Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHPG Prairie Belt, Shoulder Harness and Tarahumara on ALICE FrameHPG Prairie Belt, Shoulder Harness and Tarahumara on ALICE Frame
Previous

Next
New Post
6/8/2013 3:42 PM

I was able to rig something up so that my Prairie Belt and Shoulder Harness could attach onto an old ALICE frame I have.  I went ahead and rigged the Tarahumara on there too, just as a place holder for now.  I've got a C20M Packbag and V2 Shoulder Harness inbound that is earmarked for the ALICE frame.  The Tara will ride as a back pocket / compression panel for the C20M.  I plan to keep the Tara rigged with its own Shoulder Harness and stuff it down into the slot pocket when not in use.  That way, I'll be able to pop the Tara off of the main pack and use it as a small side journey pack.  I attached the Prairie Belt using a pair of short MALICE clips that I routed through the very last sets of PALS webbing along the back of the PB and around a 2" webbing strap I rigged to the frame.  It rides pretty nice like that.  If need be, I will be able to easily detach the PB and roll with that for side journeys, too.  One additional thing I've got coming in to improve the comfort and increase capacity of this set up is an Alipad from HSGI.  It should route around and over the HPG PB and Shoulder Harness decently and really breathe new life into the old ALICE frame.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/10/2013 1:49 PM

I figured there was a way to marry up a Prairie Belt and ALICE frame. Be interested to hear how it carries for you.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
6/10/2013 2:37 PM

That looks good, I am also interested in hearing how it rides.

New Post
6/11/2013 1:28 AM

alipad 

Honestly, I don't think the Alipad will mate with the shoulder harness and prairie belt, and if it did I think it would be a step DOWN in suspension. More padding does not mean better.

have you tried this set up with very much weight? I've played around quite a bit with ALICE frames and hip belts and have had very poor luck with actually transfering weight to the hips and that was with dedicated adaptor panals, not MALICE clips.

New Post
6/11/2013 1:29 AM

alipad  Modified By Fowler  on 6/13/2013 8:10:28 PM

double post 

New Post
6/11/2013 5:18 AM

Fowler wrote

Honestly, I don't think the Alipad will mate with the shoulder harness and prairie belt, and if it did I think it would be a step DOWN in suspension. More padding does not mean better.

have you tried this set up with very much weight? I've played around quite a bit with ALICE frames and hip belts and have had very poor luck with actually transfering weight to the hips and that was with dedicated adaptor panals, not MALICE clips.

Afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on that.  I've looked at several photos and videos showing the Alipad on different rucks.  I'm pretty sure it will work.   I have carried A LOT of rucks with plenty of weight in them over the years.  I mounted the C20M packbag onto this set up last night and docked the Tara onto that.  This ruck is feeling more comfortable than any ALICE ruck I've used previously, with weight in it.  The MALICE clips are a non-issue so far for holding the PB onto the frame.  It'll be even better IMO once the Alipad goes on and will reinforce attachment points to the frame.  I do know the difference between a comfortable ruck and one that is not, and whether there is adequate padding for a given pack.  Trust me when I say that I didn't just recently fall off the truck.  I've been using this kind of stuff for quite a few years.

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
6/13/2013 8:09 PM

I'm sure you'll be able to make it work somehow (as they say in the car world "with a welder, a torch and enough money....") but looking at the backside the hipbelt is made to mate to 2" webbing (with some wiggle room, we'll say 3" just to be safe) and the shoulder channels are made to go over regular width shoulder straps. My guess is that the HPG stuff will fit, but you will have to roll/fold them to stuff them through. At that point the HPG will be making very little contact with your body and my guess (without having used the ALIPAD) is that your body won't be able to tell if there is a high quality suspension system or a leather strap on the other side of the ALIPAD.

I know the HPG stuff is comfy, I'm assuming the ALIPAD is comfy, but both together seem redundant. A question I would ask is would the ALIPAD improve the Ute? The Umlindi? If so why, if not, why the ALICE?

the problem I kept running into when I tried to mate different belts to the ALICE is they always seemed to slide or pivot around too much to transfer the weight well, that might not be an issue for you though. Also I had trouble getting the "delta straps" (or whatever you call the webbing the sucks the pack to the waistbelt at the sides) to mate well, I'd love to see how you solved that, have any pics of the side of the belt/frame?

this isn't me trying to be smarter then anyone, I just believe in aggressively pursuing the best options. I'm new around this forum but I know that for me personally I prefer to start a dialogue then just get the "good job!" and "nice work!" responses.

New Post
6/13/2013 8:41 PM

Check my latest post regarding this set-up.  The Alipad went on with out issue.  The version of the Alipad I bought had modifications built into it to so that the HPG belt wasn't scrunched down into 2" channels.  It uses short straps that route araound the Prairie Belt.  Yes...it's true that you won't "feel" the HPG harness when the Alipad is over it, but when the load is heavy enough in the ruck, I will appreciate the extra padding.  The Alipad can come back off pretty easily for lighter loads, which will allow me to run the pack with just the HPG suspension, so I've got that versatility with it.  While I was active duty, I had to do a movement for time under a 50+lb. ALICE for about 40 miles.  I wish very much that I would have had a suspension like this for that event.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGHPG Prairie Belt, Shoulder Harness and Tarahumara on ALICE FrameHPG Prairie Belt, Shoulder Harness and Tarahumara on ALICE Frame