Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte Internal Frame PackUte Internal Frame Pack
Previous

Next
New Post
8/11/2012 4:12 PM

After seeing this, I'm pretty sure my G2 Zulu will be up for sale soon.

New Post
8/11/2012 5:49 PM

Geko0270 wrote

Is this pack also going tobe produced in 500d cordura? I like my 1000d packs but there weight is a big downfall, and this pack looks like it could be a problem solver for my needs

Yep, 500d is our go to fabric.  There has been some talk of Spectra grid as well.  That is very far back on the priorities list, but I feel its weight to strength ration make is a great fabric to use.

Take-a-knee wrote

After seeing this, I'm pretty sure my G2 Zulu will be up for sale soon.

Wow!  I know you were really digging that pack, seems I remember you saying you would die without your Zulu!   That is a strong statement for sure.  I hope we can deliver a homerun for you.

New Post
8/11/2012 8:49 PM

Take-a-knee

What about the zippered top? I know you like zippers about asmuch as I do.

L-R

New Post
8/12/2012 3:37 AM

Finally got to a computer than would let me see the pictures of this. Been looking for an internal Frame to pair with my MR pack for heavier loads and use stand-alone for lighter packing. Definately looks like what I need, especially with the Half Scabbard Evan mentioned. Great for flying too so I don't have to pack around the MR or a military style assault pack. Definately on my short list of things to buy once it goes into production.

Looks like the straps will accomidate some of the extra MR RipZip pockets I "acquried" too which is a huge plus because they don't work well with my Crew Cab or most Assault Packs.

From what I read the waist belt is planned to be removable correct? That's the only thing I wasn't really clear on but I would really like in a pack like this.

New Post
8/12/2012 7:32 AM

Yes the hipbelt will be removable. It is going to have full PALS all the way around, so you can run it as a belt rig while on scouting trips or day hikes/hunts. You know, if your into that kind of thing. 

New Post
8/12/2012 9:01 AM

Better just start moving portions of my paycheck into savings now.

New Post
8/12/2012 7:04 PM

any word on the scabbard? is it integrated in the pack, mounted on the side, the back- or is it still top secret?

New Post
8/13/2012 6:02 PM

Pretty simple back mounted scabbard to get sandwiched under whatever compression panel you choose.

ETA: You could also hang it off of the side as well.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
8/13/2012 6:24 PM

JoeHayes wrote

There has been some talk of Spectra grid as well. 

Yes please! 

New Post
8/13/2012 10:18 PM

Lab-Roamer wrote

Take-a-knee

What about the zippered top? I know you like zippers about asmuch as I do.

L-R

I can tolerate a zipper up top, though I would prefer a ULA style rolltop.  The Hill's compression/back pocket setup is, IMO, a "tactical" more robust system than ULA's, but living out of the two packs would be almost identical.  Going from pack to pack there wouldn't be much , "Now where did I put that thing?".  I'm pumped that a lighter version of the back panel is in the works.  I have an ancient Cabela's Kifaru frame that needs one and a compression panel.

New Post
8/14/2012 1:50 PM

Over time, I've come to not be much of a fan of the double buckle top lid. Compressing strange loads underneath one is always a PITA. I much prefer just throwing something on top of a zippered top lid to expand capacity. That's why all of our over the top straps are so long. What to do with a top lid (particularly one with a pocket in it) when the bag isn't full is equally a PITA. Of course, I started out with that setup myself and used it for years. Zippers fail. Agreed. That's why we use a beefy zipper. It's also why you'll never see a pack from us where a critical zipper isn't backed up by straps. Take a second look at the Tara design and you'll see what I mean.

That's not to say that you'll never see a top lid design from us. Just not right now.

TAK, appreciate the vote of confidence. I think you'll be very happy with the Ute.

forumPoster is not the actual poster. If you are the actual poster, please make another quick post claiming this post. Sorry, too much moderator overhead to change the attribution on this post.

