Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralParacord SourceParacord Source
Previous

Next
New Post
3/10/2018 2:19 PM

Exhausted the last of my 25 year old supply of paracord today. I believe it is called 550? Wondering where is a good source to replenish the supply. Don't want massive quantities, maybe 500'-1000'. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

New Post
3/10/2018 4:34 PM

OK, since originally posting have done a little research on sources for paracord and am wondering which is better, the 550 Type III or the 5040 Type III?

New Post
3/10/2018 6:26 PM

Check Supply Captain they have tons of different kinds of 550. Don't know about the other kind.

New Post
3/10/2018 6:51 PM

I usually buy mil-spec 500' rolls on Ebay from the cheapest source.

The military's official specifications for "550 cord" (which is a generic term these days) is 5040 with (H) being the latest revision. There's a "Commercial" version of "550 cord" out there, but most places don't attempt to pass it off as mil-spec.

New Post
3/11/2018 1:48 PM

I may be giving way out of date info here but the OD paracord isn't "550", it actually, or at least did in 1984 when I went to Jumpmaster School at Benning, has a tested breaking strength of 375 lb.  The white stuff from a reserve parachute actually is (or was) 550.  FYI, Zing-It brand spectra cord is FAR superior to paracord for most applications, as it has almost no stretch.

New Post
3/11/2018 3:51 PM

As I alluded in my post, "550 cord" is largely a generic term these days. The best practice (if your cord usage is critical) is to buy from reputable sources. The good stuff will be designated Type III, have 7, 8 or 9 twisted core strands, and each of those strands will be of twisted 3 strand construction, as well. The stretch/elongation rating will be at least 30%.

If you're buying cord that was actually produced under a government contract, one of the inner strands will "color marked". The outer sheath color means nothing in terms of quality or specification and there are a number of suppliers selling quality cord that otherwise meets most of the mil-spec standards.

New Post
3/11/2018 7:47 PM

Appreciate the info shared here.
Agree with you Take-a-knee on the Zing-it...good stuff and I use it for my hammock tarp and tent fly guy outs, but I still prefer my paracord for some things.
I found a supplier that I think will meet my requirements.
Again, thanks to all who chimed in....much appreciated.

New Post
3/19/2018 5:43 PM

Update: Ended up ordering from Paracord Planet. Excellent customer service-they answered all my technical questions and I had my order in two days with free shipping.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralParacord SourceParacord Source