Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Thoughts on the 10mmThoughts on the 10mm
Previous

Next
New Post
8/3/2019 4:42 PM

Hey,

To my knowledge, there haven't been two different versions of the Speer Gold dot 10mm recently. There was a different 200 grain Gold Dot projectile produced in the '90s, but it had a different SKU and is long out of production.

If you are asking specifically about SGammo, which shows SKU# 54000 box of 20 for $11.95 (out of stock) and another SKU# 54000GD box of 20 at $23.95 but available, that has been on the SGammo website for over two years.

They posted 20 round boxes at $11.95 when it was brand new and sold out almost immediately. Supposedly, it was actually a mistake, but they honored the sales anyway. I know I scarfed some up when it made the rounds on the internet, and when I went back for more, the deal was long gone.

They are the same product. I doubt we'll ever see it at that price again though!

New Post
8/4/2019 11:58 AM

chriscscs wrote:
ELmac- I believe Glock actually designed then G20 around the 10 then modified it for a 45.

DIng ding ding... if you know the Glock numbering system you know that the 20 was actually their second caliber offering after the 9mm.

As an aside, I was going to ask for some advice for getting into 10 mm as I got a good deal on a Delta Elite... now I think I am gonna unload it and get a 357 revolver to shoot up all my 38 special ammo

New Post
8/4/2019 2:27 PM

Glock introduced pistols in .40 S&W in 1990, the 10mm came a year later.

New Post
8/4/2019 2:34 PM

41magfan wrote:
Glock introduced pistols in .40 S&W in 1990, the 10mm came a year later.

I stand corrected, but the 21 was based on the 20

New Post
8/4/2019 4:50 PM

Wose wrote:

Hey,

To my knowledge, there haven't been two different versions of the Speer Gold dot 10mm recently. There was a different 200 grain Gold Dot projectile produced in the '90s, but it had a different SKU and is long out of production.

If you are asking specifically about SGammo, which shows SKU# 54000 box of 20 for $11.95 (out of stock) and another SKU# 54000GD box of 20 at $23.95 but available, that has been on the SGammo website for over two years.

They posted 20 round boxes at $11.95 when it was brand new and sold out almost immediately. Supposedly, it was actually a mistake, but they honored the sales anyway. I know I scarfed some up when it made the rounds on the internet, and when I went back for more, the deal was long gone.

They are the same product. I doubt we'll ever see it at that price again though!

Wose:  Exactly the site and situation that had my attention.    I’m already in the project phase (long time fascination w 10mm and have a good friend who owns several) having recently acquired a glock 40.  I’ve mounted a trijicon rmr on the slide and have about 300 rds of reloads and some 180gr Hornady XTPs through the gun.  I’ve enjoyed it so far and the stock trigger is better than most glocks. I may still replace it w a ZEV drop in.  Thank you Sir!

New Post
8/4/2019 6:25 PM

Chip B

in my opinion, having shot a full build zev 17 back to back with my stock polished 17... a buddy and I felt that my stock trigger with a factory neg connector polished was better feeling than the trigger in the zev

New Post
8/4/2019 8:03 PM

El Mac wrote:
...A 10mil gun needs to be built as a 10mil gun from the ground up. Glock took a .45 and converted it to 10. Problematic.

Sig took a .45 gun, gave it a new frame and new slide built to handle the 10.

Agreed, and that's why whenever I get around to buying a 10mm, it will be a Sig P220. 

New Post
8/5/2019 8:10 AM

Smithhammer- look back through this thread. El Mac was incorrect in saying that Glock built the 10 on a 45. It was actually the other way around. During the late 80s and very early 90s much of the LE community was using the 10 so from a business standpoint introducing the 10 first was logical.

As for the Sig, you will have a very heavy gun with limited capacity and not much over a 40 or 9.

New Post
8/5/2019 8:15 AM

Oh? Tell me then, what is different between a G-10 vs. a G-45? A barrel.

Of course the SIG is heavier. It's made of steel. Duh.

But keep drinking that Glockaide.

New Post
8/5/2019 9:04 AM

El Mac- Naturally, since it was designed around a 10, the difference would be the barrel and larger hole in the slide to accommodate it. There may also be a different extractor but I’m not sure about that.

