Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBoots RecommendationBoots Recommendation
Previous

Next
New Post
10/3/2017 2:17 AM

Very informative thread.

New Post
1/11/2018 7:58 AM

Hey Scott,
I to where the asolo 535 boots and have super flat feet. I wear a size 13 and am starting to notice cramping in my left foot (bigger foot of the two) around my smaller toes. I can still kick my foot down and big toe does not touch in the toe box (maybe a little on the corner of big toe) but the insoles are crap. I have a lower end spenco insole in these for arch support but I really don't fell like they are helping. I notice that my feet hurt constantly and even at rest feel kind of pressure on them even when sitting. What do you thing would be the best approach to start to solve or mitigate the issue. Would I really have to go to a podiatrist? Or should I just have a set of custom insoles made?
Thanks

New Post
1/11/2018 10:57 AM

I would start with trying a variety of the nicer insoles available at say REI. I would go into the store and see if you can stand on a few and see how they fit your foot. I forget which brand Evan really likes, but will see if he can jump in as he has a lot more experience with the aftermarket insoles than I do. If you go the custom route, find a person that does athletic insoles, and in my experience that is not a podiatrist. I have podiatrist insoles, which cost a lot, and since I discovered the other style I haven't worn them once. The ones from the podiatrist put my foot in the right position, but do it using hard cork and plastic. They have no give at all, and aren't good for pounding on for lack of a better word. On the other hand the athletic ones are all about supporting and cushioning the foot, so you still get the benefits of the structure, but due to the different materials you also get support. In both cases they made a foot form for me that they then shaped off of.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/11/2018 11:14 AM

The Sole brand insoles work considerably better for me than the Superfeet I used to run. Mostly I use the red medium thickness. Theoretically they mold to your feet under heat. I'm not sure about all of that, but they do work. The custom athletic insoles Scot is talking about are very good if you need them. The good shops are set up to do gate analysis and give you a pair of custom insoles meant for movement. For whatever reason, my oldest had all sorts of issues until we set her up with a pair in 6th grade. She stopped growing right after that and is still using the same pair 5 years later including doing cross country, lacrosse, and of course plenty of hiking and backpacking. If she's not wearing Birkenstocks, she's wearing those insoles. Reminds me I need to get a backup pair made.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/11/2018 11:17 AM

OK, I really do not want to waist, for a lack of better word, money or time going to a podiatrist if it really wont fix anything. And I realize its all subjective because I may get insoles and does not fix the problem and i may end up at a podiatrist one day but i would rather go at it this way instead of the lather. I just do not know anyone that has custom insole done. From either a podiatrist or from another source.
Thanks for the info!

New Post
1/11/2018 11:19 AM

The way I've heard it, you want to stay away from a podiatrist because all they know how to do is support your foot in a static position, not when it's moving. The custom insoles we're talking about are specifically made for high end athletes who have gait problems. They're not particularly expensive, IIRC. ~$250? Not much of an investment for something that will change your whole life.

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
1/11/2018 11:28 AM

What Evan said. I spent something like 750 on a podiatrist, the insole, fitting etc... it worked alright, but for active wear just didn't feel good. I kept driving by a place that advertised the athletic style, and finally stopped in after a xc ski trip, which was almost crippling due to pain. He echoed what Evan said, and made me a pair. No issues since. I ended up having to get the top really soft layer redone as the gel or whatever material was exposed, but the cost was pretty low. I had him make me a new pair first so I wasn't without. At this point, one pair basically lives in my hiking boots and the other gets moved around between the shoes that I am wearing that day. My memory is that $250 is about right, and the resurface on the original pair was like $50 or so, which included shipping. I also seem to remember that the 2nd pair wasn't as expensive since I didn't have to do the foot mold and gait analysis again.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
1/11/2018 11:59 AM

OK, so let me ask about the ones you see online. They send you the mold you step in it and then send it back and they make them and back to you? Go or no GO? Seems like I would be missing the gait testing process. Just thoughts, I was googling a place and these things started popping up.

New Post
1/11/2018 12:02 PM

I have an everfeet in my town. And what are your feelings full vs. 3/4 insoles?

