Used Kimbers would be hit or miss as they did have a bad run. I do not have those dates handy. My thoughts are the newer Kimbers are ok, from what here from those who have the newer ones.

All in all though if I were buying, I would buy a Sig first. I like Sig. I only own 2(right now).

Best of luck in your choice.

Lug1.... If you falter in a time of trouble, how small is your strength?

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Sig P220 10mm v. Kimber Tle Rl 10mm Sig P220 10mm v. Kimber Tle Rl 10mm