Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralFile Sheath MaterialFile Sheath Material
Previous

Next
New Post
11/4/2017 6:52 PM

So I've got a simple leather sheath that I made up for a small 4 way file / rasp that I have  (so that I can put it in my pack)

Is there a better, lighter material than leather I can make a better one out of?  One that doesn't hold as much water preferably. 

New Post
11/5/2017 3:39 AM

Firehose

New Post
11/6/2017 8:31 AM

yep, firehose is the go to standard on fire crews. although getting ahold of some in the right diameter if you're not on a crew might be tough. do they sell cloth garden hose?

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
11/6/2017 9:40 PM

I've found this

https://www.ahh.biz/fabric/heavy/firehose-fabric.php

New Post
11/7/2017 3:53 AM

I don't think that's what you want...the fire hose has a rubber lining and a thick nylon exterior. How much do you need?

New Post
11/7/2017 11:46 AM

The leather sheath I made is 9" long and 1.5" wide. (simple folded over and sewn along the loose side)

Maybe 3 times that? I want to make 2 sheaths and another one in case I mess one up?

And do you want the rubber inside against the file? Won't the file rub it out? And won't the rubber keep in moisture against the file? Or better to keep it OUT from the file?

New Post
11/7/2017 12:59 PM

I would use nylon webbing. The tubular stuff might work and be easy to adapt.

New Post
11/7/2017 2:15 PM

Hypalon? You can also get short lengths of various types of tough hose at a hardware store. Not sure it would be lighter than leather, though

New Post
11/12/2017 2:40 PM

Kydex?
I might consider 1000D Cordura, two or three layers if sewn in a sheath, or, since you are talking fabric, use it to wrap the file and tie it like a parcel rather than sew a tube. I sewed a tube to carry a 36" bow saw blade from 100D Cordura. I don't expect it will last forever, but it was used to fly the blade in and out, not keep it masked day in day out, so it will do three or four trips. That saw is much harder on the material than a file will be.
Wrapping will be easier on the fabric than making a tube sheath.
Hypalon would be good. I might be tempted to sew that like a long, shallow envelope, with a flap closure, so that the file is dropped in on a long side, rather than slid in from a short side, if you follow. Again, that saves a lot of rubbing. Actually, could do that with the Cordura too.
Anything that is sufficiently waterproof to keep water away, will hold any water that gets in there. At least with the synthetics though they don't tend to just hold dampness in their fibres the way leather can do.

New Post
Today @ 10:01 AM

I thought of kydex, as I have some and am set up to use it. But the file (and especially the rasp part) would shred the kydex.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralFile Sheath MaterialFile Sheath Material