Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralTents, not the Skittles varietyTents, not the Skittles variety
Previous

Next
New Post
4/27/2017 9:42 AM

Catoma has really come along with theirs. You may find one that fits your needs. https://www.catomaoutdoor.com/Catalog/CategoryInfo.aspx?CID=109

New Post
4/27/2017 10:39 AM

I've got a couple of different tent designs I've been testing that I like better than anything else out there right now, but they're both floor-less.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
4/28/2017 6:24 AM

evanhill wrote:
I've got a couple of different tent designs I've been testing that I like better than anything else out there right now, but they're both floor-less.

I know you're a fan of free standing floorless. Is what you're testing along those lines?  Also have you used the anklet or similar with a standard tent fly/poles? If so did it work out?
http://shumateshelters.com/index.html

New Post
5/1/2017 1:28 AM

Take a look at Tarptent.com

Good stuff. I like mine. Basic colors.

New Post
5/4/2017 10:16 AM

BSArocker wrote:
I know you're a fan of free standing floorless. Is what you're testing along those lines?  Also have you used the anklet or similar with a standard tent fly/poles? If so did it work out?
http://shumateshelters.com/index.html

One is floorless semi-free standing, and the other is a 1.5lb emergency shelter that works fine if not ideal for ultralight packing. They both use a concept similar to the anklet, but better because it's integral to the design. The anklet is a great idea but most double wall tents don't have the fly going all the way to the ground for ventilation purposes. Good rain protection with an anklet, but not weather (wind, cold, etc.) protection with a ~4" gap all the way around. If you could pair one with a fly that went ALL the way to the ground it would be a good setup.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
5/4/2017 1:00 PM

I also like the Tarptent Moment DW. I have tested mine in all kinds of weather and it has held up well. I run it floorless from time to time when the weather and bugs are not really an issue.  

New Post
7/16/2017 4:36 PM

I've had a Kelty Salida 2 that's been abused for years after paying $100 for it on eBay. Without the fly it's just a mesh dome with a gray tub floor. The fly is white but it's at least a flatte white. It weighs in at just under 4 pounds if you field strip it. Only down side's I've found is the ceiling height and the door being on the side. I have to sleep on the inside because my wife gets out numerous times at night, and she wakes me climbing over.

New Post
7/16/2017 4:48 PM

If you don't like color you could always go with a polycro from Gardner Outdoor Lightweight Designs(GOLD). I've never used one but I see a few thru hikers with them, they seem to hold up better than you'd think.

New Post
7/16/2017 5:19 PM

Another vote for Tarptent, they make a good product, we carry the hogback for just myself and my girlfriend but its a 4 person tent. They have a few good options.

New Post
7/23/2017 8:37 AM

Anoher Happy Tarptent user here.

I been using both a Contrail and a Double Rainbow for over 10 years now.

Condensation can be an issue in a single wall but chosing a good site can alleviate much of that problem.

Sometimes though the site choses you.

Henry Shires the Owner builds a good product and gives excellent customer service.

I just ordered his new model the Bowfin 1 as a free Standing Shelter can sure come in handy  in the areas I play in here in the North East and it is a double wall.

Tarptents gray material is mute enough that it doesn't stand out but could be better.

In the Winter I been using a Hilleberg Soulo and 

I can't say enough good things about it, a fantastic tent, bombproof and sets up easily.

It is no light weight though.

I have it in Sand and it blends nicely into the woods yet is cheerful on the inside.

I used a Hilleberg Akto as well for awhile, nice shelter but I found it finicky to set up, but I am clumsy.

The old Hilleberg Green is a great color, the new green verges on black.

If you can find a MSR Hubba HP that is another good one. Sets up easy and is storm worthy and the green color that mine was is not too bad for a big brand tent.

I prefer a floor in my tent, if you don't care about that a pyramid of the size and brand of your chosing is a great way to go.

I ran a Go Lite Shangri-La 2 for a couple of years  but that was the old yellow color so a no go for you and spent a few nights in a Seek Outside Beyond Timberline 2.

The Seek Outside is a great brown for the woods.

I like tents.

New Post
7/23/2017 12:21 PM

Saw some pretty cool ones from this company down at Warrior Expo East.

http://www.litefighter.com

Hill People Gear Coureurs des Bois (Brand Ambassador). Victoria faveat paratam. De Oppresso Liber.

New Post
7/23/2017 4:58 PM

If a lightweight, 3-Season option will work, Big Agnes is offering a color option this year that looks tolerable ... Olive Green.

New Post
7/25/2017 5:06 PM

Another vote for both Tarptent and Hilleberg. Each has its place and both do an excellent job filling that place.

New Post
7/25/2017 5:39 PM

Lately I've become a big fan of lightheart gear tents. My Solo is silver with a burgundy floor (probably fits in your skittles-colored category), but I just picked up a Solo Awning model that is foliage gray with a forest green bottom that looks pretty inconspicuous.

I don't have any pics of my foliage tent yet, but here's my non-awning tent. They are both dual wall, but the rain fly is attached at the spine. For setup, just stake out the corners of the tent and climb inside for the rest. Uses trekking poles or you can get carbon poles from them.

The Awning version I just bought has more of an awning on one side where the rain fly is propped up and doesn't go all the way to the ground. It's good for rain days where you want to be able to see out more.

Here's somebody else's Solo tent in Green:

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralTents, not the Skittles varietyTents, not the Skittles variety