Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Winchester Trapper in 44 Mag?Winchester Trapper in 44 Mag?
Previous

Next
New Post
4/6/2018 8:45 PM

While perusing the local gunshop, I found a nice Winchester Trapper in .44. I have been looking for a .30/30 for quite awhile to no avail. I have a Marlin 1894 with a 20 barrel in .44, but the Trapper is much handier. I also feel more comfortable actually using the Winchester over the Marlin, since good Marlins have become extremely hard to find/replace. I have tons of ammo and components, so ammo is not an issue. I also have a few .44 handguns to match up to the trapper. 

So if money were not a consideration, should I add a Trapper to the stable? Does anyone have a .44 Trapper? Any first hand experience would be appricated. 

Thanks,

Matt

Credo Quia Absurdum!

New Post
4/7/2018 1:04 AM

Sort of surprised the Winchester has less monetary value. On the actual using side, and having a Winchester 94 Trapper .30-30, I would hold out for a Marlin short action if it were in a pistol cartridge or keep searching for a Winchester 94 in .30-30 if that’s what you really want. Not saying it doesn’t work, but that is a lot of action/metal for very little cartridge.

New Post
4/7/2018 6:19 AM

Ironically Evan and I were just talking about that this week. I think there are two use cases for a PC lever action carbine (16" barrel). The first is if you have a pistol caliber suppressor and want to be able to use it on a lever gun. In that case I think a .44 loaded with .44 specials could make a lot of sense. The 2nd is that a 38/357 is a pretty soft shooting, fun, non-intimidating rifle so it is a great way to introduce folks to shooting or even as a loaner to the older or smaller stature folks. In both cases I agree with CCH get a true 92 not the 94. Other then that if I am carrying something the size of a rifle I am going to carry a rifle caliber. This is probably the best read on the subject: http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_rifle_cartridges.htm

Now an SBRed lever gun is a different story. Since I handled one at a gun store years ago I have had a hankering for one as I think they might be the ideal backpack rifle, but that is a different discussion.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
4/7/2018 6:12 PM

The Trapper was sold, so I picked up a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. We will see where this leads, but experimenting and handloading for a new gun is always fun. I have a ton of Golden Tiger laying around, but brass, bullets, and dies are on the way for the reloading end. I will probably put a small 2x7 on it and see how she works out. This is completely opposite from the direction I started, but actually might end up pretty close to what I was looking to achieve.

Credo Quia Absurdum!

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Winchester Trapper in 44 Mag?Winchester Trapper in 44 Mag?