New Post
1/11/2018 12:09 PM

I have no experience with the mail ones, in theory it is the same thing, but I would try and find one local.

New Post
1/11/2018 12:20 PM

Alright guys, Thank you for the info. I'm on it!

New Post
1/12/2018 10:28 AM

After watching the process with my daughter, no way could they make an athletic insole from a mold. That's just going to mirror what the static foot wants. They had her walk and run across some sort of surface where they were able to record what the bottom of the bare foot looked like while it was being used and then made the insole off of those images, which would be different from static standing in a mold.

New Post
1/12/2018 11:11 AM

OK, so I've looked around and maybe I'm not looking up the right thing but all I'm finding is podiatrist. What was the place you took your daughter? Was it a podiatrist or a certified orthopedic etc.? (I think that's how it is spelled) I've been reading and apparently you have to be careful because just because they sell them as custom they still may not how to fit you properly for them. I never realized how much was involved in this. I have a place I'm going to check out tomorrow and see what i can turn up. Plus we have a very competent cobbler here and I though about calling him up and asking him if he may have some possibility to check into.

Again i really appreciate all the info.

New Post
1/12/2018 4:06 PM

Ya know... there were 2 such places in Bend but now that I think about it, that's probably kind of a flier. The place was a mecca for professional and semi-professional endurance athletes. This is the place we went to for my daughter's insoles:
https://www.cyclesoles.com/
I think Scot might have used the other one.

New Post
1/13/2018 6:38 PM

Alright, so I went today to a local boot shop. They did not do custom insoles but she did get me in the right direction. There is a prosthetics place close by that does custom insoles, going to call them Monday.
They did in the other hand have a little digital board you stand on and it shows weight distribution. I apparently put most my weight on my hills. That then spits out a number and it is associated with an insole and there you have it. New insoles. I also had here resize my feet. I did not buy those insert as I was not impressed with them in my shoe but I will be calling this place she told me about Monday and gonfrom there.

New Post
1/17/2018 9:08 AM

The only times I wear boots anymore is for working with the chainsaw or hunting. I wear Muck Wetland rubber boots for hunting here in Virginia during cold weather. I’ve found them warm down to -3 degrees if I’m moving and about 15 degrees if I’m still hunting. They are also also very comfortable for walking. I have never used them in mountainous terrain so I can’t comment on that. 

I am an ultralight backpacker and when I’m on the trail I use trail running shoes with short gaiters. I I have not worn boots while on the trail in over a decade. As Evan stated at the outset your feet will gradually grow stronger as they adapt to less support. 

As for warmth, as long as your moving you are fine. At camp, during the evening, it can be an issue so I use down booties with a hard sole for sleeping and moving around camp in the cold. 

New Post
1/17/2018 10:35 AM

I understand that. I actually PT and the such in as little support as possible to strengthen my feet. I am typically a boot/hiking shoe guy. I do have some trail runners i do light hiking in during the hot weather here in NC. I think a lot of it has to do with me getting a bit older and the "suck it up, drink water" mantra has (or started to) falling by the waist side. Having said that I was even issued special New Balance 587 running sneakers in boot so apparently it was an issue when I was 18 I was just less aware of it.
I still have yet to find a place around here (outside of a podiatrist) to fit me for insoles so I ended up ordering a set from an online place that does the molds. I guess we shall see if it will be a waste. I will update when I can. I actually talked to the guy over the phone several times with all of my concerns and of course he assured me that "he would take care of me". RIGHT!! I am a very skeptical until I see it first hand, but I guess someone has to be the guinea pig. I kinda of have a belief of not trusting until given a reason to. We shall see and I will go from there. Guess I will just have to make another trip to CO to get me some insoles, HA.

New Post
1/17/2018 10:35 AM

*Chriscscs*
What kinda of camp booties do you use?

New Post
1/17/2018 11:14 AM

Bobcass13, I use Sierra Designs. Purchases at REI about 9 years ago. I’m not sure if they are still available.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralBoots RecommendationBoots Recommendation