Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereColorado to Alaska in a camp trailerColorado to Alaska in a camp trailer
Previous

Next
New Post
6/18/2018 1:16 PM

Just got back from Alaska. Here is the trip video:

Lots of questions trickling in, so here's a placeholder thread for me to answer people's questions. I also intend to update the thread on camp trailers when I get a chance as well now that I've "stress tested" our new trailer.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/21/2018 8:53 AM

I enjoyed the video very much.

It really flooded me with memories, long lost I thought.

I was a young one, somewhere around 10 when my father decided to drive the family across Canada from New York up the Alcan for a Vacation.

we did the trip in a Checker Station Wagon.

I relate to your daughters, it was trying to make the miles but we had some great times.

My sister and I really bonded on that trip.

Thank you for sharing.

New Post
6/24/2018 7:06 PM

Hey Evan, if you get some time I'd like to see your route.  19 days (iirc) and it seemed like you covered some territory.  I was pushing 30, on paper, when planning a similar trip.

New Post
6/25/2018 11:23 AM

The route needed 5 weeks to do it justice. But you do what you can with the time you have. On the way up:

• Junction - SLC
  • SLC - Blackfoot, ID
  • Blackfoot - Missoula (extremely beautiful, but would save it for a shorter regional trip of it's own if I did it again)
  • Missoula - Eureka (I prefer the drive up the other side of the valley through Seeley Lake)
  • Roosville border crossing - very relaxed
  • Roosville - Radium Hot Springs, BC (beautiful)
  • Radium - Castle Junction (very nice, saw the wolves on this leg)
  • Castle Junction - Jasper (one of the nicest parts of the whole trip)
  • Jasper - Prince George - Chetwynd - Peace River (ok, certainly nicer than everything east of Grande Cache up towards Dawson which is crap. In fact, everything south of Fort Nelson on the Alaskan Highway is crap. But you can really buzz through it. I'm glad I took the time to see the Peace River at least once because I'd heard so much about it. )
  • Peace River - Fort Nelson (crap)
  • Fort Nelson - Watson Lake (my favorite chunk of country out of the entire trip)
  • Watson Lake - Carcross (not bad, not awesome. Carcross itself I really liked)
  • Carcross - Skagway - Whitehorse (I suppose Skagway is worth visiting, but I'm not convinced. Whitehorse I didn't spend the time in that I really wanted either up or down. Several museums I think I would have liked)
  • Whitehorse - Fairbanks (Destruction Bay is another tirp highlight. Tok - FBX is kind of crap country)
  • FBX - Anchorage (everything south of the Alaska range is kind of crappy. we didn't go out to the Kenai which I know is nice, but has tons of people)

On the way back, I went from Cantwell to Paxson on the gravel Denali Highway. That was another trip highlight, but there are a LOT of people on it. Glenallen to Tok was a nice run with fewer people on it. I also ended up going through Calgary and dropping all the way south on 15.

What I've been recommending to people who ask is to do Banff - Jasper and a loop through BC as it's own trip. Having seen those areas, I'm tempted to do exactly that sometime in the not too distant future. Then when you want to do the Alcan as a trip, push hard out on the plains all the way to Fort Nelson the fastest way possible and then slow down after that. I'd say you could turn around at Destruction Bay but at that point you might as well finish out the highway. Unless you have a lot of time, Alaska is probably best done as it's own trip by flying into Anchorage. I haven't decided yet, but I might have a backpacking trip into the Alaska range on my list. Logistically, that's an easy one. Where I'd much rather backpack is somewhere in the vicinity of Toad River in northern BC. However, I don't even know how you get there short of driving for a day or two from a small regional airport. Which is part of why that area is so awesome.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/25/2018 1:01 PM

"The route needed 5 weeks to do it justice. But you do what you can with the time you have."

I was beating around the bush with the question "Were you rushed?" and you answered. :)

I've toyed with the idea of ferrying up to say Seward or Homer and then driving back, which would help with the time constraints, but it comes with its own set of obstacles (the price). Also, had a friend present the idea of driving a vehicle up, selling it and flying back but that ends up with even more logistical issues.

New Post
6/25/2018 7:54 PM

There's just no way to do a trip like that quickly and still have time for some hiking. Banff and Jasper are stellar in their own right - particularly around the end of May/start of June when there are fewer tourists.

I think my favorite part of the video was watching your daughter examine your front bumper at the 8 minute mark.

New Post
6/27/2018 4:49 AM

Evan, thanks for all the insight on the trailer and trailer life at the gathering!
If you were doing more camping solo would you still prefer a ~21' trailer? At what group size would you go bigger?
With normal water/shower usage the 20g water tank needed refilled every day or every couple days?
Any other additions, modifications, or removals you can think of?

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

New Post
7/2/2018 4:51 PM

If I was *only* camping solo, I'd certainly consider something with a 16' cabin versus the 18' cabin I have. Any bigger than the 4 we're currently housing, with maybe the occasional guest on the converted dinette, and we'd need bigger. With 4 people taking a shower every day and otherwise fully using the systems, the 20 gallon tank needs a daily refill and the black tank needs to be dumped every other day. Or perhaps every third day. Every other day is conservative. Without taking showers, the water tank usage goes way down.

At some point, I'd like to add an inversion generator. Primarily to run the A/C away from electricity. That would give us a little bit more flexibility in the desert. Even spring and fall in the desert, A/C would be pretty nice when staying low. It would be easy to add a second battery, but I'll wait until I start seeing signs of a single battery not being enough.

Right now, I have a 4" hitch adapter bolted around the existing bumper. I'd really like to have that welded into a stronger part of the frame. Heck, 2 of them at different heights could be nice - one down low for a cargo shelf (firewood, spare water, generator), one higher for bicycles.

New Post
7/3/2018 9:32 AM

Thanks Evan!
How hard would it be to install a 30g water tank?
The twin hitches is a neat idea.

Talk is cheap...lets compare fur checks.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereColorado to Alaska in a camp trailerColorado to Alaska in a camp trailer