Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte Internal Frame PackUte Internal Frame Pack
Previous

Next
New Post
8/1/2012 12:20 AM

So that's a Ute + Tara? That setup looks like it could do me for the vast majority of my trips. What's the combined weight on that? Also, I see a belt in the picture. For some reason I thought the Ute was going to be belt-less. Is that not the case?

New Post
8/1/2012 3:34 PM

The Tara appears to be a off center zip. Not sure if it's just a Tara mod or if it is one of the options to get with the pack? All I know is that HPG is making their own internal frame system which includes their shoulder harness. The hip belt on the Ute will be detachable if you want to run the Ute cinched down and untra light.

pigmonkey wrote

So that's a Ute + Tara? That setup looks like it could do me for the vast majority of my trips. What's the combined weight on that? Also, I see a belt in the picture. For some reason I thought the Ute was going to be belt-less. Is that not the case?

New Post
8/1/2012 4:38 PM

The Tara appears to be a off center zip. Not sure if it's just a Tara mod or if it is one of the options to get with the pack?

Good eye! I hadn't noticed that.

All I know is that HPG is making their own internal frame system which includes their shoulder harness. The hip belt on the Ute will be detachable if you want to run the Ute cinched down and untra light.

I recall in the past, before the HPG external frame was a sure thing, Evan saying that he thought the Kifaru Duplex belt was the best out there and that improving on it would be the biggest challenge in doing their own external. They've been pretty hush-hush about the external project so far, so I wasn't even sure if it would have a belt or if it would just be the frame and shoulder harness and they expected it to be used with 3rd party belts. If they've solved the belt problem, and the belt that will be on the future external will also be featured on the Ute, I'm going to be pretty excited for this pack!

New Post
8/1/2012 5:07 PM

The back pocket you see in the most recent pictures is the same size as the Tara, but was built from the ground up to be a back pocket. Imagine a Tara without the center zip, but where one of the seams on the center panel is replaced with a zipper. It makes for a really wide vertical access point for the contents of the back pocket.  The depth of it is up for debate. I initially thought it was too deep, then I used it on the trail and decided I liked the depth of it. I just handed the Ute over to Joe for testing. We'll see what he says after he has used the thing on the trail.

We're very excited about our external, but it is still a ways out.

Any pack of this size - Ute and external both - needs to have a belt. It has taken me quite a while to figure out how to do a belt that is an HPG original, offers good functionality with some unique features, but still offers the same level of comfort as the superb Kifaru belt. That is where most of my effort is going right now, and I think I have it cracked. Still work to do there though. The Ute is designed so you *can* carry it beltless, but it will come with a full suspension system including our shoulder harness and our hipbelt.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/1/2012 5:57 PM

Sounds great!

What kind of accessory attachment system are you going with on the belt? PALS?

New Post
8/1/2012 6:03 PM

Yep, PALS on a waist belt is a no-brainer.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/1/2012 8:25 PM

Excellent! That was the correct answer.

New Post
8/2/2012 11:33 AM

Is the off center zip something that will be used in the future? I love that idea... easier to pack up. When I evaluted my new Tara that was one thing I thought of. Off center zipper for better loading. Stretch side pockets. Personally I would rather have a hydro port rather than the garage style zipper. And I think the bottom of the pack needs some drain ports, filled mine up with water hiking out in a rain storm this week. Anyway the Ute looks great too.

New Post
8/2/2012 8:12 PM

Another belt question: will you offer size options, or will it be one size?

I have a 30" waist. I've never found a one-size-fits-all belt from any pack manufacturer that actually fits me. They always have padding that is too wide, preventing me from cinching the belt down to an adequate tightness. If HPG is going to do a one-size belt, my completely bias vote is to discriminate against fat people, not fit people.

New Post
8/3/2012 1:52 AM

This pack looks like its going to be an awesome setup!

New Post
8/3/2012 9:29 AM

pigmonkey wrote

Another belt question: will you offer size options, or will it be one size?

