Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Bargain GP RifleBargain GP Rifle
Previous

Next
New Post
9/19/2016 7:58 PM

Saw this and thought of the several posts I've seen about guys trying to put together a general purpose rifle on a budget. If you're okay with a standard scope and no DBM, this one checks off a lot of boxes (buis, threaded) for the money -- about half a GSR. $400 as of posting this.

http://grabagun.com/savage-11-hog-hntr-308win-20-t-b-bl-od.html

New Post
9/19/2016 9:00 PM

hard to go wrong with the new savages. looks like a great deal

New Post
9/20/2016 8:19 AM

Attempts at finding a better General-Purpose Carbine than the poly/SS GSR are futile.  Save up.  It costs a little over half of what a Steyr Scout does.  It isn't THAT expensive.  Sell some crap you don't need.

New Post
9/20/2016 7:20 PM

Because everyone has plenty of extra stuff to sell...

Just trying to help those who want something now, rather than later so they can -- I don't know -- start shooting. This is about half of what a GSR is, and is still less with a decent scope mounted leaving room for ammo. Not something on my list, but there have been plenty here trying to figure out a way to get going, this might work. Could always be that crap you sell later when you don't need it to buy a GSR.

Full disclosure: not a Savage guy and have nothing to do with the distributor. Just trying to help.

New Post
9/21/2016 1:18 AM

I've read a lot of good things about the Hog Hunter. In fact, I was going to get one before I got the GSR.

The main complaint I had about it wasn't the blind magazine, or the fit/finish but it was the weight. The thing is damn heavy. At least it feels damn heavy. The specs say 7.25 lbs, so maybe my T-Rex arms are just weak. But the specs also say all weight and dimensions are approximate.

I'd think about the Ruger American Ranch in .308 if you're looking for an inexpensive-ish GP rifle personally. Rotary detachable magazine is strange, but for all intents and purposes, a fine rifle.

I keep seeing reports of people getting them for $400-450. But i'm in California, so everything costs more. I don't think i've seen one locally for under $550.

New Post
9/21/2016 3:26 PM

The SS Ruger American Compact is a nice little rifle, but the magazines are problematic and hardly robust enough for a GP carbine.  Putting BUISs on one is doable, but by the time you get there, you could have just bought the GSR.

New Post
9/23/2016 9:19 PM

My opinion is if youre on a budget to go used.  I picked up a nice early 00s Savage 111 .30-06 Synthetic Stock with a Simmons 3-9x scope (probably came from the factory on it) 2.5 years ago for $375.  Its nothing special and definitely not a GSR, but its not bad to carry for a day hunting (though I havent weighed it) and Ive had no problem dropping elk with it.  If youre set on new you can get a Savage Axis with a (probably not very good) 3-9x scope for less than $350 at Sportsmans Warehouse (the cheapest place Ive found to buy a new gun). The Axis with included scope (per Savage website) weighs 7lb.

New Post
10/2/2016 5:49 AM

Another inexpensive option is Mossberg's MVP.  I found the .308 Scout model which has great iron sights and the rail that can serve both conventional eye-relief scopes or scout scopes, of which I chose (Leupold 1.5-4x28 VX 2 IER) along with some low QD rings.  I like that it will take both M1A and AR10 magazines which I had a few 10-rounders of both.  Some people have complained about it, but I've had zero issues.  Plenty accurate out to 100 yards (groups were about 2.5", but that was mostly me and I know I could shave a little off that).  The bolt is rough though and it's not anywhere near as smooth as Ruger's GSR; it's still functional and reliable, but don't expect a polished action for the MVP.  The stock is "meh".  It's functional as well...a good beater rifle for sure.  What I do like is the weight.  With an empty mag and scope, it's still only 7lbs, 14oz.  I've added a synthetic ching-sling to round out the package and quite happy for the price and money invested and performance on the range to this point. I will say, I've fired about a couple hundred various (mostly surplus) rounds through the OEM, AR10 and M1A magazines and have had zero issues...a very nice feature to this compact DBM scout rifle.

[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ROCK-6/media/Firearms/IMAG0193_zpsehgc50tw.jpg.html]

[/URL]

ROCK6

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Bargain GP RifleBargain GP Rifle