Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereSuggestions for family friendly camp locationsSuggestions for family friendly camp locations
Previous

Next
New Post
1/7/2019 11:59 AM

I'm looking for suggestions on where to take the family this year where we can get a little hiking in while camping.

Family includes: Wife, 4yo, 1yo (in an Osprey child carrier/backpack). Possibly 2 dogs as well.

We've enjoyed the trails in national parks in the past (before 1yo joined us), Zion, Glacier, Yellowstone. I'd like to get away from people but not sacrifice the views. Adventure would be great. Lakes, rivers, canyons, caves, wildlife etc.

We live in southern Idaho and would like something withing several hours of driving. Anything in Idaho would be a bonus since we have in state fishing licenses already. We can either take our tent trailer or family size tent. Driving a Silverado Crew Cab.

Appreciate the help!

New Post
2/19/2019 5:13 PM

I went up through Mackey / Challis / Salmon and into Hamilton Montana last spring. I was very impressed and need to get back. If you haven't done that yet, it's a no-brainer with your tent trailer. Poke up through there, take every side road that looks interesting, camp where you like, and have a great time.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/5/2019 3:16 AM

Anywhere your driving you'll be running into plenty of people. Just the way it is.

If your in Boise you could explore the desert of the Owyhee country, or the deepest canyon in N American at Hells Canyon.

There plenty of periphery trails for you to hit in the Frank Church. Maybe drive the Magruder corridor and hike some trails branching off the road?

Maybe hike into some of the stunning pinnacles and lakes in the sawtooths?

Also, don't overlook areas that might have hot springs you could enjoy.

Really, just get a state gazette and start looking online on what you want to see. Your really in a location where there no excuse to even ask. Your in Idaho for goodness sake.

If you want to look to Montana, I suggest the Caninets in the NW corner of the state.

The Crazy mtns are cool starting at Half Moon campground with some nice falls next to the small campground and above are trails into the mountains and lakes. Across the Yellowstone from the Crazies is the Boulder River and there's an wonderful big waterfall on that river with plenty of trails up the West Boulder.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. But truly you can't have too much trouble finding where to go due to your homebase.

New Post
3/5/2019 7:37 AM

The Trinity Lakes area on the Boise National Forest is quite nice for family outings. It's about a two hour drive out of Mountain Home. There are three different campgrounds located on different lakes in the area. Big Trinity Lake has plenty of camp sites and located there also is the Rainbow Basin trail system. It's roughly four miles back in to the furthest lake and there are eight different lakes accessed by the trail. The forest service also has a lookout tower in the area with a great view of Rainbow Basin but due to the road being in poor condition they keep the gate shut so you have to hike to the lookout tower. I know there are some other trails in that area but I am not very familiar with most of them.

If you access the area from Featherville the road is in pretty good condition. If you come up from the Fall Creek side the road is in pretty poor shape.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsOut ThereOut ThereSuggestions for family friendly camp locationsSuggestions for family friendly camp locations