Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...McMillan Stocks now available for the Ruger GunsiteMcMillan Stocks now available for the Ruger Gunsite
Previous

Next
New Post
5/28/2013 9:15 PM

It is great to see a project come to fruition. I received the official word today that McMillan is now taking orders for the Ruger Gunsite.  I want to thank Ryan Melancon at McMillan for making this project possible.  When I approached him at Shot not only was he open to the project he was willing to make it happen. I had the opportunity to handle my rifle in one of the mocked up stocks last week, and I am pretty dang excited to get my hands on one for long term use. It fixes the issues I had with the laminate stock.  Unfortunately, they won't be able to offer the inlet front rail for a light like I prefer, but other than that it is good to go. For those wondering they also don't do edge stocks for Ruger rifles.  Basically, the bearing surface doesn't interface well with the edge stock and long term the stock won't hold up. There are no issues with their regular stocks, and since the weight saves is only about 4oz (at least for the HTG I have on order) the reduced durability doesn't make the weight savings worth it in my opinion. 

The following stocks are available for the Ruger Gunsite: MK II Classic, MK II Hunter, MK II Varmint, HTG, A-TH, A3, A3-5, and A5.  Apparently, on the tactical stocks the bottom piece will be slightly recessed. 

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/28/2013 9:51 PM

Even without the forwad rail under the barrel it's still cool to see aftermarket parts coming out for the GSR. Hopefully there will be at least one of these options that cuts some weight. 

New Post
5/29/2013 9:06 AM

We will see, but to be honest for me it is more about changing the handling than dropping weight. 

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
5/31/2013 8:41 AM

Now I have to come up will the cash to get a HTG put on my scout

The HTG is proboly one of the best handling stocks out there and I can get rid of the ugly spacers they are a great idea and work well I just can't stand the way they loolook make sure to post pictures of your rifle when you get it finished also adding the rail will be simple to a fiberglass stock

New Post
5/31/2013 9:25 AM

I will definitely post pictures, and I just hope it is soon. Now I know it is happing the wait is a bit harder to handle.

You are right about it not being a big deal to add the rail, actually it is probably easier than to the wood stock. Finding time to do it might be a different story.

New Post
5/31/2013 9:38 AM

I'm curious how much you fellows believe this is going to change a GSR's characteristics. Since it's not likely to drop any weight more than a few ounces at best what really is going to change? I understand the synthetic potentially being affected less by temperature and humidity extremes. I understand wanting to "make it yours" and have it fit you that much better, and I have no issues with anyone spending their money on whatever they want,  I'm just wondering.

I'm not a GSR purist that thinks it is already perfect nor am I trying to start an argument. 

New Post
5/31/2013 9:58 AM

No problem on the question and it is certainly a valid and logical one that I will try to answer. 

"Feel" is a very subjective thing, and hard to really describe, some tools whether they be knives, axes, hammers, firearms, etc.. just have a feel that makes them a natural extension of your body.  Heck a well designed pair of boots or pack is the same.  They all just feel like they were custom made for you.  Some folks like to refer to that as the "it" factor. There are some things that I think will change, especially after handling the rifle in a mock up stock, like where the balance point is that is easy to describe, but the rest has more to do with how it shoulders and holds for a given individual.   I am guessing that it will reduce weight, but until I get my stock in hand I don't know.  I am also guessing that it will make it a bit more weight forward or barrel heavy as some folks call it. For me that is preferred because it means off hand and in most field shooting positions it will hold steadier.  You don't have to change the weight of the barrel to get that, just the balance point.  The mock up stock certainly had that balance to it and felt lighter, but again it wasn't an HTG so until I get the HTG in hand that is a guess on my part.  The HTG also feels great when I shoulder it, the forend for me seems to be the perfect length, roundness, and thickness to get a good relaxed, but still aggressive hold to drive the rifle.  The cheekpiece is at a good height for me to have a natural head position. I am hoping that it will also be the right height for a natural eye position for the low mount scopes I prefer.  That is all the stuff that is easy to talk about.

Now to the part that is hard to describe.  Of the years I have handled more than a few of Ruger's rifle models in both wood and laminate stocks including the RGS.  In some cases, not the RGS, side by side.  Without exception the laminate stocks just don't have the lively feel of the wood. I heft a wood stock Ruger and think sweet rifle, it shoulders well, points naturally for me, and just feels right.  I heft the same rifle in laminate and think nice rifle, but this feels kind of heavy and while it shoulders well it just doesn't have that I want to carry and shot this rifle feel. For lack of a better term it feels more like dead weight.  My understanding is that laminate is denser, and maybe that is what I am reacting to, but to me the laminate stock hurts the handling characteristics.  Before I got my RGS I spent a fair amount of time trying to source one in the walnut stock, and finally gave up.  If I did have the wood stock I might not be even doing this, but since I don't...

I am not saying that the RGS isn't a good handling rifle and a good carrying rifle. I am saying for me it is not a great handling rifle. I know that the wood stock turns it into a great handling rifle. I hope the McMillan does the same with the advantages of a synthetic to boot.  

New Post
5/31/2013 10:21 AM

Dang I know exactly what you mean by "fit" and "feel" I just didn't know how to explain it so I left it out of my post for the most part. 