I have a 30" waist. I've never found a one-size-fits-all belt from any pack manufacturer that actually fits me. They always have padding that is too wide, preventing me from cinching the belt down to an adequate tightness. If HPG is going to do a one-size belt, my completely bias vote is to discriminate against fat people, not fit people.

Our plan is for 3 different sizes, and hopefully that will fit everyones needs. 

I do have to say that waist size has nothing to do with fitness. I have known folks with  30" waist that got winded going up a flight of stairs.  Heck I knew one guy who was a weight lifter with some ridicuoulsly low body fat percentage, who never did cardio and as a result wasn't fit despite his >10% body fat.  On the other end of the spectrum I have know big guys who can truck down the trail all day long just as fast as you can with no issues.  I get around pretty good for a guy my size, and yup I can stand to loose a few, but personally I am tired of outdoor companies thinking that only skinny little folks get out and use the back country. We all need to loose preconcieved notions.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/3/2012 10:39 AM

I agree. People of all builds get out there. I was being slightly sarcastic at the end there, which doesn't always translate on the interwebs. Sorry if I offended anyone. Three belt sizes sounds perfect

New Post
8/3/2012 11:17 AM

pigmonkey wrote

If HPG is going to do a one-size belt, my completely bias vote is to discriminate against fat people, not fit people.

Nice.  That was actually something mentioned early into me being brought on with HPG.  The fact that I have a much different body type than the Hills.  Trust me, we will have a belt to fit you. 

New Post
8/3/2012 12:55 PM

Larger shoulder harness size too please...

New Post
8/3/2012 1:28 PM

I hope 3 gets it. I'm worried that fitting Joe on the bottom end (who is too small for a Kifaru small, btw) and Scot on the top end with room to spare for winter clothes will require 2 sizes in the middle to give folks proper fitment. We'll see.

Wes, I really need to see you in a harness. You're long-ish in the torso, but not even close to being the biggest / tallest guy using our harness. That guy I personally fit and our harness was big enough for him. I wonder if you're adjusting it differently, or just simply longer in the torso.

New Post
8/3/2012 10:46 PM

I will say that I was concerned about the fit of the harness also. I am 6'3" with around a 56" chest, a 38" sleeve, 33" inseam, and a loooong torso. Truly a knuckledragger, LOL. After some adjustment, the harness fit great. I had to adjust it the opposite direction of what I thought would work tho. You may have some larger folks than me using your gear, but I will wager I am in the top 5% on sizes.

New Post
8/3/2012 11:31 PM

jetfixr wrote

I will say that I was concerned about the fit of the harness also. I am 6'3" with around a 56" chest, a 38" sleeve, 33" inseam, and a loooong torso. Truly a knuckledragger, LOL. After some adjustment, the harness fit great. I had to adjust it the opposite direction of what I thought would work tho. You may have some larger folks than me using your gear, but I will wager I am in the top 5% on sizes.

I would agree, probably top 5% of people in general!  I think if anyone has any thought the shoulder harness may not fit is smaller guys. I fit in that category and with any weight at all, our harness just melts away and I don't feel it at all. 

New Post
8/8/2012 2:02 PM

I cannot wait for this, once they are in production I can retire my go-to 50L / 3000 cu in patrol pack (a Kifaru Zulu) and I will then have all my packs switched out to HPG ones.  Outstanding as always. 

New Post
8/9/2012 2:25 PM

I think if anyone has any thought the shoulder harness may not fit is smaller guys.

Yeah, I’m about 5′6″, 150lbs. with a 17″in. torso and the HPG harness I owned didn’t really grab on me. Could have had something to do with my asymmetrical shoulders (my right labrum has been reconstructed), though.

New Post
8/11/2012 12:57 PM

Is this pack also going tobe produced in 500d cordura? I like my 1000d packs but there weight is a big downfall, and this pack looks like it could be a problem solver for my needs

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte Internal Frame PackUte Internal Frame Pack