By continuing you agree to our use of cookies. You are able to update your settings at any time.

Cookie Policy

A cookie, also known as an HTTP cookie, web cookie, or browser cookie, is a piece of data stored by a website within a browser, and then subsequently sent back to the same website by the browser. Cookies were designed to be a reliable mechanism for websites to remember things that a browser had done there in the past, which can include having clicked particular buttons, logging in, or having read pages on that site months or years ago.

Strictly Necessary Cookies

These cookies cannot be disabled

These cookies are necessary for the website to function and cannot be switched off. They are normally set in response to your interactions on the website e.g. logging in etc.

Cookies:
  • .ASPXANONYMOUS
  • .DOTNETNUKE
  • __RequestVerificationToken
  • authentication
  • CV_Portal
  • CV_Store_Portal_Cart_21
  • CV_USER
  • dnn_IsMobile
  • language
  • LastPageId
  • NADevGDPRCookieConsent_portal_21
  • userBrowsingCookie

Performance Cookies

These cookies allow us to monitor traffic to our website so we can improve the performance and content of our site. They help us to know which pages are the most and least popular and see how visitors move around the site. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. If you do not allow these cookies we will not know when you have visited or how you navigated around our website.

Cookies:
  • _ga
  • _gat
  • _gid

Functional Cookies

These cookies enable the website to provide enhanced functionality and content. They may be set by the website or by third party providers whose services we have added to our pages. If you do not allow these cookies then some or all of these services may not function properly.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

Targeting Cookies

These cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used by those companies to build a profile of your interests and show you relevant adverts on other sites. They do not store directly personal information, but are based on uniquely identifying your browser and internet device. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.

Cookies:

Currently we are not utilizing these types of cookies on our site.

HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie Belt and Newer K FramePrairie Belt and Newer K Frame
Previous

Next
New Post
12/15/2016 6:04 PM

At the urging of scothill I've decided to make a new thread to figure out how to mount a prairie belt on a new style Duplex frame.

I'm looking to fit a Prairie Belt to my newer (not sure the year) K. Duplex frame with carbon stays. Basically I want an external frame pack with a belt rig that I can separate from the pack in areas with heavy brush.

The lumbar pad on my Duplex is held up with two Velcro tabs that go through grommets in the frame and the bottom of the stays are covered in nylon that folds over the bottom of the frame.

I can see two fairly obvious methods of doing this:

1) Fold the nylon back to expose the stays and tuck the stays into the back of the PB. I'm not sure how well this would work with what I believe is referred to as a second generation Duplex.

2) Modify the Prairie Belt so that the two pockets on the back form one large pocket and slide the frame in similar to how the K belt is configured.

Pictures will follow for those who are not aware of how the newer k frames go together.

Thoughts? Other ideas? Will one of these methods work?

New Post
12/23/2016 8:29 AM

Sorry I forgot to take pictures guys. I'll get some up but the more I look at it the more I think it will work.

When I get around to ordering a Lindi I'll get a PB with it and figure it out for sure. I'm steering clear of the Ute since I have the Duplex and docking an Umlindi (w/ Tara) and a dry bag to the external frame should give me all the load carrying ability I could ever need.

I can see nothing more versatile than the following pack setup for all conditions:

Duplex Frame w/ Prairie Belt, HPG Harness, and Cargo Panel

Umlindi
Tarahumara w/ Insert and HPG Tool Roll
Appropriate Drybag for trip.

I seriously thought about adding an Attache to this setup but since I started using the HPG Tool Roll this week I don't think I'll need it unless I end up needing a briefcase of some sort for work. The Tara on an Umlindi should make a fine travel setup and, overall, I can't think of anything I couldn't accomplish with such a setup.

New Post
12/23/2016 9:57 AM

Well if you need any help I have a ultralight duplex 22" here and a hpg harness. I dont have a prarie belt though. The harness goes on fine on the frame but you need some foam and preferably a couple of kifaru k clips. The kclips give the harness an anchor point at the top. I attached mine the way shown to get the harness as low as possible.

New Post
12/24/2016 8:14 AM

Unless they changed this aspect of the design on the new frame, I think one problem you're going to face in using a Prairie Belt on a K frame is that the bottom of the Kifaru Duplex shoulder straps don't attach to the frame. The bottom part of the shoulder straps are sewn to the Duplex belt at around 5 and 7 o'clock. So if you're using the Prairie belt, you're going to have to find an alternative spot/method of attaching the bottom of the shoulder straps to the Kifaru frame.

New Post
12/25/2016 11:55 AM

ramoniac wrote:

Unless they changed this aspect of the design on the new frame, I think one problem you're going to face in using a Prairie Belt on a K frame is that the bottom of the Kifaru Duplex shoulder straps don't attach to the frame. The bottom part of the shoulder straps are sewn to the Duplex belt at around 5 and 7 o'clock. So if you're using the Prairie belt, you're going to have to find an alternative spot/method of attaching the bottom of the shoulder straps to the Kifaru frame.

I was thinking G-hooks would work on the front of prairie belt.

New Post
12/27/2016 7:20 PM

Alright, Umlindi and PB are on the way so we'll know soon enough. I really don't want to have a Ute too so I'm praying this works.

