Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...AR Folding Stock Adapter....Thoughts?AR Folding Stock Adapter....Thoughts?
Previous

Next
New Post
9/28/2016 11:25 AM

Any HPG folks running one of these on their AR?  If so, how well is it performing?  Pros & Cons?  Does it add significant weight?  Does it have any adverse effects on how well the AR "feels" while shooting?  

I've been seeing a lot of photos of them recently in different gun mags.  I guess the one from Law Tactical, LLC is the only one currently out there.  Thanks in advance for any insight.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
9/28/2016 11:57 AM

I have been using a LAW on an AR pistol since shortly after Shot and I love it. It turns an already compact package into a VERY compact package. That being said it isn't cheap and you take a weight hit. If my memory is correct it adds ~10oz to the gun. I have had one issue with it, and that was the inner collar loosened up over time (8 months or so). I went ahead and gorilla fisted it and time will tell if that fixes the issue. If not I might try some loctite or similar.

So would I buy it again, yes for that application I would as the overall size of the package in essentially ready to go status allows me to use bag that is very discreet, which was the point in the first place. That was not something I was able to do with the regular setup.

Would I buy one for another rifle. I have been seriously debating getting one for my 14.5 pinned. I am a huge fan of folders for storage and transportation. Unlike Evan I don't need stock in to feel good about myself during use (bonus points for anyone besides Evan who gets the movie reference), but I do find that the more compact a package the easier it is during those times. During regular use I could care less.

In fact instead of getting a fullsize 300blk or x39 upper I have been seriously considering waiting for an MCX in one of those caliber specifically to get the benefits of a folder without the weight and cost penalty.

I will clarify that I only have 200-300 rounds through the gun with the LAW on it at this point.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
9/28/2016 12:21 PM

I think they are up to Gen 3 now. All I know is that their customer service has been appalling. I've been trying to buy one for about a year now...phone calls go unanswered as do emails.

New Post
9/28/2016 12:34 PM

I have a Gen 3, and I know there has been issues with production, and while it sucks been there done that personally so...

My understanding is that don't sell any direct anymore. Check Brownells they have some in stock now. I can't comment on CS as mine was procured during Shot.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/6/2016 12:19 PM

I have quite a bit of experience with the side folder stocks an a number of platforms. I am a fan of the side folder (not under folder) on AK systems or anything ware there are no moving parts of the recoil system in the stock i.e. The FN SCAR. A folder on a standard AR is more of a hindrance than it is worth IMHO. There are better options to achieve a very small compact package. My absolute favorite is the BAD VERT PDW stock system. It collapses very small adds minimal width and the firearm functions weather it is open or closed. It is also very fast to deploy. I have them on a 8" 300 Blk, 10" 5.56 and a 11.5" 5.56. reliability is on par with the stock buffer system and it is very light. YMMV Just my .02!!

Love to be outside running bikes and guns... Director of Mil/LE Sales Vortex Optics

New Post
10/9/2016 9:48 PM

I had a chance to examine a recent production 3rd Generation LAW tactical adapter. I also had a chance to shoot it. My impression was that it was a very solidly built item. So much so, that I am actually considering buying one. The unit adds a bit of weight and length to the typical AR stock set up. I did not detect any "looseness" or play when I shot the gun. There were no malfunctions when I shot it. Between me and a couple of other shooters I observed the gun being fired approximately 100 to 125 rounds. This isn't a huge round count. The extra weight did not unbalance the gun and it behaved just like any other AR carbine.
That said, the owner is a former SF operator and an active duty peace officer who deploys an 5.56 carbine for work. He has significant experience on the AR system. He advised he had no issues with the 3rd Generation variant. He suggested getting the latest 3rd generation variant. The owner's intended use is on a "travel gun" that has a minimal foot print. In that role, I think the LAW Tactical adapter has real merit. For most carbine users, it probably isn't necessary. For a "travel gun", which is the use I envision, it significantly shortens the length of the weapon and does so for significantly less cash outlay than getting a SIG MCX or even the MCX upper with the side folder that SIG advertises. In this role, this is a vehicle borne weapon. For a gun I carry in the woods, I would not want the added weight. Of course the neat thing with this system, is that there are no permanent changes to your base gun.
Hope that helps.

New Post
10/10/2016 9:13 AM

2fat2tri wrote:
My absolute favorite is the BAD VERT PDW stock system. It collapses very small adds minimal width and the firearm functions weather it is open or closed. It is also very fast to deploy. I have them on a 8" 300 Blk, 10" 5.56 and a 11.5" 5.56. reliability is on par with the stock buffer system and it is very light. YMMV Just my .02!!

How far behind the end of the receiver does it extend when fully collapsed.  The various PDW stocks are interesting, but my concerns are check weld, how much length are you really cutting, and what is the fully extended length.  I got Evan a LWRC UCIW stock for his birthday. Fully extended it is between 1 and 2 clicks in on a MOE/CTR stock, but collapsed it gives him an OAL that is I think 3" shorter.  Not as short as a LAW, but it does make the rifle enough shorter that he can go down a bag size without any weight penalty.  The stock feels nice shooting, but is to short for me as I run 1 click in when wearing a pack and fully extended without a pack. 

For reference the LAW adds ~1" to the end of the receiver.

New Post
10/10/2016 4:32 PM

Oh yeah, I talked to a guy who has installed a fair number of LAW stocks, and his immediate comment was sounds like you didn't get the set screw tightened. I checked it and sure enough it was loose. I can't remember if I forgot or just didn't get it all the way tight. Anyway seems like the loosening was an installation error by me.

New Post
10/12/2016 9:19 AM

The BAD Vert is about 4.5" collapsed and just shy of 9" fully extended from the receiver. The Carbon Fiber shroud provides a solid cheek weld. I like the BAD design over some of the others because you can use a standard BCG ind take down of the rifle is the same as the stock setup. Some of the other systems require a special BCG with an insert that makes tear-down a little more finicky. Over all I am really happy with it and it is the bees knees on a little shorty 8-10" gun!!

Love to be outside running bikes and guns... Director of Mil/LE Sales Vortex Optics

New Post
10/12/2016 11:11 AM

That thing must be made out of gold.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...AR Folding Stock Adapter....Thoughts?AR Folding Stock Adapter....Thoughts?