Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Unrealistic Expectation 7 lbs?  moa?  Really?Unrealistic Expectation 7 lbs? moa? Really?
Previous

Next
New Post
10/29/2012 12:10 PM

I think that the expectation of a 7 lb. .308 semi-auto rifle offering adequate reliability  and accuracy for your stated purposes is unrealistic.

A good case can be made for a bolt rifle which will reload using strippers, having a detachable box magazine, sturdy iron sights, and the ability to mount optics on a quick-detachable rail mount. 

I had built 20-some years ago a bolt rifle resembling a sporter-weight M40, with clip-shot, McMillan stock, M14 front sight installed on 20 inch barrel, contour similar to '03 Springfield, peep sight similar to an XS machined into its rear scope base.  It weighs 7-3/4 lbs. with 6x42mm Zeiss Diatal-C scope, which can be installed or removed quickly without loss of zero.  Iron sights have solid 300 meter zero, as does the scope.  Vertical crosshair has range tics for 100 through 500 meters. Range card with wind diagrams is laminated to butt.  Solid moa grouper over repeated strings with M118LR or good handloads. Does NOT a detachable mag, as I have had no need for one.  With iron sights and reloading with strippers I have no problem firing 10-shot strings prone or sitting rapid in service rifle time.  Rifle is accurate and handy.  Have seen nothing since I would trade it for. Alot of miles and many trips with that rifle which has served well.   

New Post
10/29/2012 12:26 PM

ke4sky wrote

I think that the expectation of a 7 lb. .308 semi-auto rifle offering adequate reliability  and accuracy for your stated purposes is unrealistic.

A good case can be made for a bolt rifle which will reload using strippers, having a detachable box magazine, sturdy iron sights, and the ability to mount optics on a quick-detachable rail mount. 

I don't think it is unrealistic at all, but agree it is not currently available.  There is at least one gunsmith who has made a couple of one-off AR10 style rifles that are around 7lbs according to his reports and accurate. I have no personal experience with them and have no reason to doubt him or believe him, but at one point a muzzle loader with a 30" barrel and powder pan was state of the art in firearms.  Firearms design is constantly evolving and changing and it is silly to say that because something hasn't been done it can't be done. The Larue PredatAR is around 7.75lbs if memory serves, reliable, and meets the accuracy standard. I know people who swore that would never been possible  Is loosing another .75lbs completely undoable? I don't think so looking at the PredatAR, but maybe that would result in loosing the accuracy level.  Only time will tell what is possible.

Until then I am rocking a Ruger RGS and custom Remington 700. 

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/29/2012 12:58 PM

I'll believe it when I see it.  If it could be done in production it would be out there. I spent years in governmment labs with unlimited engineering resources and money evaluating captured foreign military equipment and trying to develop more effective small arms, ammunition and ancillary equipment for our troops.  I was involved in the development of the M16A2, M4, M24 and special application sniper rifles up to my ears.  I am very familiar with the AR platform, including the 7.62mm Mk11 and M110, but I do not own one....and don't care for them.  I have owned FALs and M1As, and I don't own them anymore either.  The only semi-auto battle rifle I own is a partially accurized  M1 Garand in its original .30-'06 caliber, and I have a 1970s era No.4 MkII* Commonwealth target rifle in .303 with AJ Parker 8/53 conversion and quick detachable scope which  scratches the stripper clip reloadable with 10-shot detachable magazine itch.  But I am a 64 year-old dinosaur and set in my ways...

New Post
10/29/2012 1:13 PM

My thinking is that since the 1950s no significant work has been done on the semi308 until the last few years, which has given us the Larue PredatAR and SCARH.  Prior to that my understanding is you basically had the KAC variants, and starting with the GWOT the EBR on the military side (not speaking to the legacy systems like the FAL still in use in places).  In both those cases the focus was on precision and not can we make this lighter and still have the capabilities.  As you are aware materials, manufacturing, etc... have made huge leaps and bounds in the last 10 years not to mention since the 1950s.  Development has been driven by demand, and I don't think until recently there was a demand for a lightweight, reliable, accurate semi 308, or at least enough of a demand to drive much development.  That demand has only really started occuring the last few years, not to mention the stifling years of the AWB, which basically killed all inovation for the civilian market. Kind of like the progression from the early simple M40 and M40A1 variants to the heavy bench rest influenced M40A5 (is that the latest one?) back to the SPR with a shorter barrel, lighter weight, and more compact stock.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/29/2012 11:21 PM

Cavalry Arms style polymer lower, titanium bolt carrier, and a fluted barrel with a one piece upper/handguard and you'd make 7# easily.  R&D would have to be done to make the gas system work with the lighter BCG.  No one has bothered to do the work yet.  I believe it would sell.

New Post
10/29/2012 11:52 PM

Barrel fluting is an iffy thing. Not cheap if done right. Getting proper chamber design is also an imortant factor.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...Unrealistic Expectation 7 lbs?  moa?  Really?Unrealistic Expectation 7 lbs? moa? Really?