I was holding off but after having a (comfortable!) 20 pound load in the Tara today I decided to go ahead with it. That same load in another popular EDC pack has always been rather uncomfortable and resulted in sore shoulders. Seriously, the Tara is a gateway drug for the HPG harness system!

New Post
12/28/2016 5:35 PM

Veriest - I started out with a Tara, and then an Umlindi, and now a Ute... It really is a gateway drug! I really like the Umlindi, and I like the PB. They hold up great and do their job wonderfully. I'm not entirely sure what you're planned use is, but it makes a great day bag, a pretty decent overnight bag, and a passable three day bag. The HPG harness is just the best thing ever. My only "complaint" for the Umlindi is I think I'd prefer the harness attached more like the Ute, but I'm sure the Hills did what they did for a good reason, and I kinda doubt that would make carry 45lbs more comfy in it. Anyways, I'm rambling. Moral: their stuff is addicting.

New Post
12/28/2016 7:50 PM

The Tara/Umlindi combo will be replacing my GoRuck GR1 as an EDC and One Bag Travel Rig.

The combo should also double as a solid backpacking setup. I travel pretty light and currently use an old ULA Conduit for this but the comfort of the HPG harness cannot be ignored. The Conduit is about 50 liters and, combined, the Tara and Umlindi should come in right around 48 liters if my calculations are correct. Add an original kit bag and I should be able to carry just about all I need to carry for three season use.

If I need to carry more the Umlindi will be attached to my Duplex frame or the Tara will be attached to the back of the K Load Hauler and a giant dry bag (or bags) added against the frame.

At this time I do not plan on getting rid of the Conduit but it's not out of the question. I have a bunch of other packs I've tried over the years and can't remember being this excited after getting and using them. They've all fallen short and will be getting the proverbial axe soon as I consolidate into a 3 or 4 pack and one messenger/diaper bag system. By the way, a Tarainsert is a great way to organize a diaper bag: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOk9HNbgKR2/?taken-by=veriest1

New Post
1/4/2017 9:06 PM

I got a chance to play with the PB and Duplex today. I think it's going to work once I replace the straps with the HPG Harness. The plan there will be to use G-Hooks on the HPG harness to attach it to the hip belt or frame at about the same place where the Kifaru straps were attached.

Here's what I did to attach the belt to the bottom of the Duplex frame:

After removing the K belt I uncovered the stays and placed them in the space allocated for them on the HPG belt. I then used the webbing that usually covers the stays to go OVER the Prairie Belt and secure it to the bottom of the frame (it might be best to extend these about an inch for better contact with the velcro once the Prairie Belt is in place). I then simply folded the lumbar pad back over and secure it. Everything felt really solid and I'm quite confident it will work. 

I'll provide further updates as I learn more. I'm fairly confident in this Tara, Umlindi, Duplex trifecta I've "stumbled" upon to cover most, if not all, of my packing needs.

EDIT: Looks like the HPG harness may hook in to the lowest point on the side the Duplex without modification and in a fashion similar to how it's mounted on the Umlindi. If this works the only real work that may need to be done is extending the covers for the frame stays. Part of me thinks this modification may be unnecessary because the lumbar pad should hold everything in place and relieve the tension from the velcro.

New Post
6/26/2021 7:28 AM

@veriest1 I'm curious if you have any photos of this setup.

I currently have a Kifaru Duplex Lite frame and considering a different belt option because of some fitting challenges (too big for one size, too small for another).

Will a Prairie Belt work on a Kifaru duplex (lite) frame? It looks like the pocket for the stays could be modified, creating one large pocket for the Kifaru frame to slide into it like in the duplex belt. Alternately, perhaps the stays could individually slide into each existing pocket and then be wrapped, somewhat like described above.

I wouldn't be looking to swap the entire HPG harness, just the belt. I'm wondering if using the tabs on the back of the HPG Prairie Belt are viable attachment points (K-clips or other), or perhaps using some of the rearward PALS/MOLLE webbing for shoulder and/or delta straps.

Anyone else experienced, seen, or can share insights into this curiosity?

New Post
6/26/2021 7:37 PM

I’ve owned both, however, never tried the mix and match. I’d be curious if it can be worked out. I love the duplex light frame, however, hated the belt. The prairie is the best belt ever. I don’t have a duplex any more so I can’t try it out. I would like to see the pictures too though. Nothing beats a prairie belt or the hpg yoke.

New Post
6/27/2021 9:57 AM

I've never seen or tried on a Prarie belt. I like the duplex belt - it feels great. My issue is fitment. One size isn't big enough, but the next size up bottoms out when cinching under tremendous load, which renders the belt somewhat useless.

Because of this, I'm wondering if the Prairie Belt is better suited for me, allowing the range of adjustment I need that the duplex sizing doesn't allow. If the prairie belt is even better and can be compatible with the duplex light frame, it may be an expense worth considering.

Anyone else out there tried/using this approach that you can discuss and share photos of?

New Post
6/28/2021 12:36 PM

Strongarm I had the same issue. I tried my belt size for my duplex and it always felt loose, I could never get it tight enough. I went a size down and it still never felt as comfortable as the Prairie Belt. The Prairie belt seems to lock into my waist really well with it's tightening system. I think it's because the Prairie Belt tightening straps are offset where as the duplex sit on top of each other.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGPrairie Belt and Newer K FramePrairie Belt and Newer K Frame