New Post
8/5/2019 11:09 AM

The large frame Glocks (10mm & .45) were developed pretty much in parallel and released within months of each other. Neither cartridge was - by any stretch - in high demand (or even being used) by LE.

ETA: Glock's sequential model number scheme is related to the order in which patents are managed. The G22 and G23 was actually developed and brought to market prior to the G20 and G21.

New Post
8/5/2019 11:27 AM

I'm not sure it's super productive to continue the chicken/egg argument regarding the Glock 20 and Glock 21, but I would note that by the time the Glock 20 came to fruition, the 10mm law enforcement loads had been substantially downloaded. What started out as an aspirational goal of a 180 grain bullet at 1200 FPS had changed to a 180 grain bullet at 950 to 1000 FPS. This is the power level the Glock 20 was designed around.

Then people realized we could achieve those ballistics with a shorter cartridge case, and a correspondingly smaller gun, and the .40 S&W was born.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with .40 S&W ballistcs as a urban/suburban EDC load, and frankly it makes a decent trail pistol load. When I took a Glock 20 on long trips, I would typically carry 175 grain Critical Duty as we transited urban suburban areas, and load up the 200 grain hard cast rhino rollers in a wilderness environments.

One thing worth noting about the new 200 grain Gold Dot and HST loads is that they are made to meet the 12" to 18" penetraion with 1.5 expansion specs, which they do easily. They are great barrier blind bullets that should work well through auto glass, bear skulls and similar. What those loads DON'T offer, in my opinion, is a substantial improvement over more commonly available .40 S&W or .45 ACP loadings.

The unrealized promise of the Glock 20 was to get wide meplat, hard cast 200 grain bullets going at velocities that rival magnum revolvers. I was never able to get that combintation to work correctly, thus the whole reason for owning a Glock 20 in the first place just went away.

New Post
8/5/2019 11:49 AM

In 1992 I worked at a police supply store in VA and I remember we had so many used S&W 10mm from the VA State Police that they had traded in. Even though I’m no longer a huge fan of the 10 I kind of wish I would have picked one up for myself. Those are classics now.

New Post
8/5/2019 12:02 PM

Having carried one for over a year, you couldn't give me one.

New Post
8/5/2019 1:13 PM

chriscscs wrote:

"...As for the Sig, you will have a very heavy gun with limited capacity and not much over a 40 or 9."

Yeah, I get that. Having carried a large bore revolver in the backcountry for years, even on multi-day trips in a kit bag, the weight isn't that much of a bother for me. I'm used to all-metal Sigs and don't mind the additional mass, esp. with heavier calibers. And having 8+1 rounds of 10mm on tap (plus a reload) suits my needs.

On top of that, I'm just not a Glock guy. 

New Post
8/5/2019 2:54 PM

I’m with you. I like the smith model 69 44mag. It doesn’t get much use these days on my archery excursions. I mostly take the Sig 365

New Post
8/5/2019 5:11 PM

My Sig 220 handles Rimrock 220's at 1150 fps with no problem, weighs about the same as my Gold Cup, packs as easily in a kit bag. I tried Smith 29s, 57's and 58's, all heavier and thicker. Have a Smith 329, nice to pack but painful with anything other than 44 special. Currently playing with a Freedom Arms 97 in 45 colt. Nice gun, nice size and might end up being the gun during hunting season and the Sig the rest of the time. Everything is a compromise, find what you like.

New Post
9/12/2019 8:29 AM

I had a Glock 20 which I traded and I still have a Glock 29. More than a 357, less than a 44; somewhere in the 41 range. The 10mm was initially developed in 1983 by Jeff Cooper and chambered in the Bren Ten. The 40 S&W came into being somewhere around 1990. I like the 10mm in the G29 as a compact woods gun. I didn't care for the G20. If I need more oomph, I would rather carry my S&W M29. I do love 44 mag.

To help with the Glock chicken and egg. Glocks are numbered in the order the was pistol patented. A Glock 17 would mean that the pistol holds the 17th patent. So the Glock 20 holds the 20th patent and the 21, the 21st patent.

To convert a G21 to a G20 (or vice versa) you have to replace the barrel, magazines, and the slide assembly. You could by a new pistol for the price of the conversion.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Thoughts on the 10mmThoughts on the 10mm