I think I know what you mean about the laminate stocks. While for me they dont feel like "dead" weight they do feel different than a standard wood stock. I've compared my GSR stock to stocks taken off my other rifles and (no scale just two stocks side by side) while they seem to weigh the same they do handle different. 

I guess my body is different enough that my GSR is just slightly barrel heavy but not overly so. I find it sits well on target (although you'd not mistake it for the feel of a match rifle) and with a scout scope it's even more pronounced. 

In any event I'm glad to see the aftermarket starting to catch up with the GSR. 

New Post
5/31/2013 10:28 AM

For me the OEM RGS is a bit weight forward, but again the word feel, this feels better to me, steadier. 

As I said I am not sure that "dead" is the right word, but it is the opposite of lively which is kind of how I think of feel of a nice stock.

New Post
7/18/2013 9:47 PM

Not awesome pics, but here it is:

We still have to pull stocks and weigh them by themselves on the good scale, but it appears to be a 10oz savings over the laminate one.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
7/18/2013 10:58 PM

Awesome looking setup. I've never been a fan of the RGS rifle because it was just too damn ugly on several levels. But this stock set up, wow. Much more in line with what the Colonel had in mind. Certainly with what I've had in mind. And getting that FS off the front of the barrel has also done wonders in the looks department as well as keeping the thing handy - one of the principles of a Scout Rifle. Love the side mounted sling points as well!

New Post
7/19/2013 6:17 AM

Looks great, Scot!  One of those stocks may be a future mod for my RGS, even though I'm fine with how the RGS looks....even with the FS.  Love the lines of that McMillan, 'though.  Next mod for mine is switching out the FS and getting it set up to run a can.  Of course, I have to get a stamp for that.  But....you have now got it in my head to add on of these stocks to my list of things I "need"! Lol!

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/20/2013 4:17 AM

this looks awesome!

Really like the color, Is that  mcwoddy or a custom marble?

evanhill wrote

Not awesome pics, but here it is:

We still have to pull stocks and weigh them by themselves on the good scale, but it appears to be a 10oz savings over the laminate one.

New Post
7/20/2013 11:24 AM

Now, thats what I call buisnisslike and somewhat brutally charming...

New Post
7/20/2013 12:30 PM

Scothill,

The stock looks great. Can't waite to see how much it weighs.

I do have a question. With out the cross bolts how are they keeping the Trigger Guard / Magazine Well in place? The rear cross bolt on the original stock holds the magazine well in place with the rear action screw. Is it being held in by the rear action screw only?

Best regards,

Roadie

New Post
7/20/2013 4:02 PM

Thanks guys, unfortunately I have been pretty much out of town since it came so I only have initial impressions. I just pulled the action and weighted it and my modified OEM stock.  They both weight 35ozs, so I didn't loose any weight.  That is kind of a bummer, but I did accomplish what I was hoping to accomplish, which was to change the feel of the rifle.  The balance point on the McMillan stock is about 3-4 inches further forward.  That results in a more neutral to slightly weight forward feel. The rifle shoulders very nice and just sits right there.  Just based on feel I would have said it was lighter. 

That is a custom marble, similar to the McWoody, but brown is the main base color.  The downside is that I found out that in the sun the tan color is red for me since I am color blind, so it just got dusted with some brown aeorve. 

My suspicion is that if you went with a different stock than the HTG that didn't have as long and wide a forend you would end up with a weight savings. However, I really like the feel of the HTG and the way the rifle handles now so I am happy.

Roadie,

Figuring out that issue is one of the things that held the project up. Getting a straight answer from Ruger on if the bolt was required was not really possible. I talked to the gunsmiths I knew, had friends talk to gunsmiths they knew, and of course McMillan did what they do, and everyone agreed that the bolts were the standard reinforcing bolts for a laminate stock and not required for feeding.

I will try to get some better pictures up soon.

New Post
7/21/2013 12:37 AM

Great looking carbine Scot. Replacing the plywood stock with a Mickey makes it a whole new gun. It appears that the forend extends farther than the OEM stock which is also great news for us Neandertals. Side mounted sling cups is another added bonus for across the back carry. I'm starting to want a RGS now........ :)

New Post
7/21/2013 1:27 PM

Scott , I came over from scout rifle, to look at the pics of the McMillan on your RGS. Once here though ,I liked what I saw and have decided to join. I really like the Stock, so much,  that I plan on ordering one on Monday.... I was just wondering a couple of things.. Did you have them install the sling mounts in the stock ? And,  is the forend longer the the ruger stock ? or is that a optical illusion due to the removal of the flash hider ? Thanks, Sutty

New Post
7/21/2013 1:39 PM

Sutty,

Welcome, and Jason is right the forend is longer on the HTG. I would have to measure, but just based on a guess at least 3" if not a bit more, which is what I meant that you could get a weight savings with a different stock most likely. The HTG is just a very comfortable stock.  I also had McMillan install the swivel cups. You can get those added or swivel studs or both or neither your choice. I had hoped to get them to do the forward light rail as well, but they weren't able to do that as part of the construction process.

New Post
7/21/2013 2:02 PM

Scot, Awesome, I'll be calling the McMillan folks tomorrow. I feel this site , like scout rifle, will be a great place to visit and swap info. Tu Compadres, Sutty

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsFirearms and Sk...Firearms and Sk...McMillan Stocks now available for the Ruger GunsiteMcMillan Stocks now available for the Ruger Gunsite