Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...When to Sell Guns that are Safe Queens?When to Sell Guns that are Safe Queens?
Previous

Next
New Post
12/23/2018 12:17 PM

I have guns I never use but could occupy a niche under certain circumstances.  One is a old style (larger frame) .44 magnum Ruger Vaquero. The other is a 1970s Marlin 1894 .44 magnum.

How do you decide when to sell a gun vs. hang on to it?

New Post
12/23/2018 12:24 PM

If it isn't a family heirloom, a spare for a primary, and hasn't been out of the safe in a year for use I start thinking about it really hard.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/23/2018 12:38 PM

Thanks Scot.  Both aren’t made anymore, at least in the same format, but they only come out of the safe when someone wants to come over and shoot a “cowboy gun”.

I have a S&W 629 (with safety lock unfortunately) for a big bore revolver role. No other lever gun at this time but can’t think of a common role where I’d grab the 1894 over a semi rifle or bolt gun.

New Post
12/23/2018 3:58 PM

Is it an 1894 or 92? As in does it have a pistol length action?

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
12/23/2018 5:26 PM

At some point, I've regretted selling EVERY well-built gun that has left my inventory. Unless it's something you can readily replace, give it some serious thought before you decide. Every lonely gun in the back of my safe has (with time) only increased in value and desirability. There's an old southern saying about things that have intrinsic value, yet often go unused for extended periods of time; "They ain't eatin' a thing, so why get rid of 'em?"

New Post
12/24/2018 10:33 AM

scothill wrote:
If it isn't a family heirloom, a spare for a primary, and hasn't been out of the safe in a year for use I start thinking about it really hard.

What he said. Generally, I'm moving something along those lines to get something I think I'll get more use out of. I "downsized" my gun collection a while ago, and have had very few regrets about focusing on ones that get used rather than ones that don't.

New Post
12/25/2018 8:31 AM

Pulled it out and it is stamped “1894”.

Like many guns, especially of that period, it is a marvel of engineering and ergonomics.   I can envision in 1895 this gun if it was chambered in .44-40 paired with a Colt SAA in the same caliber would have been a great pair for a guy that lived in a beautifully remote cabin in the Rockies and only came to town once a year.

Unfortunately that’s not my profile now, so need to decide if it and the Vaquero need a better home.

New Post
12/25/2018 10:45 AM

Disregard.  Duplicate post.

New Post
12/26/2018 3:24 AM

That is a tough one. I think I would keep the vaquero over the S&W 629. That lock in the side is just plain ugly. 95% of the time when I am out in my woods i am wearing my 3” gp100 .357. I like to take my 77/357 rifle also. Same ammo = convenient.

New Post
12/26/2018 10:52 AM

There's quite a bit of desire for older "JM" marked Marlin Rifles right now, particularly in pistol cartridges. While they are good guns, they aren't as magical as many would have us believe, but I wouldn't let that stop me from selling one at a premium if I could.

The .44 Mag Vaquero isn't made anymore. Not sure what that does for the value, but a quick search of Gunbroker would tell you.

I try to keep the number of firearms I own to a manageable level, but in some ways, I'm just as concerned about the different types of ammo that I have to maintain a stock of. In your case, you've other .44 Magnum guns, so that's an argument for keeping it I guess.

When I have to make a decision of whether to get rid of something like like this, I typically sit on it for six months to a year. I'd give this one some thought. If it was something like a Glock 19, it wouldn't be so hard. They are fungible, so if you sell one, you can have another with a quick trip to the LGS and some damage to your credit card. Older Marlins and discontinued Vaqueros are harder to come by if you have regrets.

New Post
12/26/2018 1:30 PM

I've been on a mission to downsize this year, as well as to consolidate/focus my caliber choices. I also firmly believe in actively using the guns I own (I have no interest in being a 'collector'), and so similar to Scott, if I have a gun that's been sitting in the closet for a year without being shot, it's likely getting moved along. This year, I divested myself of the .44 platform entirely with my Redhawk and Henry getting traded for other things I'll use a lot more frequently and can shoot much more cheaply. Like a lot of shooters, I went through a .44 phase, but in reality it just isn't a caliber that I'm going to shoot frequently, nor have much of a practical use for. Same with my two .38 Special revolvers and my 40 S&W semi. Handguns are all 9mm now (except for one .357 revolver) and my rifles are 30.06 or 5.56/223. Life got a lot simpler and more economical, which means I tend to practice/train a lot more...