New Post
8/14/2012 3:51 PM

I would have to agree, and it has taken my some time to get to that way of thinking.  Every pack I have ever used from Cub Scouts until now has been a double buckle lid.  When not stuffed to capacity, the lid (with possibles stuffed into it) sags down onto the front of the pack, making getting something from the main bag a pain.  Likewise, this type of pack (like my present go-to pack, a Kifaru Zulu which will go to pasture when the Ute is out) tends to have a collar extension, making getting into the bottom of the pack equally painful.  Until now, I have overlooked top-zipped packs as being not as gucci or robust enough for use in the field.  Then came my Tara (my first pack with a zipper, albeit down the long line and not across the top), and I have never been happier or found more convenience.  So I eagerly await the Ute and hopefully not too long down the trail, the external frame pack that will be it's big brother.  Yes, zippers can fail but I think the ones on HPG packs are robust enough for any conceivable situation.  I have no doubt of that.

Keep up the outstanding innovations lads.

New Post
8/14/2012 4:11 PM

If I remember correctly, didn't you guys use a British Khaki on one of the RKB's and it didn't sell well at all? it was an awesome old school color, but coyote tan users did not agree.

evanhill wrote

When we get to the point of having a production sample made, it will be a two tone pack - ranger green and khaki.

New Post
8/14/2012 6:33 PM

You are right.  The sales of Coyote and Khaki couldn't have been more different.  The two tone packs will be a production sample thing.  We will, of course, share them with you guys for your input.  Two tone, as far as actual production runs, may never happen.  Really up to the masses there.

New Post
8/15/2012 12:32 AM

I'll wait for images before I commit to this comment, but I think the Two-Tone will look great on this pack. Little bit of hippieflage that you can still wear hunting.

New Post
8/16/2012 3:44 PM

I'm all for a 2 tone pack as well, maybe RG and Yote- just don't want to see Khaki used again and have it crash and burn the project or something

ertolbert wrote

I'll wait for images before I commit to this comment, but I think the Two-Tone will look great on this pack. Little bit of hippieflage that you can still wear hunting.

New Post
8/16/2012 11:37 PM

I actually think the Khaki would be fine. Maybe use it for the secondary color with the primary still CB. That way you don't end up with too much of the Khaki on there since apparently people would rather have CB.

New Post
8/17/2012 5:52 AM

I'm new to this forum, but I must say that I am highly impressed with Hill People Gear (HPG), and where your designs are going.

I've used external frame packs for a long time, starting with the old 64-Pattern Canadian Army rucksack I carried in my younger days. I really liked the modularity of that design (we could strap anything to that frame, including a large Arctic sleeping bag carrier, as well as radios and ammo cans) and the load-bearing offered by the external frame (I carried loads which were approaching my body weight ), the frame was strong (we used it for parachuting), but comfort could clearly be improved (it's a short frame, similar to an ALICE, and had very rudimentary shoulder straps and waist belt).

Since then, I've tried many internal and external frame packs, but none offered the modularity which I see evolving with Hill People Gear. I feel we're approaching the Holy Grail of backpacks, and things are getting very interesting.

I really like the Ute prototype. It's similar to the Golite Pursuit I use for backcountry skiing (and will be replacing that pack), but offers much better flexibility with HPG's compression pack design (Highlander or Tara).

I hope the Highlander will integrate well with the Ute. I'm already planning on purchasing a Highlander to carry my Rossi Ranch Hand (at 24" in length, it will fit perfectly in the Highlander's sleeve). The Highlander will also be better for carrying my Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, compared to the shorter Tara.

I assume the Ute will integrate with your forthcoming external frame; is that the plan?

The removable belt which can be used as a standalone web-gear/battle-belt/belt-kit for carrying pouches is also an excellent concept. Will the belt integrate with the shoulder harness?

I like the idea of a two-tone pack. It lessens the military look for urban use or international travel. Foliage (primary) and Ranger Green (secondary) would look great.

Once again, I really like where your designs are headed. Keep up the good work!

New Post
8/17/2012 9:40 AM

Welcome, the highlander will integrate with the Ute. 

The belt is a standalone or on the pack piece. At this point we have not plans to make a setup to integrate with the shoulder harness.  It is a simple matter to strip a belt off and put it back on, but removing both the belt and shoulder harness and putting them back on would be time consuming. 

The ute will fit on external, but it won't be a good match.  The ute is a full internal frame pack with stays bent to your back and some other suspension features.  Strapping to an external would just add weight to your external load that was not needed.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
8/17/2012 6:59 PM

Thanks Scot.

Good news regarding the Highlander.

I'll place my order for one now, along with a Kit Bag, and look forward to when the Ute becomes available.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGUte Internal Frame PackUte Internal Frame Pack