Hill People Gear Forums
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGPSGPS
Previous

Next
New Post
3/2/2018 12:33 PM

GPS 

Headed to the wilds of AK again, and this time want to have a GPS. I am almost totally ignorant on the subject so don't really even know the proper questions to ask. I'm not into bells and whistles, but am looking for a solid basic unit that is dead certain reliable for marking a location and getting me back to it again when need be. I'm mainly thinking of being able to find camp after dark, or in a heavy fog. Also if I have an animal down getting back to it the next day. When responding remember I'm a rank amateur in this area so keep it simple! Anxious to hear your suggestions. 

Thanks.

New Post
3/2/2018 3:57 PM

The first question you need to ask is if you want base maps in the GPS or just pure GPS function. If it is the first then you have a ton of choices with different sizes, shapes, ruggednesses, etc... Personally I tend to go for the latter, in which case it is hard to be the Fortrex 401 (I think that is the version they are up to at this point). It is just a straight up GPS. I mainly use it for river travel, which can be a bit similar to your fog scenario, but have used it in the past to confirm location using a paper map. I use the Fortrex (201 in my case), paper maps, and the mapping in my phone.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/2/2018 5:46 PM

+1 on the Garmin 401. Lightweight, no frills and simple. Great for marking trailheads, camp and anything else you need. I’m in the map and compass group but the 401 sure makes it easy.

New Post
3/2/2018 8:46 PM

Appreciate the replies. I like the stats on the 401. Is there anything else I need that I'm overlooking? Looked at the 401 on Amazon and as always there are several different sellers. Some advertise the 401 as waterproof while others say nothing about waterproofness. One seller calls it a "Hikers GPS." Another touts it as a military GPS. Are they all the same unit, or are there different versions of the 401?

Thanks.

New Post
3/4/2018 6:31 AM

I was wrong there are newer models
https://hillpeoplegear.com/Forum/forumid/23/threadid/25334/scope/posts
As to the rest, I am pretty sure they are all the same it is just marketing hype.

Co-Owner Hill People Gear "If anything goes wrong it will be a fight to the end, if your training is good enough, survival is there; if not nature claims its foreit." - Dougal Haston

New Post
3/4/2018 7:14 AM

Thanks for the link, Scot. After reading the other thread I still think (based on my limited knowledge) it sounds like the 401 is all I need.

New Post
3/4/2018 11:01 AM

I would say the 401 or 601, depending on which is going to sync faster and more accurately.

New Post
3/4/2018 11:09 AM

Another probably dumb question: is there a way I can know which will sync faster and more accurately? Thanks.

New Post
3/4/2018 11:36 AM

My guess is the 601 does, but I haven't read up.

New Post
3/4/2018 2:18 PM

OK. I'll get to the Garmin website and do some reading. Thanks.

New Post
3/5/2018 7:52 AM

Don't know the model numbers, but I know that out of the two new variants one has a ballistics calculator and one doesn't. Presumably you want the one without. This might also help you understand the field a little better - I talk at a high level about what a GPS can do for you and what it can't. Might help inform your purchase decision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fug3E8RvLug

We are fortunate in this matter that your conduct will be your marker and, thus, your reputation. The conduct of others on this forum has been, and will continue to be, their marker, and thus, their reputation. In the west, a person invests in one's reputation carefully. - 112Papa

New Post
3/5/2018 8:33 AM

Good video, Evan. Thanks for sharing.

New Post
3/30/2018 6:00 AM

Just a question.
Why wouldn't you use a phone with a good outdoor navigation app? I know some known hikers prefer GPS units, but I really like locusmap.eu navigation app which works on any Android phone. To reduce the battery discharge you can always switch into airplane mode. Additionally I bring my RAVPower 20100mah Battery on longer hikes which allows me to charge my phone for over 4 times.

New Post
3/30/2018 6:56 AM

Thanks for the comment. I don't know enough about the subject to give you an answer, so I'm hoping others will respond.

New Post
3/30/2018 9:37 AM

Well. The question was for you actually ;)
If you have an Android phone you can just install their free application which you can find at http://locusmap.eu The app is really good and members of our Mountain Rescue Service use it too.
You can download offline maps. Some of them for free of charge but you can also buy some for a small fee.
I really like that you can plan your hike in advance and then you can just follow the trail you planned. What I usually do is that I download GPX tracks that some other people published on services like gpsies.com and then I can just follow their trail.

New Post
3/30/2018 9:00 PM

Interesting. I would assume Apple has the same feature?

New Post
3/31/2018 12:29 AM

To tell you the truth I was searching for such an app for my iPad a while ago and I didn't find any similar.
But there are at least two issues I know with iPhones.
1. iPhones just turn themselves off automatically in cold weather. I read several complains from people who were skiing and their iPhone just turned off and they were unable to turn it on again until they warmed it up.
2. Apple uses aluminum for the phone case. This is bad because it bends and then the display crashes. I used an iPad for flying my DJI drone in the past. And I had to replace two iPads because: one fell down just from a feet high and crashed. The second one just flipped on the floor and the display crashed. My Microsoft Surface Pro tablet is made of magnesium and it fell from waist high onto a concrete floor and it only got a minor scratch.

Previous

Next
HomeHomeDiscussionsDiscussionsGeneralGeneralGPSGPS