Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Aimpoint Micro with Ruger Scout?Aimpoint Micro with Ruger Scout?
Previous

Next
New Post
4/4/2019 9:25 PM

Anyone using this on their GSR? If so, how do you like it? Have you gone as far as 300 yards with it? Thanks in advance! 

New Post
4/9/2019 11:36 AM

So, I opted for a Sig Romeo5 (standard model) this time. I’ve had an Aimpoint before and while they are fantastic I just can’t justify paying that money again since budget ones like the Spark and Romeo are so tuff. Anyway, I’ll put it through it’s paces over the next few weeks and see what I can do with it at 200-300 yards. I only paid $65 on eBay (used).

New Post
4/9/2019 5:23 PM

I missed those Romeo5's the other day for $17.99 on WOOT ... I'd have bought a dozen of them for that price.

:^)

New Post
4/11/2019 5:45 PM

The Micro is a very legimate option for the RGSR, especially if it is the 2 MOA version.

I have shot gophers out to 95 yards with one on an AR. Gophers are small targets....

I believe that on a somewhat larger target the Micro is satisfactory out to 300, and offers a lot in terms of compactness. I would have no problem going on a random one week trip anywhere in the US west with such a combination.

New Post
4/11/2019 6:06 PM

With an AR, the general concensus is that a red dot is about 30% faster than irons.  I've always believed that a bulk of  that speed increase was due to the AR's ergs not really being "snap shot" friendly due to the sight height above the stock comb slowing matters down. A parallax-free red dot with unlimited eye relief REALLY helps. 

I'm not sure this is wholly accurate with a Scout, ESPECIALLY with a Steyr (stock ergs).  I don't really think a red dot will speed matters up compared to a scout scope, and even if I'd decided against a forward optic, I'd lean toward something like a Trijicon Accupoint (don't get the AR version, much too short in the eye relief dept)   Seems a shame to give up 4x capability with a 308

New Post
4/11/2019 6:35 PM

Take-a-knee wrote:
Seems a shame to give up 4x capability with a 308

Yeah, that's why I keep taking an aimpoint off of my .308 bolt gun. The low weight and bulk are really nice, but then I think "if I'm only running a red dot, it might as well be on a .300 BLK". And then I go back the other way again and put a red dot back on the .308.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/12/2019 9:05 PM

I’ve run an aimpoint on an AR for work for a while, but never shot it past 100 yards. Recently picked up a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39, and put a Primary arms red dot on it. I’m pleasantly surprised with how it shot and how far I was making hits with it. I don’t think I would go that route with my Ruger GSR, but for the x39 it is great. I’m not overly happy with the action on the Ruger Ranch, and Have thought about the CZ in the same round. But for what I bought the rifle for and considering I like the mags on the Ruger better, it will do for now. 

New Post
4/13/2019 5:14 AM

I’ve come to a similar conclusion. 6x scopes on my 243 & 270, red dot on the M4. But, the most fun in the gunsafe right now is my Ruger 77/357. The 4x compact I had on it just wasn’t working for me for some reason. I put a Weg-a-tinny rail and Holosun solar powered red dot on it a few weeks ago. Completely different shooting experience. Quick target acquisition, plenty accurate to 100 yards, just fun to shoot. Plinking with 38s it’s like an overgrown 22, with a little thump to it. Should make a dandy rabbit, hog and short range deer gun.

New Post
4/14/2019 11:47 AM

I had one on a Ruger Scout a few years ago. I thought it was probably good for me to about 150 yards elk hunting. No way would it work for me to 300 yards.

New Post
4/14/2019 5:38 PM

View the red dot sight as you would irons, but without having to focus on multiple items.

If you would be comfortable slinging up, adjusting the battle sight on a 1917 to 300 yards and taking the shot, then a red dot sight is viable for that same distance.

New Post
4/15/2019 6:02 PM

Longeye, I agree.

I'm considerably over 21, and my eyes aren't that good anymore. That is why I qualified it by saying "for me" in an elk hunting scenario. Thanks for providing the opportunity to clarify.

New Post
4/16/2019 10:51 AM

So far, milk jugs at 200 yards are not much of a challenge with a solid rest, for the Romeo5 / GSR combo. I haven’t tried 300 yet.

Here in the East 300 is a very long shot, unless you’re in a cornfield or similar. Most of the deer I harvest are within 100 yards so RDS would be fine. Although I still think I feel better with a magnified optic.

I do like having the option of having my Leupold scout scope in my day pack and being able to transition between them using QD rings / bases.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Aimpoint Micro with Ruger Scout?Aimpoint Micro with Ruger Scout?