Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereGrand JunctionGrand Junction
Previous

Next
New Post
3/2/2019 7:07 PM

I was looking for some opinions on living in the Grand Junction area of Colorado. I saw the store location being located there but have never seen the city, or area really. My wife might have a transfer opportunity there and we've been looking at options to move West from the Midwest. We were in Colorado last September and spent some time seeing Maroon Bells and did some national forest camping around there. We finished the trip going back toward Colorado Springs and spent a few days around Pueblo.          

Since I'm on this forum obviously we both enjoy hiking and finding some secluded places to camp. I also enjoy hunting and fishing. Although it would be very different from what I'm used to I'm looking forward to some western hunting oppurtunities and the miles of hiking and learning it will take to do that.

I guess I'm not looking for a perfect answer just curious about some of your thoughts. Since I believe a few people who use the forum live in Colorado. I liked Colorado Springs and Pueblo and most of what I drove through central Colorado. I am aware of how many people it seems like are moving to Colorado and West in general. So I know that is pushing rent and home prices up. Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks!        

New Post
3/3/2019 2:54 PM

Junction itself is desert, not exactly what most people think of when they think of Colorado. We're right where the Colorado Plateau (1000s of square miles of sparsely inhabited desert slickrock country) runs into the Rocky Mountains. We've got both desert and mountain country right in our backyards, but town itself is desert. Summers have some number of weeks where temps are dancing around the 100 mark and then plenty of weeks in the high 80s to low 90s. Spring and fall are usually months and months of clear skies and wonderful temperatures. Winter can be nonexistent or very much for real. Every handful of years we get an inversion layer that gives us weeks of temperatures that top out in the single digits. It's still a western town with a slower pace of life, low population density, and not a lot of bullshit with people trying to get in your business. That's changing as people from the other side of the mountains try to escape what they've created over there and move to what is still real Colorado. Now is definitely the time to buy property in GJ as I think it's going to really blow up in the next 10 years for people moving here for the way of life.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/4/2019 4:00 PM

How deep do you have to drill a well there on rural property?  I'm thinking water collection would be the way to go, maybe with a solar pump if you had a well to augment.

New Post
3/4/2019 5:50 PM

Dunno on well depth. Probably depends pretty considerably on where exactly. It's the junction of the Colorado and Gunnison rivers, so down near the river not far. A whole lot of rural properties have water rights to irrigation water off the river. Even many suburban properties do. Our neighborhood owns an irrigation pond (actually it's on our property) with a pump that pressurizes the neighborhood's irrigation system. You wouldn't want to drink it without treatment, but it's water.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/4/2019 6:47 PM

Thanks for the reply, very useful information and much appreciated. 

New Post
3/4/2019 9:31 PM

I don't know about Colorado but where I live all wells are logged by the county. Well logs which include depth are available as pubic record and can be had at the county public works offices. They can vary a lot over some short distances. My well is ~150 ft. deep and others within a sq mile of me range from 60 ft to 260 ft. It all depends on the depth of the aquifer where you drill. You could probably contact the county and get the logs for areas you are looking at sent to you for a fee, maybe even electronically.

New Post
3/4/2019 10:32 PM

Thanks Snakey.   9.4in of annual rain is desert for sure.  I don't think I could live there.  I'll bet it takes 25 acres to graze one cow.  A place like Flagstaff is as dry as I could tolerate.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereGrand JunctionGrand Junction