Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...38 Special Outdoor Loads Chronograph Results38 Special Outdoor Loads Chronograph Results
Previous

Next
New Post
9/15/2018 2:56 PM

You guys might find the interesting. I’m a fan of the S&W Airweight revolvers for Woods carry bc you simply forget it is there and it works really well in a coat pocket. Anyway, the loads I carry are the Buffalo bore 158 Keith Hardcast and the Underwood Extreme penetrator. Here are the results through the chronograph:

BB 38 Special +P 158 = 1050 FPS

Underwood 140 Extreme Penetrator = 1000 FPS

These were fired from a model 360 1 7/8” barrel 

New Post
9/16/2018 9:48 AM

That is some impressive performance for a heavy .38+P round out of a 1-/78" barrel.

New Post
9/16/2018 6:31 PM

I thought so, too. That’s similar to 9mm 147 +p+ at 1175 (from a 4” barrel). I have no doubt that those two 38 loads would penetrate a bear’s skull if need be.

New Post
9/16/2018 9:44 PM

chriscscs wrote:
I thought so, too. That’s similar to 9mm 147 +p+ at 1175 (from a 4” barrel). I have no doubt that those two 38 loads would penetrate a bear’s skull if need be.

Maybe....but bear skulls are known to be pretty good at deflecting rounds more powerful than that. It's good performance for a .38 load, but the last thing I would want to do is test it out on a charging bear's skull. Personally, I would never opt to carry a .38 snubby with bears in mind, esp. when far better options exist. But that's just me. We all make our own choices. 

New Post
9/17/2018 6:10 AM

I have big balls and a small brain so I have no problem whatsoever with a 38 in these loads for black Bears. All of the “verified” reports that I know about of deflections on a bears skull have been from soft lead hollowpoints. I have tested these enough to have confidence in them. Now, if I lived in Alaska I would want a bigger gun.

My first line of defense is that tiny brain and my second is bear spray.

New Post
9/17/2018 7:31 AM

chriscscs wrote:

My first line of defense is that tiny brain and my second is bear spray.

Ha - same here.

And glad you clarified that you're talking about black bears. In my part of the world, I'm as likely to run into a grizz as a blackie, so my perspective is a little different.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...38 Special Outdoor Loads Chronograph Results38 Special Outdoor Loads Chronograph Results