Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGThoughts on making compatible gear/Shoulder Harness dimensionsThoughts on making compatible gear/Shoulder Harness dimensions
Previous

Next
New Post
10/14/2019 9:07 AM

Hey! After a lot of reading on the forum I decided to make an account and participate in the fun.

So I have a question: What do you guys think about making gear compatible with other brands? For example, I am making myself a backpack and would like to make the shoulder straps removeable and even modular like the HPG Shoudler Harness system. I have been trying to find the dimesions of the Shoulder Harness attachment points so I can set up my bag with the same attachment point dimensions, thus allowing me to use the HPG Shoulder Harness if I so choose. 

What do you think of this idea? Not limited to the Shoulder Harness example but other froms of cross platform integration too. Also, could anyone give me the distance between the top attachment points on the HPG Shoulder harness? I sent an email to HPG inquiring about this too but I figure they're pretty busy and after all, this kinda thing is what the forum is ment for.

Thanks!

New Post
10/14/2019 9:14 AM

Everything we make is designed to be modular. We also try to stick to a pals standard spacing and use standardized buckles sizes. That means nothing we do is proprietary in the sense of attaching stuff to our packs or attaching our stuff to other packs provided the other makers stuck to standard spacing and buckle sizing. Unfortunately some well known makers chose to go with non-standard spacing and buckles to force you to use their stuff only. I don't have the spacing for the harness handy, but someone will get back to your email as soon as we get a chance.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
10/14/2019 10:43 AM

Scot, thanks for the fast reply. I really like the fact that you guys use standarized spacing and sizes of components, I would much rather buy a piece of gear with a system like that than one that is proprietary and limiting. Having modular options when setting up your gear makes it perfect for adapting to different situations. Thanks for the info, I look forward to seeing an email from you guys.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsHPGHPGThoughts on making compatible gear/Shoulder Harness dimensionsThoughts on making compatible gear/Shoulder Harness dimensions