Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...RS Regulate Mount review and cautionary taleRS Regulate Mount review and cautionary tale
Previous

Next
New Post
5/24/2018 7:58 AM

This is my review of the RS Regulate AK302M rear biase lower and RS AKMT Trijicon MRO Mount. I would like to preface this review by saying a few things.  I hesitated to do this review because the whos who of the firearms industry advance the idea that these mounts are the way to go for mounting a multitude of optical sighting systems to the AK platform.  I will also add that, after my brief but rocky relationship with their mounting solutions the aforementioned endorsements both surprise and concern me.  

In short: I cannot recommend this product for any sort of regular or realistic use pursuant to that of a “combat”,  “match” or “hunting”  rifle; if you’re interested in the why of that decision I strongly admonish you to read on. If you’re satisfied with the endorsements of the industry gurus that encourage the use of RS optics mounts then there’s no need read any more.

Most of the problems with this rifle cropped up while attending the Tiger Valley 2 man team event in Waco Texas both in November of last year and May of the current year. I would characterize the abuse that long guns get subjected to at this event as moderate. You are running with the rifle slung/in hand, climbing over barriers, crawling through tunnels, sometimes falling, the rifles are constantly handled, taken in and out of cases/vehicles. I don’t believe that a firearm is subjected to any treatment that could be characterized as exceptionally harsh or unrealistic

The RS mounts simply could not handle the treatment detailed above and keep a consistent zero. Often there were sudden and mysterious shifts in zero. So extreme were these shifts in zero that it became impossible to place shots on targets within 100 yards. These were not zero shifts of mere inches but seemingly feet at said distances. I believe this to be the result a of a fundamental design flaw that seems to plague other US made mounts. The throw lever mounting apparatus that affixes the mount and optic onto the AK side plate does so with a rail grabbling claw. There is no cross member/strut/screw or means to stop the rearward movement of the mount on the side plate rail. In laymens terms the mount stays affixed and preserves zero by means of friction and friction alone. The friction created by this method is comparatively easy to overcome, causing the mount and optic to shift rearward causing DRAMATIC shifts in zero. Such shifts in zero can also come about as a result of throw levering the base off and reinstalling it without pushing the mount fully forward and then locking the throw lever or sighting the optic in with the 302M base in a certain position, removing it and installing it in a different position on the receiver mounted optics rail (something the might be easier to do than you might initially think).

There are other flaws in the design such as the AKMT MRO mount being affixed to 302M base via small screws that might bend or break when the optic sustains a side impact (scews that also became loose after being blue loc-tited) but I don’t intend to expound upon those flaws in great detail because if the mount does not sustain a zero any other criticism levied against it would be purely academic.

I would also like to relate that this is not a sample size of one because I believe that if my partner at the TV two man team event had the surplus time to author a review of the RS mount used to mount his Trijicon ACOG it would closely mirror my own experience.

I will say that the materials and workmanship of all RS products seem to be top notch, and I am not bashing the portions of their product line that are not used for the purpose of mounting optics to the AK platform as I have no experience with those products.

I will say that for RS Regulate to release a product without such poorly thought out design that could be mounted to something that could possibly be used as a life saving device or to put food on the table is massively irresponsible. I am also tempted to go into a lengthy diatribe about celebrity end users of the above product putting their name on, in or around these dismal design failures. I’d like to tell them to stay in their lane and reserve judgment for products that have been tested in the environment they will be used but that is likely to fall on def ears. 

After the problems I’ve mentioned above, being sabotaged in a competitive environment, the time and money wasted after repeated rezeroing, I felt I needed to use my little voice in order possibly prevent people/s from enduring the costs incurred by me and my training counterpart.

I have to apologize for the crudity of this review. It was written in haste as I have an aversion to wasting anymore time on this project.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...RS Regulate Mount review and cautionary taleRS Regulate Mount review and cautionary tale