Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Collapsible AR stock suggestionsCollapsible AR stock suggestions
Previous

Next
New Post
8/26/2016 11:37 AM

I am finishing a couple of projects and need some suggestions for collapsible AR stocks. 

How does the BCM Gunfighter stock compare to any of the Magpul offerings? 

I have used the PRS, UBR, Rogers, old school CAR stocks, and the Magpul MOE. 

The PDW stocks seem neat but either require some exotic buffer and spring setup or have a pretty rough cheek weld.  The LAW folder looks cool but is heavy and expensive.

Primarily looking for something that is durable, simple, and tough.  The sleeker and more snag free the better. 

Are there any to avoid?  

Thanks!

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
8/26/2016 1:29 PM

Hey Brother!  FWIW, I've been real happy with the MFT Battlelink Minimalist I installed on my DDM4 build.  

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
8/26/2016 8:13 PM

alpendrms wrote:

Hey Brother!  FWIW, I've been real happy with the MFT Battlelink Minimalist I installed on my DDM4 build.  

+ 1 for the MFT Minimalist!

New Post
8/26/2016 8:19 PM

I've been pretty happy with the Magpul CTR and MOE SL. The MOE SK looks promising...Their UBR was cool, but ridiculously heavy.

No experience with the Minimalist. No experience with the BCM models.

New Post
8/26/2016 10:13 PM

I will give the MFT and MOE SL stocks a look.

Oddly enough I just walked in from doing a little calling and varmint hunting. Sure enough the UBR on my go-to AR still gets the job done... But YES it is heavy.

New Post
8/27/2016 8:59 AM

I'm liking the Rogers stock.  When you flip that lever it is LOCKED.

New Post
8/28/2016 9:10 AM

I keep coming back to the CTR as my favorite all around stock. There are other stocks that do well for somethings, but have short comings in other areas. The CTR just works well. I do have to say I haven't messed with the newer SL Magpul stuff. I checked out the MFT, but didn't like the bottom sling swivel location. I haven't used one, but based on past experience with bottom sling placement, I am just not a fan.

If you are looking for smaller and lighter check out the LWRC UICW. It is quite a bit lighter and full collapsed it provides a smaller overall package. The downside is fully extended you get a length that is just a bit longer than 2 clicks in with a CTR. If you are smaller stature that may not be an issue or if you just run it there. For me it doesn't work, unless I had a LAW folder, which is the setup I would like to eventually have as the weight savings between the two balances out the weight of the LAW, and folding really makes a difference in length.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/30/2016 10:25 AM

I have worked my way through most of the Magpul stock line and I think the MOE SL and the CTR are the best when it comes to bang for the buck.

I currently have the SL on both of my carbines (223 and 308). I went with these over the CTR since the receiver extensions are A5/AR-10 length and the SL will collapse almost all the way down over the extension and lock closed (my OCD).

However, I am still holding on to my take-off CTR for a future carbine build. I like how the skeletonized design of the CTR lends itself to hanging the rifle muzzle down by a hook which is handy for hanging behind a door or any wall space shorter than the length of the carbine.

I also have an MOE SL-K on my SBR and one on my wife's carbine that I really like. It's about the size of the old school CAR stocks. If you are looking for sleek and snag free, you might look there. My only gripe with the SL-K is you have to buy the M-LOK QD mount if you want QD swivels.

New Post
8/30/2016 8:58 PM

Thanks again all for the recommendations!

I will also add the CTR and another vote for the MOE SL-K to the list.

There are sure worse fates in life than having too many options...

New Post
8/31/2016 12:36 PM

The BCM stock is nice--i've only compared it to the MOE, and like it a little better. My favorite is the B5--it's much wider than most of the others on this list

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/B5-Systems-SOPMOD-BRAVO-Milspec-Stock-Black-p/b5(1082)system-bravo-stock-blk.htm

New Post
8/31/2016 7:26 PM

I'm another MOE SL fan. I've bought a couple and plan to buy a couple more. These have the qd in the stock. I have run VLTORs for years but like the MOE SL better as I don't need the storage and the cheekweld is there without plucking hair from my beard.

I also own a B5 (nice width but too loose on the tube for me), MFT Minimalist on an M&P 22-15 Sport (it's a stock and works, came with the gun) and a CTR on another M&P 15-22. Overall I'm digging the MOE SL handguard and stock combo.

New Post
9/2/2016 10:40 AM

I was excited about the MOE SL until I discovered that it weighs the same as the CTR. And with the CTR I always take the rubber buttpad off to save weight and make mounting the rifle less snag prone. So the SL ends up weighing more. It does feel nice though. The SL-K should actually weigh less and is intriguing. The LWRC Scot mentions only weighs 2oz less than CTR, but does get the collapsed length significantly shorter.

Personally, for a GP carbine (7yds to as far as your optic will take you) I'd throw on a CTR and not look back.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
9/12/2016 6:23 AM

I've had about all of those. I like the basic Magpul stocks and Vltor stocks. But the new BCM stock is where I'd go for my next stock. Priced right, lightweight, and solid.

New Post
9/12/2016 12:33 PM

Funny story lads: I went to the store to buy that MFT stock and a 9mm conversion barrel with some store credit I had.

Instead, I came home with an MCX.

Whoops.

[Edit: the stock and the barrel were for two separate projects.  And now I still have those two, separate projects.  Plus a new one.]

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Collapsible AR stock suggestionsCollapsible AR stock suggestions