Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Glock 43 or Shield 9mm or ...?Glock 43 or Shield 9mm or ...?
Previous

Next
New Post
8/31/2018 8:05 PM

Trying to decide between a Glock 43 or Shield (am open to other suggestions also .

I'm in an environment where CCW is completely legal but is culturally a nonpermissive environment.  Discovery would be highly unpleasant.  Glock 19 in belly band works but have been told by a trusted friend I print often. Belly band with the G19 can get a little uncomfortable too. Considering a G43 ( had one before for a little while) or Shield 9mm.   J frame might be an option also.  Sig P365 also except I've heard many have manufacturing defects.

I appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.  Thanks!

New Post
8/31/2018 9:00 PM

365, hands down

New Post
9/1/2018 7:34 AM

My "gun when I'm not carrying a gun", to steal a line from Mas Ayoob, is a Ruger LCR in a Desantis pocket holster.  People carry all manner of crap in their pockets these days, depending on the pants it is, IMO, the most discrete option.  The gun works for me. I have the 38 currently and I'm getting on in 9mm.

I know nothing of the 365 (just eyeballing it, it appears not much thinner than a G19), do like the Glock 43, but I would not carry one appendix, I want a longer trigger travel. I've been splattered by bullet spall from a Glock re-holster incident.  A Khar PM9 would work in that role more suitably.  Make sure it works, some of them had issues.

New Post
9/1/2018 7:47 AM

The 365 is significantly thinner and smaller than a G19. It is in a class by itself.

New Post
9/1/2018 8:19 AM

I've handled both the G43 and Shield but not the P365. From the pictures and stats, the P365 looks exceptional in all but how thick it is. That may or may not matter to you but I'll refrain from commenting on the Sig further and compare the two I've dealt with.

I went with the G43 instead of a Sheild because I'm familiar with Glocks grip angle and the grip is a little shorter (it's also down 1 round). I normally carry with a TTI +1 or +3 extension on it and they've been very reliable for me. It's nice to be able to scale the size of the gun up and down depending on clothing. This can be done with the Shield too but it'll never be quite as short in that one dimension. I carry an ETS 12 round magazine as a reload when I carry it. I can pocket carry with the G43 in most pants using a thin Kydex pocket holster but it's tight. I'd worry about the thickness of the Sig doing this because the slide of the little Glock already prints a little when pocket carrying but I think most people just think it's a phablet. If I had been used to a 1911 or other, more traditional, grip angle I might have picked the Shield.

Ultimately it's personal preference and your past experiences will probably make the decision for you based on the subtle differences between them. The Glock and the Smith are both good guns so you probably won't regret either purchase.

New Post
9/1/2018 8:59 AM

Here is a link to an article with pics comparing the G43 and P365.

https://loadoutroom.com/45708/sig-sauer-p365-vs-glock-43-size-matters/

As you can see, there is no "thickness" issue with the P365.

New Post
9/1/2018 2:33 PM

Since all three of the pistols you've mentioned essentially fill the same niche, it's going to be a pretty subjective choice, magazine capacity notwithstanding. If the additional rounds offered by the 365 are a priority, then the SIG is going to be the standout. If you go that route, make sure you get the latest copy as they're tweaking the design on the fly in the production cycle.

As to the matter of concealment, if you "print" with a G19 there's some probability you'll be detected with these other options you're considering if you carry using the same method. You may have to consider pocket carry with a smaller gun if getting busted is a consequence you're determined to avoid. There are certainly other deep concealment options, but I have no words of wisdom concerning them.

New Post
9/1/2018 5:03 PM

OP here.  Thanks for the thoughts, keep them coming.

Hadn't thought about ankle holsters although I'm not sure it would conceal well for me as I spend a lot of time "publically sitting".  I think as my pants ride up while seated the gun in an ankle holster would become visible.

Still hearing about QC issues with P365's.  Have they been worked through?

New Post
9/2/2018 2:49 PM

El Mac wrote:
Here is a link to an article with pics comparing the G43 and P365.

https://loadoutroom.com/45708/sig-sauer-p365-vs-glock-43-size-matters/

As you can see, there is no "thickness" issue with the P365.

Thanks for that link. The picture I was looking at must have created an optical illusion of sorts.

New Post
9/2/2018 7:00 PM

I am a teacher and don't want to have to explain what or why I am carrying. I have a Glock 26 that I carry in the colder months. I have a 43 that I carry in the summer. I have the same type holster for both and the 43 does not print with just a tee shirt. I also have a Glock 42 that I carry in a pocket holster if I really want to be discreet. I have the same pocket holster for the 43, but it tends to weigh my shorts down. It's not the size, it's the extra couple of ounces weight. The 43 would work, but the 42 pocket carries better. I have Tarin Tactical +1 extensions on my carry mags for both the 42 and 43 making them both 7 + 1. I have TFX pro sights on all of my Glocks and like the consistency and Glock feel across all of my carrying needs.

I have shot the shield, but not the 365. I would be concerned about the 365's weight with 10 rounds if I wanted to pocket carry it.

New Post
9/3/2018 7:40 PM

Tried to post last night, hopefully not duplicating.

bought a 365 to replace a 42, huge improvement. Better trigger, better sights, more accurate and smaller. EDC in front pocket in a DeSantis pocket holster. Works in most except jeans. Conceals better for me than wife's LCR. I'll admit to not being a Glock guy, but I carried the 42 for over a year because it was best thing available. Never going back. 

Good luck with your choices.

New Post
9/4/2018 9:54 AM

Or....?

Sig P938.

Far nicer trigger than any polymer striker I've shot. 8 rounds on tap. Very easy to carry and conceal as well - more so than my Shield.

New Post
9/15/2018 2:02 PM

I have owned both and liked the feel of the Shield much better. Accuracy was the same for me in both.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Glock 43 or Shield 9mm or ...?Glock 43 or Shield 9mm or ...?