New Post
12/27/2018 10:23 AM

Thanks guys.  Will probably hold off on selling until I scrub what I own vs. roles/capabilities.   The Marlin 1894 is probably one of the easiest repeating rifles to reload for, which is a plus for me.

New Post
12/29/2018 11:22 AM

In my mind lever gun and 94 equals 30/30. I forget that Marlin is 94/95 instead of 92/94 like Winchester. The reason I ask is that the true pistol length lever guns are very popular right now especially the older ones. That is a double edged sword. You can probably get more than you paid for it pretty easy, but it is going to be hard to replace.

Even if you don't count the family heirlooms that I am the custodian of, I have way more guns than I would like to have. It is actually frustrating because I have nice stuff just collecting dusty, which is a blaspheme to me. I have sold a fair number of guns over the years, and really the only ones that I regret selling are the ones that I traded in at a gunstore early on, and "favors" I have done for a specific person. In both cases I got bent over. I know better now, and don't do gun stuff with that person unless it is an outright present, in the other I just take the time to sell myself. I like guns and seem to find reasons to buy stuff, and/or my tastes have changed. As I said, if they haven't come out of the safe in a while I start thinking hard. That doesn't mean it is a quick decision for me, but rather I start mulling it over. I have sold a lot of "grail" guns over the years, both my grail and others, in my case I found out they weren't all they were cracked up to be. In some cases they fit some perceived niche, which gave me a reason to keep them around. I don't regret selling them, and in some cases I did very very well selling them. Honestly, I am kind of always thinking about what I can sell, as I want the stuff I have in the safe to be used. At the same time I have trouble in that some things I just can't pass on when I get the opportunity to buy, like the early Winchester Trapper 30/30 or semi-custom BHP I just picked up. In the first place, while I prefer Marlins the Winchester Trapper is about the perfect pack rifle in my opinion. Having one in the safe just makes sense to me. The BHP is the best looking semi-auto in my opinion, it just has an elegance to it, and messing with a couple in the safe of a gunsmith friend recently didn't help. He doesn't know it yet, but when he finishes a current project for me I have another to drop off.

At this point, I have three rifles for sale, and honestly I have another rifle, a shotgun, and 4 handguns, maybe 5 I would like to sell. The shotgun was a 18th birthday present, so it is basically in the heirloom category. The other rifle is a franken AR15, which makes a good loaner when I am teaching someone, and I just don't have much money tied up in it. The handguns are harder, two I use frequently as loaners when I am training, so they will likely stay around, but otherwise I don't have a personal use for either. One is a custom G17 from a good friend, and even though it makes me want to be a Glock guy I am just not, but it is a hell of a nice gun, and a frequent loaner when folks visit, and need to borrow a gun. The last is currently my heavy woods gun. For that purposes it is a great gun, it just doesn't get me excited or pride of ownership.

Another way I look at guns, is if my house burned down and I suddenly have a check to buy guns, what would I buy to replace the stuff that was destroyed. For me it is a good exercise and instructive, in that there is stuff I own that I am big fan of, but wouldn't buy again, or would buy something similar to different. I would hope to end up with fewer guns that I then used the heck out of, but knowing me there would likely be creep as there is now. I sell to keep levels manageable, and frequently has a way to repay my account for money just spent on another gun.

I am not sure if my ramblings have helped, but I thought I would ramble for a bit.

New Post
12/30/2018 12:17 PM

Thanks everyone-appreciate the opinions.  Scott thanks for taking the time to write out your thought process-much is the same as mine so the confirmation helps me.

A number of my little used guns are heirlooms or  guns that are quality and potentially useful but probably wouldn’t sell for much.

If I sell, it will probably be the Vaquero and I’ll keep the Marlin for the time being.

Everything is connected...one of my reasons to sell safe queens is to generate funds for a M&P 2.0 .40 based on the HPG experience and discussion.  If M&Ps work for me it may lead to the exodus of some Glocks.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...When to Sell Guns that are Safe Queens?When to Sell Guns that are Safe Queens?